[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff like per-character waypoints will be an easy thing to add after the main path code is added - so customization like that can easily come later, no problem

For the most part, everything is going to be pretty much backwards compatible with this current version, so there's no hold up for level designers - I won't try to add any abrupt compatibility breaking things

So to answer your question, don't hold back - I'll sort through keeping everything organized :)

Waypoints are branching paths that act as guides for bots to traverse a level - as in, without running into walls, they follow and choose paths based on recordings of how a real person plays a level. For complex things like single player or race modes, bots can follow multiple combinations of these branching paths for less predictable behavior, or even path choices based on events that are currently going on (Example: If a player is near a bot, the bot can attack, then run away by taking the path that will go farthest away from a player, if the player is about to drown, it'll find the nearest path to a spring or air bubble).
Interesting concept. Would this particular option be able to be turned off, for anyone who would want the bots to just follow them, kind of like the botcoopai function from other bot-based mods?

Now that path finding is planned, why not add ghosts in time attack?

Automatically creates a bot path while time attacking, then when time attacking again, you see the ghost player (only the ones that are your character) following that path.

Of course, ghosts for time attack would be a natural extension of such a feature! :D

----

Ok, so I have a new somewhat controversial proposal for the immediate next version:

TX_START support everywhere:

This is already partially implemented in the current version, but it suffers from nasty conflicts when mixing TEXTURE1 and TX_START textures.

The proposal is: Add all textures and FLATS the new TX_START way - supporting PNG and (the old image format may or may not be supported anymore, depends on if the current untamed monster of code can handle things :/ ).

This will remove flat & texture duplicates, get rid of those messy TEXTURE1 & PNAMES errors SRB2 has always had, and it will allow for unrestricted texture detail without having to mess around with palettes. This also removes any need to break up large textures into multiple patches- texture size up to 1200x1200(!) will be supported. PNG conversion requires almost no extra effort - you should use SLADE which can batch convert any bmp/doom format texture you make as PNG, even saving transparency correctly when using cyan colors! (Of course, you can also directly import PNGs to SLADE)

A new texture data file will be included with the next release that will contain PNG versions of all the flats and textures from the default game AND from the SRB2 Asset Pack (both the new 2.0 one AND the older 1.094 one)

And since SRB2D2 can organize these textures into groups, it will be easy to a find a specific genre of texture across the massive texture update.

Controversial parts:

• Compatibility issues with old wads that use custom textures(but I heard the next version official of SRB2 would break this compatibility anyway) Any wads that don't use custom textures will still be 100% compatible

Benefits:
  • No more texture headaches
  • No flat/texture duplicates
  • Unrestricted creativity (YES, it IS possible to draw decent full color textures that fit with the game's cartoony style - the palette only restricts colors, but I assure you using a palette doesn't automatically make bad textures any better - like anything else, it depends on the artist, PLUS no more ugly down-sampled textures either!)
  • You can now use a full range transparency levels per pixel!
  • You'll be able to use any texture on a wall or a floor

Last edited:
texture size up to 1200x1200(!) will be supported.

This gave me the idea to use a PNG (1024x512) on a made skybox and have it look as if a 3D sky exists. I'm not sure how to put it but the new size limit can create that possibility.

• You can now use a full range transparency levels per pixel!
Wait you mean like how opacity works in images?

Also do you think it's also possible to set an optional 2D mode using NiGHTS Tracks? It would add (many) more dynamic views to 2D Sections/Stages.

Last edited:
This gave me the idea to use a PNG (1024x512) on a made skybox and have it look as if a 3D sky exists. I'm not sure how to put it but the new size limit can create that possibility.
Yup, I'm actually making a level right now that uses 1280x500 PNG textures to make a custom skybox :D I haven't tested what the real max image size is, but so far 1920x1080 images have loaded up just fine (don't go too crazy, I tried a 5120 x 2880 image and the game couldn't handle it :P )

Wait you mean like how opacity works in images?

I mean, the FULL range of transparency:

PNG_transparency_demonstration_1.png

For example, you could put this image as a middle texture of a wall or on an FOF and, these red, green, yellow, and blue cubes would all still be partially see though. So you can use transparency for multiple things, like leaves with smooth transparent edges, a stain glass window, transparent glass textures, etc. - There's a lot of possibility here

Also do you think it's also possible to set an optional 2D mode using NiGHTS Tracks? It would add (many) more dynamic views to 2D Sections/Stages.

Yup, it's possible (and requires some math too :P) and it's on my TODO list.

Y
I mean, the FULL range of transparency:

For example, you could put this image as a middle texture of a wall or on an FOF and, these red, green, yellow, and blue cubes would all still be partially see though. So you can use transparency for multiple things, like leaves with smooth transparent edges, a stain glass window, transparent glass textures, etc. - There's a lot of possibility here

Then that's wonderful to know.

Also do the linedef effects (Set 2D Distance/Angle) work, or am I just doing it wrong?

I have a suggestion that may help more users want to use other exes. If there was a way to recode oogaland's MS launcher to make it work for the new master system, then maybe more people can easily see which people are what exe online and can join it that way. Even though you can see it with the master server website, I think that loads of people rather have something that join right away.

do the linedef effects (Set 2D Distance/Angle) work, or am I just doing it wrong?

I think the current version can't do it - it'll be fixed in the next version though

---

So let's make a roadmap for the immediate next version:

Guidelines: SLADE and SRB2 Doom Builder 2 are the highly recommended modding tools:

SLADE (http://slade.mancubus.net/) wad editor is required for easy PNG support plus is probably just the best wad editor on the web right now.

