• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Wadding Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the maps I have received will be posted later in this post. I'm sorry if one of your maps is not there. If you send it to me, I might still be able to judge it.

Rate the levels like official levels. This means that you must say what rating out of 10 (Do not be childish and give a level a number over ten or a negative number) the map receives, and reasons why this map is good or is not so good (Also, do not say something like "this map rules because the mapmaker is the best one on the planet." You must say something worthwhile to read, such as "This map had a wide variety of scenery, and was not too big, but just large enough to be fun with different amounts of people"). Also, do not flame any people. Thank you for your cooperation.

The link to the maps is the following:

http://www.srb2.org/download/greencontest.zip

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE WAD FROM THE SERVER. Use the link provided in the post above mine, I'm about to restart the server now.

Edit: Game started. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD FROM THE LINK ABOVE AND NOT FROM THE SERVER!!!

Just save yourself time and download with the link provided. It works. Trust me, I downloaded it.

MAP04 needs to be run through a nodesbuilder. Desperately. In fact, I think MAP05 does too, but at least MAP05 doesn't have invisible walls in OpenGL, it has invisible floors.

well, my overal scores are...

Map1:8.7
Map2:3.6
Map3:9.9
Map4:7.4
Map5:6.2
Map6:9.7

My Choice: 1st-Tails Base*Map3
2nd-Triad Trials*Map6
3rd-Hidden Palase*Map1
4th-House of Chaos*Map4
5th-Subterranean Sickness*Map5
Last-Splash Fight*Map2-Why: It had no effort.

Those are my thoughts! Thank you! :)

um, okay.

Tails Base because it had the best effort and work put into it as not an expert wadder (i think).

Triad Trials was equally as good, and had many different areas and secrets, but the starts made every thing confusing.

Hidden Palase was pure and simple, had a good theme too, place of SP-rings was a +

House of Chaos was good, had lots of creativity, but it was a little plain on the idea...

Subteranian Sickness lacked alot of important things, it contained all of the Sp-ring types... thats not good, pure chaos!! it had a small celing, not good for tails flying, alot of pits, bad for sonic, floors too close to the celings... it wasnt great....

those are my results.

Just got back from the netgame, here's my reviews of the levels:

MAP01 - Hidden Palace Zone
This level was pretty good compared to the others, but the walkways that connect the 4 outer islands are kind of thin, making it easy for players to fall off. The combination of special rings was good, but I would have liked to have seen more places to hide behind, as Rail-Explosion is a rather powerful combo in flat areas. I give this map a 6/10.

MAP02 - Splash Fight Zone
I found this level to be too bland, there was no change in the landscape, it was all flat. There were WAY too many rail rings in the level, and there was at least 1 of every other special ring in the level as well, which gets a little overpowered when someone manages to get all of them. There really wasn't a whole lot to do in this level. I also noticed that the level was missing Deathmatch Player Starts, so everyone always spawned in the same spot every time. It was a little fun to be floating in the air shooting at each other though, so it earns a few points for that. I give this level a 3/10.

MAP03 - Tails Base
The first thing I noticed about this map is that there were no single rings, as well as no weapon rings. There were a few silver ring boxes as well as a ton of shields, but being that all of these are inside of the base part of the level, there was no reason to go look at the rest of the level, which looked quite well I might add. This level could actually be pretty good if there were more rings, but for what I've seen I'm going to have to give it a 5/10.

MAP04 - House of Chaos Zone
There were many missing textures, but I'm not really sure if that's what they were trying to do or not, considering this is supposed to be a House of Chaos. Again, having all of the special rings in one level can be really overpowering when one person manages to get all of them. This level also has no Deathmatch Player Spawns. I personally found the level to be a bit fun though so I give it a 4/10

MAP05 - Subterranean Sickness Zone
This level looked very nice when it loaded, but with the good looks came a drop in framerate. All of the light blocks made the game slow down a bit. If you were to fall in the lava, you'd be dead since there's no way to get out, but if you can't manage to get away from your dropped rings to die, you'll eventually have to wait until you drown. The level was pretty fun, though. I give the level a 6/10.

MAP06 - Triad Trials Zone
This level was pretty good. A nice combination in weapon rings, as well as a good layout. The level was a bit too large, though. I found it rather hard to find my opponents. It was also a little difficult to run on the ice in the sky part of the level. I give this level a 7.5/10.

Suggestions:
MAP01 - Make the walkways a bit wider, and maybe add a few walls
MAP02 - Try to stick to 3 Weapon Rings at most, one of them being Infinity. Remove all of those Rail Rings around the edges. Add Deathmatch Player Spawns. Make a few walls, so it's not just a big open area.
MAP03 - Definitely add more rings, and add more of an incentive to go to the other parts of the level, instead of staying inside of the base.
MAP04 - Fix the missing textures (unless they were intentional). Stick with only 3 weapon rings, infinity being one of them. Remove some of the automatics, there's too many in my opinion.
MAP05 - Remove some of the light blocks, playability is more important than looks. Make it a little easier for Sonic to get around the level. Make the ground below the lava a bit higher, so that you can get back out of it.
MAP06 - Maybe make it a little smaller, so that it would be easier to find others. Also, make the ice a little bit less slippery.

