SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
the1999kid
Default Sonic Robo Blast on console

Is there a way to port the first Sonic Robo Blast to the console? And if so how many consoles can it be ported to? And can you name them please?
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
toaster
トースタちゃん
 
toaster's Avatar
Default

The only console SRB2 (alongside sister project SRB2Kart) is currently playable on is Nintendo Switch, which you can find the downloads of... somewhere in Releases, I think. It's previously been available in stripped down releases on Dreamcast, OG Xbox, and Wii, but those were based on old versions of the base game.

The game can be ported to any recent, unlocked or cracked platform with enough time and effort. It's just not something where there's an intersection between "people who care about it" and "people who know how to do it" - so it doesn't really end up happening.

And I guess if you meant the original Sonic Robo Blast, the answer is none, because the source code has been lost to time and its not even remotely fun to play in order to reverse-engineer.
__________________
Quote:
<fickle> giant robo-hood that rips the map apart with her bare hands
shameless plug: please check out my sonic mania lego ideas project, it could become a real thing if yalls support it

Last edited by toaster; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:30 PM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
the1999kid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
The only console SRB2 (alongside sister project SRB2Kart) is currently playable on is Nintendo Switch, which you can find the downloads of... somewhere in Releases, I think. It's previously been available in stripped down releases on Dreamcast, OG Xbox, and Wii, but those were based on old versions of the base game.

The game can be ported to any recent, unlocked or cracked platform with enough time and effort. It's just not something where there's an intersection between "people who care about it" and "people who know how to do it" - so it doesn't really end up happening.
I said the first Sonic Robo Blast, Not Sonic Robo Blast 2.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
And I guess if you meant the original Sonic Robo Blast, the answer is none, because the source code has been lost to time and its not even remotely fun to play in order to reverse-engineer.
Even if itís possible to port it to the Xbox 360?
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Rob
Administrator
 
Rob's Avatar
Default

It's not. The first SRB2 was a klik-n,-play game, whose engine is designed entirely by an ancient version from over 20 years ago and the source would be ridiculously hard to port over, even if we had it. The original game isn't gonna be available on a non-pc platform.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
the1999kid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It's not. The first SRB2 was a klik-n,-play game, whose engine is designed entirely by an ancient version from over 20 years ago and the source would be ridiculously hard to port over, even if we had it. The original game isn't gonna be available on a non-pc platform.
Are you sure itís not possible?

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

If the source code wasnít lost would it be under ď.gamĒ?
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood
Moderator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

I don't know enough about The Games Factory or Klik & Play to know if the .gam file included with SRB1's download *is* the "source code", but I've heard from some people that the file might be it.

Now, the reality is that if you want to port SRB1 to a console of any sort, you're most likely going to have to do it yourself. There is no official interest in making a console port of Sonic Robo Blast, as the game is old and rather buggy (and bad). Plus the fact we're still working on its sequel as we speak. =P

(Plus, you can't just port to "the console", the many video game consoles that exist no doubt vary quite drastically from each other. And certainly you can't port a game to one console the same way as another, etc. Many consoles by now are also rather dated and no longer relevant except to the small audiences who still have them.)
__________________
My page stuffed full of MIDI goodness!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Robo-Hoodiverse
Timeline of Sonic Robo Blast History!

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:52 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
the1999kid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
I don't know enough about The Games Factory or Klik & Play to know if the .gam file included with SRB1's download *is* the "source code", but I've heard from some people that the file might be it.

Now, the reality is that if you want to port SRB1 to a console of any sort, you're most likely going to have to do it yourself. There is no official interest in making a console port of Sonic Robo Blast, as the game is old and rather buggy (and bad). Plus the fact we're still working on its sequel as we speak. =P

(Plus, you can't just port to "the console", the many video game consoles that exist no doubt vary quite drastically from each other. And certainly you can't port a game to one console the same way as another, etc. Many consoles by now are also rather dated and no longer relevant except to the small audiences who still have them.)
Ok Iíll find a way to port it myself

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

But if anyone is interested in porting the game to the console,(even if thereís no official interest) go right on ahead.
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
 
SSNTails's Avatar
Default

Source is lost? Are you guys sure? Johnny probably still has it.
__________________
Roly Poly Putt & TraceRace - for Android, iOS, & PC - http://www.spaddlewit.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SSNTails
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood
Moderator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

I recently confirmed for myself that srb13f.gam is the kind of "source" for the game, with all the individual scenes of the game and events in them... so no it is not lost. You just need to download the old version of The Games Factory in order to check it out for yourself: https://www.clickteam.com/download-c...tired-products (you have to use the unregistered version if you want to use it free, but you can't save with it and I think it has a trial period)

I suspect people thought the source was lost because they didn't know what that .gam file did, probably.
__________________
My page stuffed full of MIDI goodness!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Robo-Hoodiverse
Timeline of Sonic Robo Blast History!

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:51 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
 
SSNTails's Avatar
Default

Their unlisted product, Click N' Create, will also open GAM files.
__________________
Roly Poly Putt & TraceRace - for Android, iOS, & PC - http://www.spaddlewit.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SSNTails
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic
 
Xkower8181's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
Their unlisted product, Click N' Create, will also open GAM files.

I've googled that and found this SRB1 Remake footage





Pretty neat, huh.
__________________
Spoiler:
hi you just wasted some second of your live on this
enjoy
Xkower8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
the1999kid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
I recently confirmed for myself that srb13f.gam is the kind of "source" for the game, with all the individual scenes of the game and events in them... so no it is not lost. You just need to download the old version of The Games Factory in order to check it out for yourself: https://www.clickteam.com/download-c...tired-products (you have to use the unregistered version if you want to use it free, but you can't save with it and I think it has a trial period)

I suspect people thought the source was lost because they didn't know what that .gam file did, probably.
Iím glad you confirmed with yourself that the source code is srb13f.gam and that it isnít lost.
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.