We were all newbies once

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
No, this isn't a rant or anything, I was just thinking lately about how almost all of us have had some sort of bad judgement in the past within the community, and I thought it would be neat to have a topic where we shared those experiences. Basically, just post about stuff you did when you were new that you can laugh about now.

As for me, I'll admit that I'm not that different from most people: I didn't RTFM (Read The **** Manual, for those of you who haven't seen the acronym before). As a consequence, I ended up spending about half an hour in a netgame by myself, waiting for people to join. The problem was that I didn't have port 5029 open; even if I did, the Master Server didn't exist yet, so people wouldn't have been able to find the netgame even if I DID have my ports open. There was also the fact that I was trying to start these netgames over a forum (not these forums, mind you, but the GameFAQs Sonic Games Social Board), which simply does not work well at all. I eventually gave up trying to get into netgames through that forum, and found my way to #srb2netgame.

Another stupid thing I did was test what set off an IRC script that was designed to kick people whenever someone used the trout slap command. Mystic had one installed, and I was curious as to exactly what phrase made the script decide to kick a person. So, I decided to do "/me watches as an old man runs around a bit with a large trout." and that got the script to kick me. However, there was a problem: The script was designed to automatically unban anyone it kicks 30 minutes after they were kicked, but Mystic got disconnected before that 30 minutes was up for me. Because of this, the script never unbanned me, and I was too afraid to ask Mystic to unban me because of the rule against begging to be unbanned and because everyone always talked about how he was so strict and usually wouldn't accept any excuses. I was afraid he'd yell at me if I asked to be unbanned, I was very fragile back then. Since I was too afraid to ask to be unbanned, I just idled in #srb2 for a while hoping that he'd see me and wonder why I wasn't in #srb2netgame, despite the fact that I had only been in the community for about 2-3 weeks and wasn't much of a talker; I wasn't really the kind of person you would remember at that point. I eventually got back into the channel after the banlist was cleared.

So, what stories do you guys have?

Well...

For me, I am one of those people that will read the manuals for games and message board rules before I post something so I won't look like an idiot. (I am also shy at talking).

My one and only incident here was on a certain day in September of 2006 in #srb2fun. There was an Xbox sized netsplit that made the channel not have any ops for about 3 minutes. During this time, four people (Including me) started fooling around in it thinking that we should be allowed to fool around once in a while since this is pretty rare. However, I decided to post the log of this netsplit on the forums here at this thread: http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=4750

As you can see from it, I made a bad mistake and It made me get banned from the channel for a week. (It felt like a long time) Some people flamed me for it while others like Neo_Chaotikal found that thread full of failing. I have since then vowed not to even think of doing something like that in the future and as we are humans, we all make mistakes and this mistake has helped me out a lot.

Sonict

I'm pretty much the same as I was when I joined, although I probably act slightly more mature than I did before. Thanks Tets for notifying me that I shoot myself too often.

Sonict said:
Some people flamed me for it while others like Neo_Chaotikal found that thread full of failing.
You see, the thing is, when you commit a crime, you don't go around telling everyone you did it, that's just stupid. =P

Yeah I tried talking about SRB2 in the GameFAQs sonic social board. Not a good idea if you ask me. But that was later and I asked about wads......... I never went back to that social board as I was too emberassed (I don't think I spelt that right) to go.

Anyways my story is that I was on youtube one day looking for some movies or something to watch. Then theres this SRB2 movie that came up and at the bottom of the description was a link to the main site. I went there and downloaded the game since I thought it would be a great game to play on the computer (and it is by the way.) So after playing SRB2 for a few minutes I went back to the main site and joined these message boards. My first post where mistakes I will not repeat again as it did ruin my reputation to the others on the board. But I just kept going on with the community getting used to things around here.

I don't have any logs from back then (I was new to mIRC and didn't have logs turned on) so I can't remember much...

But my first netgame was one with ST218 and Spazzo in, as well as a number of others, we were playing Match or CTF on Spazzo's Battleships map...
Ahh, the wierd old days...

Would you believe me if I said that this was my first post? =3

Honestly, I was a "n00b" much earlier than when I discovered this, back in the early days of the internet. If I recall, I got banned from a Pokemon message board for blatant flaming and evading the curse filter =P

I first came here for a very brief time during 4.35 as SuperHyperSpazzo_Sonic (Get the namesake?). I didn't know the first thing to online gaming then. I literally had an on-hand scrap of foolscap with the IP adresses of the usual hosts, to join netgames by. Unfortunatly, I never got to play a single netgame, due to the friggin' consis kicks. There was one exception however, I was able to, for 4 seconds, play in a netgame, on the map you guys would know as that CTF maze map Digiku made, CTF mazeathon or something. The game did little to nothing for me then, so I eventually gave up and left.

