[Open Assets] Great Divide Zone (v1.10)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There my FPS lies between 5 and 15
Mine lies between 15 and 20, then climbs up to 30-35, then drops down to 15-20 again, every third second. Thus my computer is officially better at SRB2 than yours. Joke, seriously, turn the flame bursts to 1, and remove a LOT of the flame snailers, that will help a lot on the lag, I think.

Version 1.4 update changelog:

*A flashing icon of four cardinal-direction arrows appears when first grabbing onto Tails, indicating that the player can use the directional buttons to control him.
*The toxic water in the opening area is now green instead of light blue, making its status as a hazard more obvious.

You should supply a 10 ring monitor at the start so that the player has more time to figure out what's going if he accidentally gets dropped into the water. The real problem isn't even that it's dangerous but that it's near-instant death at the start.

Version 1.4 update changelog:
I LOVE LAG, LET'S KEEP IT INSTEAD OF CHANGING THE FLAME BURSTS FROM FIVE TO ONE WHICH WOULD GREATLY REDUCE LAG, THUS MAKING THE LEVEL PLAYABLE!
Seriously? (I do expect getting an infraction for this post, but it was worth it.)

why would you get an infraction for that
Because 742mph didn't type the below thing, I did.

I LOVE LAG, LET'S KEEP IT INSTEAD OF CHANGING THE FLAME BURSTS FROM FIVE TO ONE WHICH WOULD GREATLY REDUCE LAG, THUS MAKING THE LEVEL PLAYABLE!

Which I do believe does break one rule or another here on the message board.

Because 742mph didn't type the below thing, I did.

Which I do believe does break one rule or another here on the message board.

1. Part of the point of the flame bursts is that they're bursts, not single projectiles. Having the Snailers shoot only a single flame would make them both less interesting and less of a challenge strategically.

2. I have actually reduced the flame burst size in the past, but people didn't report any reduction in lag, so I changed it back.

3. Changing them to one flame now would do even less than it did before, seeing as the Snailers don't even fire if you're more than 2048 fracunits from them. Compare those 5-10 objects in range of you releasing five other objects each every 3 seconds to something like Jasper's Spark Burst, which doesn't seem to cause any lag yet releases dozens of objects every time you use it.

EDIT: Tell you what. Go into Great Divide's MAINCFG and disable A_SpawnObjectRelative in states S_FLAMESNAILER_FIRE3 - 6, thus shortening the bursts from five flames to one. If it makes a significant difference for you, I may just include it in my next update. If not, well, I can't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited:
The player needs more time to react at the start. Plunging into acid for walking forward is a cheap shot. I'd suggest completely redoing the opening section, as it's rather confusing.

Tails, Knuckles, and Jasper all feel really useless compared to Sonic. You should also reduce the amount of four-way shot turrets, especially in the ice switch room. Also, please make the ice snailers not instakill you.

Last edited:
EDIT: Tell you what. Go into Great Divide's MAINCFG and disable A_SpawnObjectRelative in states S_FLAMESNAILER_FIRE3 - 6, thus shortening the bursts from five flames to one. If it makes a significant difference for you, I may just include it in my next update. If not, well, I can't say I didn't warn you.
Will do so. *Downloads the update* Oh, and also, the furthest I have gotten in this was up to the point with Tails. Let's just say I thought Jump would actually ascend, and I only had 1 life left...

Also, I knew it, I got an infraction for that post I made a while ago. Still worth it. Oh, well, off to test what difference there would be between 5 and 1 flame bursts per flame snailer.

Edit: The result: Never reached it. I'll be honest, I fell down a lot of times before reaching that area, and I don't want to cheat on a level I haven't beat, so I quit.

Last edited:
Got through playing this level with a few others just now, and here's what I can say about it:

As for the design itself, for the love of God, why the turrets? They're spammed everyfuckingwhere in that one room and exist to annoy the living shit out of you. And depending on what character you are, you can skip them entirely(along with the majority of the level). Keeping some turrets seems fine but at least reduce their numbers. Overall, a lot of the gimmicks used in the level were pretty unique, and I would've enjoyed them a bit more had I not been using Tails to skip the entire level.

Moving onto characters. To be very honest, I don't like the changes you made at all. The Knuckles nerf is clever but makes Knuckles entirely useless in this level since the level's design isn't modeled to reflect his change. He's pretty much reduced to a character who has a short jump and nothing more. Maybe his nerf would be useful in a Super Mario 3D World mod? I don't know, but I sure didn't find it fun. Sonic's homing thok wasn't exactly the greatest thing either. The actionspd is set really awkwardly which at some points makes you stop trusting your thok as a whole because odds are it won't get you across much of a gap. I don't like to trust my homing attack much either because odds are if I use it on or near a spring it'll fling me very far in a direction I didn't want it to. As for Tails, why on earth was his spindash removed? It breaks the pace of the level by a hell of a lot since you have to start flying from hardly any speed. I did notice his new projectile attack but I found it completely fucking useless since it's faster to either hop on top of the enemies or skip them entirely. One more thing, if you removed Tails' spindash and modified his spin ability in the first place, then why didn't you switch the god awful vanilla flying to something like holdfly with CA2_MULTIABILITY and just reduce his fly tics? Spamming the space bar made my thumb hurt.

I also noticed that you included Jasper in this level, woo go fanchars. I like the character itself, but dear God he's been suffering from the same ability nerfitis that the other characters in this level have. Cool a spark burst! Ups the range that the player can hit enemies at... at the expense of all of his momentum. I don't understand this at all, why give him a combat ability? SRB2 is a platformer. His ability should assist in how he can maneuver around the level, not some sort of mid air nuke that brings you to a screeching halt upon use. It pretty much forces him to complete all platforming in the level without assistance from an ability, basically making the player realize that if they hit jump in mid air, they WILL die. Please, at least create an ability that improves the movement of Jasper instead of giving him a pointless combat ability that only speeds up the process of killing enemies. I can not find this ability to be good for the life of me and it just stopped me from playing as Jasper entirely.

Again, I liked your gimmicks, but those character abilities are god awful. My experience with this map overall was anything but enjoyable.

Well... I wanna play as Jasper but out of this level-wad, any help please? I liked Jasper since 2.0, and i wanna play as him again, but out of this level wad.

Well... I wanna play as Jasper but out of this level-wad, any help please? I liked Jasper since 2.0, and i wanna play as him again, but out of this level wad.

If you want the version from Great Divide, you'll need to extract Jasper's life icon, character select icon, S_SKIN, sprites, MT_SPARKBURST object/states, and A_SparkBurstThrust Lua function out of the WAD and into a blank one. That won't be very easy unless you know at least some basic stuff about Lua and SOC, though, so it might be better just to wait until Jasper the Fox ports it himself in that case.

If you want the version from Great Divide, you'll need to extract Jasper's life icon, character select icon, S_SKIN, sprites, MT_SPARKBURST object/states, and A_SparkBurstThrust Lua function out of the WAD and into a blank one. That won't be very easy unless you know at least some basic stuff about Lua and SOC, though, so it might be better just to wait until Jasper the Fox ports it himself in that case.

It is preferable to wait for the port to 2.1 and save the trouble, rather than take the work of removing all sprites, things of the LUA, the sprite of the Extralife monitor, and other stuff. Better wait for the port of version 2.1

yao-ming-face-meme.jpg

i personally dont like jaspers sprites as a character.

Off-Topic:dat face tho

yao-ming-face-meme.jpg

Well, the Jasper's sprites aren't too... standing for the today's chars. But i liked it because it's "gameplaying" in the 2.0, so, i would like him to be ported to 2.1

Off-Topic: A sexy face. The most sexy face on the entire world. (I don't wanna take the work of porting myself Jasper, and less, if i have to extract his sprites from a WAD. Rather than do that, i directly go to the archived addons, download the Jasper char, and port it myself. But... I'd rather wait for him to be ported by someone else. I suck in the LUA, and SOC'ing things. I barely could port the ShadowRE wad to 2.1)

Last edited:
Jasper's coming back for 2.1 soon enough. If you poked around in the General Projects Screeny thread you would've seen his new ability in action. Don't worry yourselves, the Spark Burst is still in there, just as a secondary ability.

His ability should assist in how he can maneuver around the level, not some sort of mid air nuke that brings you to a screeching halt upon use. It pretty much forces him to complete all platforming in the level without assistance from an ability, basically making the player realize that if they hit jump in mid air, they WILL die.

His ability made a lot more sense when he used to have a faster spindash. He would jump massive distances and then use the Spark Burst to land on platforms easier. In Great Divide, the faster spindash was given to Sonic instead... for some reason.

Last edited:
His ability made a lot more sense when he used to have a faster spindash. He would jump massive distances and then use the Spark Burst to land on platforms easier. In Great Divide, the faster spindash was given to Sonic instead... for some reason.

Jasper will have his faster spindash back in version 1.7.

Version 1.7 has been released! This will probably be the last update for a while, unless some glaring issue comes up and demands to be fixed.

The state of the characters last I played was rather confusing, in that vein. Jasper was defined as a character with fast accel, quick-charing spindash and a homing attack, and that's basically why I wanted to see him in this stage when it was being made; spindash is really useful here, and having a character with worse aerial mobility and overall speed but a better spindash was a nice choice for a second character. The spark burst just sort of happened as the result of frustrations with giving him a stomp ability in place of the homing attack, since that was more Sonic's thing and contrast was needed.

Seeing Sonic morph into Jasper classic is rather odd, considering. Can't say I expected spark burst to be adopted for the standalone character, either... wouldn't that be confusing in match? Then again, maybe I'm just biased against anything that would cause custom buttons to be added to him since my key layout is too full to add any in comfortable positions. :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back