SRB2 Doom Builder 2 (http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36457) map editor is recommended for live slope editing in the 3D editor. This is VERY useful because you can EDIT a slope/more than one slope by scrolling up and down on a selection - no more guessing how a slope will look!
Plus the new texture organization feature will make it easy to sort through the upcoming massive addition of community textures.

New features
ALL of the features listed here are intended to be released with the very next version.

• Slope - Linedef copy:
    These slope linedefs copy the slope of a specified tagged sector and copy it to the sector in the front or back of this linedef.
    For example: This is very useful if you're making sloped sectors with other FOFs inside them, it will keep a smooth slope keep going under the sector with FOFs.
  • The Complete set of Community Texture packs:

Including the new one:
    http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=716906

and even the old one!! http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=24900

These will be included with SRB2CB by default, ready to use without having to manually put it in your wad

- All flats and wall textures are interchangeable because of TX_START and will not cause conflicts when even more custom textures are added to a wad - It's recommended not to use overloaded textures (multiple textures with the same name)

• TX_START + PNG flats and textures exclusively - This will still mean compatibility with current wads - the only controversial part of this is that older wads that use custom textures won't be supported, but all the community textures will be included by default.

I'm thinking of releasing one last version that does textures the old way for anyone who wants to play current wads with custom textures with SRB2CB, but this might not be needed

• Map editing option to turn slope camera adjusting on/off per slope via linedef flag
  • Finally remove that Sonic & Tails thing from the menu, which never worked anyway :P

• Since slopes in their current form aren't fully physics based, there will be a limit on how steep of a slope you can stand on before falling off. This will be a temporary change until real slope physics that allow wall running are implemented.
  • I want to make this compile for linux! Any linux users out there? :O

Give suggestions on any more features you want in the immediate next release.

OF COURSE!

Bumpmaps for textures.

Yay.

EDIT: I don't exactly care if this is in next release, but at least have it in another.

Last edited:
  • - All flats and wall textures are interchangeable because of TX_START and will not cause conflicts when even more custom textures are added to a wad - It's recommended not to use overloaded textures (multiple textures with the same name)
  • TX_START + PNG flats and textures exclusively - This will still mean compatibility with current wads - the only controversial part of this is that older wads that use custom textures won't be supported, but all the community textures will be included by default.

I'm thinking of releasing one last version that does textures the old way for anyone who wants to play current wads with custom textures with SRB2CB, but this might not be needed
Ow. Ooooooow.

That's a pretty nasty bomb to drop there, Kalaron. What about the people who just want to use SRB2CB as a client for its improved OGL and bots? x_X

What about the people who just want to use SRB2CB as a client for its improved OGL and bots? x_X

In that case, we can release another version compatible with the old texture method

---

- random crazy picture -

Don't expect such a thing to be released! You never saw anything as crazy as real time lighting and shadows in this engine!!!

Last edited:
But I just...
okay, fine whatever. Just try and put it in, okay? It would be nice to make SRB2 look a bit more modern (as in, shadowing engines can make it look more next-gen with a style).

In that case, we can release another version compatible with the old texture method

---

random crazy picture:
o0cxea.jpg

Don't expect such a thing to be released! You never saw anything as crazy as real time lighting and shadows in this engine!!!

....If you add that in I am going to make a special version of Sunset Pass Zone JUST FOR this thing :P

texture size up to 1200x1200(!) will be supported.

Why in the world are you picking a weird size like 1200x1200 when texture widths and heights are typically powers of two?

random crazy picture:
o0cxea.jpg

I'm gonna call crap on this one. You probably loaded up that section of the map in a real 3d editor and applied a lightmap.

Why in the world are you picking a weird size like 1200x1200 when texture widths and heights are typically powers of two?
o0cxea.jpg

I'm gonna call crap on this one. You probably loaded up that section of the map in a real 3d editor and applied a lightmap.

BEFORE:
Well, it could be for real but then again, there are no enemies, rings, or even decoration items in there.

NOW:
EDIT:
Originally Posted by Iceman404
Might have? I'm pretty sure it's obvious. This is why people should read posts before criticizing them.
I should of read the post before I said something.

Last edited:
Maybe that is why he said it was a "random crazy" picture? He also said it wasn't going to be released so it might of just been a mock-up.

Maybe that is why he said it was a "random crazy" picture? He also said it wasn't going to be released so it might of just been a mock-up.

Might have? I'm pretty sure it's obvious. This is why people should read posts before criticizing them.

Why in the world are you picking a weird size like 1200x1200?

Well actually that's just a general idea of the size limit, it's not a hardcoded thing, it's probably around 2048x2048 and can be non-power of two, but that may depend on the graphics card :P

I haven't tested what the real max image size is, but so far 1920x1080 images have loaded up just fine (don't go too crazy, I tried a 5120 x 2880 image and the game couldn't handle it :P )

You probably loaded up that section of the map in a real 3d editor and applied a lightmap.

Wait, wwwwait, this the Doom engine, since when is there a converter for a Doom map to a modern 3D format? A Doom to .obj, or .3ds converter would be pretty sweet, but I've looked all over the internet and haven't even found one.

And if I did use a modern 3d editor with lightmaps - how are the darker sectors even moderately lit? - the light just goes and then stops with the rest of the area, in a very Doom-like fashion.

Of course it could be just a mock-up, and thank you for actually reading the post saying "it was just a random picture" :) But the again, could this be in game? I've never seen a modern 3D editor that can do such pixely renders and constant lighting like sector lights.

It's all in good natured fun anyway :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back