[Open Assets] Great Divide Zone (v1.10)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have the unfinished Spark Burst set to the Spin button when the user has jumped. I feel the same about custom buttons in terms of them being confusing, so setting it to the Spin button made it a lot more accessible.

I could've used the homing attack over the Spark Burst, but I only had him use the homing attack in the first place because I was scrapped over what ability he should have. I couldn't SOC for crap starting Jasper out so making my own was out of the question, but after giving him the faster spindash I felt a lot more confident about using it. Now that he has an actual ability that is tailored to him, it would feel odd to give him the homing attack alongside it and the Spark Burst can do more of the same thing.

Last edited:
I currently have the unfinished Spark Burst set to the Spin button when the user has jumped. I feel the same about custom buttons in terms of them being confusing, so setting it to the Spin button made it a lot more accessible.

...What happens if I have the Whirlwind Shield then?

Therefore why he can't use it and the Whirlwind Shield gets replaced with something else, most likely a way to increase how much he uses his normal ability. Speaking of normal ability, it's also versatile enough that the Whirlwind Shield actually feels redundant.

Regardless, I made an editing post for Jasper so we don't have to fill up Great Divide with this stuff.

Last edited:
Jasper looks better than half the shit we get for characters

This ^

Why is it that people don't put the same effort into character wads that they put into joke wads? I mean, if you're gonna include all this effort and cool Lua scripts and such, why not make it even better and turn it into a good looking character too?

I'm not saying joke wads are lazy, I'm just wondering why that same effort doesn't go into good characters.

Because actually good characters require 200 sprites you have to create yourself, joke wads usually don't.

This ^

Why is it that people don't put the same effort into character wads that they put into joke wads? I mean, if you're gonna include all this effort and cool Lua scripts and such, why not make it even better and turn it into a good looking character too?

I'm not saying joke wads are lazy, I'm just wondering why that same effort doesn't go into good characters.

Because I can't sprite and I don't feel like making someone sprite for me, so I just use an existing SRB2 object and turn it into a playable character.

Because I can't sprite and I don't feel like making someone sprite for me, so I just use an existing SRB2 object and turn it into a playable character.

I wasn't talking specifically to you. The lack of sprites on your Gargoyle wad is made up in great Lua scripting and abilities.

Yes, spriting takes a long time, but you get a lot out of it too. You get the satisfaction of a great character that everyone will enjoy, and it looks pretty nice in-game.

Right away when Gargoyle came out, you bashed it on the basis on that it was a jokewad. I thought it was fair to assume you were talking about Gargoyle.

Right away when Gargoyle came out, you bashed it on the basis on that it was a jokewad. I thought it was fair to assume you were talking about Gargoyle.

I bashed on Gargoyle because I thought it was just another lazy wad with a Gargoyle sprite slapped onto it. I didn't realize all of the complicated hard work and Lua that went behind it. Now I am much more appreciative of the wad.

I bashed on Gargoyle because I thought it was just another lazy wad with a Gargoyle sprite slapped onto it. I didn't realize all of the complicated hard work and Lua that went behind it. Now I am much more appreciative of the wad.

You should play things first before criticizing them, in that case.

To be honest, this level is hard. You nerfed all the characters, so I had to add Eggpack to help me out. It is a really nice level but there are a few dick moments.

I gotta say, Metal Sonic is AWESOME here! The mid air ability is great. I wasn't expecting something like that. Another thing that I wasn't expecting was the HOMING MISSLE ATTACK. That. Is. TOO OP! But WHO CARES?! Also, the zone is preety cool for EVERY character!
Also, killing a boss with that techinique makes him launch to space. BTW, Are you planning to add more characters?

I gotta say, Metal Sonic is AWESOME here! The mid air ability is great. I wasn't expecting something like that. Another thing that I wasn't expecting was the HOMING MISSLE ATTACK. That. Is. TOO OP! But WHO CARES?! Also, the zone is preety cool for EVERY character!
Also, killing a boss with that techinique makes him launch to space. BTW, Are you planning to add more characters?

Yeah, the entire point of Metal Sonic in this pack is to be hilariously overpowered against enemies and bosses. I'm not considering adding any more characters as of now, though. Five is plenty for the level itself, and you can always add more if you want. Beating the fire area's upper path with Rosy is an interesting challenge.

This may be the only level in existence where Tails is the only character you should play as (when given a choice). Any character without a flight ability or normal stats will have a miserable time in here because of huge drops that require climbing back up (Jeez, how many levels have I played today with that gimmick) and ring drain water.

Knuckles climbing was nerfed to the point of suffering the same problems as a non-gliding character. Metal Sonic's combat prowess doesn't make up for the platforming he has to endure. Jasper's mid-air stop and fall switch are cool, but still don't help with ice physics. The level itself feels like it was designed to be insanely difficult and I only managed to beat it with Tails. I was avoiding him because I didn't want to have to cheat my way through, and the last character I played as until that point was Knuckles.

I can accept challenging levels, but that was trying just a little bit too hard there.

I must say, I enjoyed this wad. On my first try I managed to get to the end of the 2P version , spamming metal's ranged attack since he cannot get much done in terms of platforming due to his ability in the air (which I say do not change, it is actually pretty cool, and is quite helpful at times. [*cough*wallofflamesnailersonthelavafall*cough*])
Really though, the only thing I would like to mention is it seems to me like the first person view seems to break Tails' controls during the boss (IDK why, in fact it may just have been the FPS view made it look like Tails wouldn't move), but I need to get back there to make sure.

Last edited:
Hey here's an idea on how to make Metal Sonic EVEN MORE OP.

Make him fly for a short time by fully charging Metal's power (mid air ability) like Rosy's original peelout, but IN SPACE AIR

Oh hey look, a post on the topic of the level.

This level is great. The geometry and platforming is awesome, and the massive number of tasteful enemies (ones that don't target you, turrets that don't always fire) actually made it one of the first SRB2 levels in a long while to actually pose a challenge to me. Unlike everyone else, I liked the enemies a lot, and there are some great gimmicks in there, especially the blue snailers.

And, for the record, only one instance of lag over my way, which was experienced while entering the first zoom tube.

Also the coolest moment ever had to be pressing the button that brought up all the ice chunks for the first time. That was really well done!

Also also, that's a really solid instrument remapping of Chaos Angel 3. The choir in particular sounded really great.

Good stuff.

If I were to make a suggestion, though, it would be to...oh jeez what was I gonna suggest? Ok, there was something but it's completely left my brain. I will edit when I remember it.

Apologies for the bump. For anyone who's interested, I'm well aware that some of the zoom tubes in Great Divide are broken in the current version of SRB2. An update that fixes this problem will be released when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back