SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 10-13-2018   #6081
choalover
Just a random person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
We have controls specifically for custom Lua actions, being Custom 1/2/3. However, these controls occasionally overlap between mods (Example: TauntVoices uses Custom 2 for taunting with most characters, but a few taunt with Toss Flag instead as Custom 2 is already in use by those characters), and some mods may be well-suited for some Custom control layouts while others may be well-suited for other layouts.

What sort of chance and possibility is there of allowing custom Lua scripts to add their own controls that can be re-mapped at will and can overlap with any other controls (since overlaps might be wanted in some cases), which SRB2 will then also save and remember between game sessions (even if the WAD isn't loaded for several game sessions in a row)?

For example, perhaps something like AddControl("LIGHTDASH","Ring Lightdash","E",nil) would add a variable to all players called BT_LUA_LIGHTDASH, which returns if the button is pressed or not, with the control being added in the options menu under the displayed name "Ring Lightdash", with the default control being set to E if a "lua_lightdash" setcontrol is not found in a configuration file for the WAD file.

The above AddControl's parameters are in order the internal name (uppercase with "BT_LUA_" added in front for the variable name, lowercase with "lua_" in front for setcontrol), display name (used in the options menu controls list), and default key 1 and 2 (for the first time that the WAD is loaded).
The second split-screen player's controls for it would always be blank (because making mod makers supply default keys for player 2 may cause even more conflicts with players' existing control layouts than just for player 1).

Mod developers would have to take care to avoid the same internal name being used by multiple mods, but that may in many cases be as simple as adding a character/mod name in front of the internal (and display) name.

Implementation-wise... I really don't know, but probably something involving looking for the AddControl function thing in Lua scripts when loaded, taking them into account if they exist, and of course getting rid of them for the "handling" of what the Lua script should do and such in-game.

I understand that this may be really hard, but I personally think that it's worth at least thinking about for a bit.
That would be a cool idea, but the menu code would need a rewrite I think.
Old 10-14-2018   #6082
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Isn't someone working on a menu code rewrite...?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018   #6083
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Isn't someone working on a menu code rewrite...?
Not that I'm aware of... if we're talking recently, anyway.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018   #6084
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

a track for silence or a "null" music choice that doesn't spam the console.

Edit: to be more clear, this would be for the change music linedef action.

Last edited by glaber; 10-24-2018 at 08:56 PM.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018   #6085
NAR the Fox
im new to custom user title

Here's a neat idea that I think should be in SRB2: One-way FOFs. By one-way FOFs, I mean FOFs that can only be passed through one side (similar to "Intangible from top/bottom," but for a side.) Maybe also supply a Thing for the direction (in case of certain terrain forms, like triangles, ellipses, or octagons) and have it taggable. Also, would you be able to make Things taggable, sort of like the Slope Vertexes?
Old 11-04-2018   #6086
Seaball
knuckles too buffy

This isn't exactly a suggestion, but is there any chance that SRB2 could be ported to a different engine in a distant future?
Old 11-04-2018   #6087
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaball View Post
This isn't exactly a suggestion, but is there any chance that SRB2 could be ported to a different engine in a distant future?
No, there is no urgent need to. It would mean a lot of work completely remaking the game, as well as all of its documentation etc.

Personally, I also don't really want to suddenly have to learn how a new engine works when I've spent years trying to understand how SRB2's works. x_x

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #6088
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

If it was worth it, it would have been done already -- god knows we've modified ZDoom beyond recognition at this point.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #6089
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

so far beyond recognition you forget it was Doom Legacy.
Old 11-05-2018   #6090
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

^^^ Case in point

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #6091
Flare957
a.k.a. HyperFlare957

I'm just curious, since the soundtrack is getting reworked, what will be affected? Will everything get changed or only the level themes? I was also wondering if at some point, an original credits theme akin to the classic medleys in Sonic 1 - 3 & Knuckles would be made.

On a completely separate note, would there be any changes to custom character creation options, such as adding an option to specify a unique Super Name or perhaps new preset abilities?
Flare957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018   #6092
FlysterTheFox
Gnats!

Hi guys, it's good to see you guys! :D
I love playing srb2, it's one of my favorite games.

Last edited by FlysterTheFox; 11-09-2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: I know how to release wads...?
FlysterTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote