Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks too flat, the Ring placement is weird and in too large of groups, there doesn't appear to be alternate paths, there's no detail, and it needs texture variation.

Since I got my Single Player entry in, (It was confirmed when FuriousFox said "Gothic Gardens Zone?" in the IRC) I might as well work on Multiplayer maps this month:

Match: Crystal Angel Zone (A fight in an icy underground cavern)
Circuit: Mystic Lake Zone (A race through a very aquatic forest)
Capture The Flag: Skyline Zone (Capture The Flag action between very tall skyscrpers)

So that's the challenge. Can I finish making any of these maps and send them in? I happen to think I can, although I have suspicions that I definetely can't.

P.S. If you're wondering why I sent GGZ1 in this early, those puppies are to blame.

Refurbished Gadgetry is making some slow progress, because, well, I've been having a lot of fun playing the Perfect Cherry Blossom demo. Right now I need to focus on secrets, as the level currently has zero.

I'm very grateful for the extra month. I wouldn't have been able to make this stage without it.

If you start your wad in January and only submit it to the November/December contest, you've had an extra YEAR. That argument doesn't really make any sense.

I just sent out emails to the people who have already made submissions for the contest. The emails is basically just to let you know I've received your maps, and to give you a small review on what I think of the map (in case you want to make more changes before the deadline). If you submitted a map and didn't get an email from me, you may want to try submitting your map again.

My level may not be ready for this contest, and I don't want to rush it. I have gone through and tried to improve the performance by adding a few culling planes and walls. I still get a few framerate drops in some areas but either I can't pin these down on anything in particular or I can't do anything until I'm ready to tweak the item placement.

I hope to be ready for playtesting by the end of the month though, if I can't be prepared to send it in. Aside from the usual, I'll probably need to know what the performance is like before releasing it.

It looks like I won't be submitting any MP maps this contest.. as I want to focus on this level even if it won't be released until the next contest.

I just sent out emails to the people who have already made submissions for the contest. The emails is basically just to let you know I've received your maps, and to give you a small review on what I think of the map (in case you want to make more changes before the deadline). If you submitted a map and didn't get an email from me, you may want to try submitting your map again.
I, for one, am extremely grateful for this. Your suggestions allowed me to really overhaul my level and make it MUCH better. If you hadn't sent me that review, my level wouldn't have been anywhere near as good. At BEST, it would have recieved ones and twos in judging. At WORST, it would have been summarily disqualified. But, as it is, I was informed of massive framerate lag and other problems, and fixed them. 8D

This is a very good idea. Most people don't get many proper reviews before submitting their levels, so their levels are harshly criticized.

Saddly, I doubt I'll get Death Egg Zone Act 1 done in time for the Contest.

Magma Core Zone Act 2, on the other hand...

srb20087.png

srb20089.png

Twilight City Act 1 is currently under hiatus at the moment due to me being low on ideas and inspiration at the moment and as such, probably will not make it into the contest unfortunately.

im going to submit Secluded Sky when its done.

Then, stop releasing Secluded Sky on Editing section and make sure you are submitting a new level design using same level elements you are using in Secluded Sky so far.

Released levels are rejected for OLDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back