Let's head over to when I re-joined at 1.08.

In FF's words, I too never RTFM, nor did I have any intention of forwarding ports. I got banned from #srb2fun for the first time on an account of stupidity, and believe it or not, I begged each and every admin to unban me. A week later, I got unbanned.

I wish my mistakes ended there. I'm sure you all are familiar with the "Chaos_The_Hedgehog" incident, where the dude never stopped verbally harassing me wherever I went, which resulted in a tempban for both me and him. Fortunatly, the dispute has since then ended, and we are on very good terms to this day. I even chat with him on occasion.

Next one was the worst one. You guys remember that ****hole of a mess the Ritz incident caused? That costed him his pride and dignity (thus he left the community), and I lost my ops and some good friends. The damn incident was on the verge of splitting the community into two parts, at one time. It was a bloody mess, and really a pointless one in retrospect. We both overreacted a tad to the incident, which led to a total mess. Fortunatly, since then, things have died down considerably, and I believe that we are on good speaking terms.

The final screwup was the TimberWaffle incident. I'd rather not go into full detail with this one, but I know I was nitpicking at him directly. The SV forums are very loose-ended like that, as 99% of the community there was doing the same, if not more, than what I did. After catching my breath, I stepped out of the fray and let the rest of the community settle it.

#4: My attempt at leaving (ala Bigboi)....wait? what was that? I....er...let's skip this one, kay?k. :roll:

These three (NOT FOUR) incidents proved to me that I really needed to pace myself in stupid situations, which I failed at during all three. I have learned from them, however, so I won't be making the same mistakes anytime soon. Hopefully.

EDIT: Following suit with my first post: Aurgh

I remember back before I found the SRB2 community, I went emo ALOT. I compare my past self to Redzonic alot now.

Of course, as you all may or may not remember, I went emo awhile back when no one would comment on any of my creations. Now looking back on myself, I lol.

I never did crazy n00b stuff like disobey rules or anything but I was a newbie too like everyone else. What's funny was that at the time I joined this forum, I was a newbie at typing and wording. I strung entire paragraphs into a single sentence and never left spaces behind my periods. =P Other than that, I didn't get in trouble nor was I really payed any attention to cause I was mostly quiet. I guess I was a lot like FuriousFox.

Joshthehedgehog said:
Yeah I tried talking about SRB2 in the GameFAQs sonic social board. Not a good idea if you ask me. But that was later and I asked about wads......... I never went back to that social board as I was too emberassed (I don't think I spelt that right) to go.

Anyways my story is that I was on youtube one day looking for some movies or something to watch. Then theres this SRB2 movie that came up and at the bottom of the description was a link to the main site. I went there and downloaded the game since I thought it would be a great game to play on the computer (and it is by the way.) So after playing SRB2 for a few minutes I went back to the main site and joined these message boards. My first post where mistakes I will not repeat again as it did ruin my reputation to the others on the board. But I just kept going on with the community getting used to things around here.

I was on youtube looking under the search for "super sonic" and I found one similar if not the same video with that link in August 2006. I soon saw a link to the forums a few months later. I visited the forums as a guest for a week getting wads. I didn't know how to use them so I contacted the member "Hotdog003". He sent me an email telling me howthank goodness. Soon after that week I joined the forums. My embarassing moment was a request for someone to make me a character. When people told me I was going to be banned for requesting someone to do my work for me I never did that again. I still can'r do wadding but I like to let people know about how I feel about their wads, mods, socs, and other posts. I am doing some stuff about the endangered species, my first was the baiji extinction, I still haven't done any others yet but I might. I feel glad I'm not the only one who likes the wildlife. That's my long story.

It's really true -- we were all newbies once.
When I first got on IRC, I was so n00bish that you couldn't even talk with me -- Bigboi and others (rightfully) flamed me a bit, and sincerely that helped me shape for the better, and I think I should thank you for that.

I should thank the USTCG (Unofficial Sonic Trading Card Game). When I was about 10, I just tried to type correctly there. Fresh off the Runescape boards, I was almost plunging into the pit of no return. I eventually started typing faster, and I hopped from board to board until I arrived here.

And at the SSMB.
And LoC.
And TTF.
And QXZTC.
And *shot for too many acronyms*

Now I'm 13, almost 14, and I bear no scars of burns from my long journey. That's really only because I did nothing to invoke anyone's wrath.

Except for the time someone told me I sucked for no reason, didn't tell me what it was I sucked at, and gave me no hints on how to get rid of the suckyness. I have NO idea what brought that on.

Uh, I said moo on net games a LOT. A lot of peeps didn't like it, and freaked out when ever I came onto a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back