Who made the levels, anyway? Triad Trials I know was ST218's; as for the other 5, I have no idea who is responsible.

I didn't play in the netgame, but maps 1 and 3 looked like they had very good layouts. Both had almost no rings, though.

Oh, Tails Base is hotdog003's, okay. Well, it needs rings. Badly.

Ya. Subterranean Sickness is mine, too. Both of these maps were rather rushed in my opinion.

Now that I have actually played these, I can actually rate these!
My maps: NaN
On my Tails Base, I do regret that I didn't put any rings there, but I meant it to be kinda a Get-Rings-And-Go-Out-There-And-Get-Em kind of level. Subterranean Sickness needed rings too. I thought that was my better creation... I guess nobody likes too much realism in a Sonic game.

Hidden Palace: 7
I've played this before! It's the one in the contest that won the 500mbs of webspace! Anywho, I think that it isn't the most accurate conversion of HPZ from S2, but it still is very fun to play. The only thing I don't like are the floating springs out of nowhere. Looks like the aliens are up to no good again... Where's my autorail?

Splash Fight: 2
Not the worst effort from a beginning wadder I've seen, but this level REALLY needs to be cleaned up a bit. You didn't even put in a colormap for the water, for a cryin' out loud!

Chaos House: 9
I like the house, but where's the chaos? Do you mean the game mode chaos? There were almost NO things except outside, but who am I to say that when you've played Tails Base?
My suggestion would be to make a "first floor", or basement.

Triad Trials: 8
The first thing I say when the map loads is "SOMEBODY FIND THE VOLUME KNOB!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! I'M GOING DEAF!!!". But, with MIDI music, you can't really fix that.
Don't play this in match. You won't get it.
I like this map. The theme is unique, the gameplay is good, but there are pointless teleporters that zap you to who-knows-where. Nice effort!

HPZ: 7
SFZ: 2
CHZ: 9
TTZ: 8

I played a netgame with my friend. i forgot to check with mIRC people if they were hosting. Im not gonna vote since mines in it, but i found 2 glitches: map02, you can thok your way out of the place. Thats bad. same as the old example JetKrazy did which he didnt fix. and in map... uh... subteranean sickness... well if you get the tvs on random and get the fire shield, after you explore the edges counterclockwise, youll get stuck. better yet, with tails, after that, fly above. try to get in the middle of the lava and the surface. youll get stuck there too.

i liked Tails base actually. also the triad trials.

MAP01 - Hidden Palace Zone
Quite a good layout. Disregard my comments about there being no rings; long story there. Anyway, as Eddie from IRC and the netgame pointed out, the bridges are rather narrow making it hard for Sonics to get around in particular. And I'm not sure I'm sold on that "spring up to the tall pedestal" concept; jumps and multiple ways around are better. Still, very nice, although it makes me think more of Wood Zone than Hidden Palace. 7/10

MAP02 - Splash Fight Zone
At a first look, this seems like a "my very first wad" kinda deal. The floating was unique. I don't really think it played that well, though. 3/10

MAP03 - Tails Base
Layout mostly looks nice, although you might have anticipated Sonic and Knuckles coming to visit and actually accommodated them a little. But no rings = no playability. As is, I give this 3/10.

MAP04 - House of Chaos Zone
I didn't see any missing textures or anything, so that must have been an OGL problem. This was good, but the inside was cramped, and the all-white (or very close) textures used made it hard to see around. Navigation needs improvement as well, with only one way in and out of the house. Good job with the overall design and concept, though. 6/10

MAP05 - Subterranean Sickness Zone
I loved this. It could use improvement: less framerate lag, little brighter, bit bigger, and definitely make the lava shallower so a fall is recoverable. However, this map is beautiful. With the intense visuals and the crusher and all, it evoked the perfect "this map is f***ing mad" feeling that makes me have a good time no matter what. Extra props for using the best music in the entire universe. 8/10

MAP06 - Triad Trials Zone
Ouch. The first thing I notice is the background music went straight from heaven to hell. Here's a little lesson in preparing audio: Mystic Cave's music at deafening volume = good. Stringy, fatiguing RPG music through crappy GM instruments at deafening volume = bad. I'm sorry to dwell on the music so much, but because I had to listen to it while playing, it did dramatically worsen my experience in the level.

That out of the way, it may have been because my ears were actively being split, but I found the map very confusing. I spent most of the five minutes warping between an area with a few grassy ledges and an underground area too dark for me to see in. Occasionally I'd see someone and try to shoot him but he would disappear into a teleporter or a waterfall. I can see a lot of effort must have gone into this (I've sorta been in the same place, making a big level I thought would be great that flopped), so if I could give a separate effort score, rest assured it would be much higher. For playability alone, 3/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back