[Open Assets] mtf_Kratzeans Mappack I

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratzean

This Mappack contains a few different Maps from me. Some of this maps are Re-Remakes from 2.0.x and other maps are new.
Some of the new Maps I made for SRB2 2.0.x, but I don't have released this maps.

In the Mappack are maps for the gametypes CTF, H&S, Tag and Match.

Update 1.10:

1. Item Replacements (101 Mapping) for:
- Amys Island
- Block Chaos Fort
- Shadow Station
- Green Hill Fort

2. Removed CTF-Gametype from Amys Island

Update 1.11:
- Koopa shell from Amys Island deleted
- Weaponreplacement and Player Team Starts fixed on Shadow Station
- wrong placed Railrings on Green Hill fort fixed
- Roomfix on Block Chaos fort

Update 1.12:

- Bigs Sea
- Dark Egg
- Two House Forest
- World Wonders
- Creams Flowerfield
- Lava Fort
- Tails Castle

2. Removed Match/Tag-Gametype from Bigs Sea and Dark Egg.

3. Adding alternative routes to Lava Fort for more ctf-balance.

Update 1.2:

- Sonic Castle
- New Island
- Green Hill Cave
- Block Fort
- Big Montain

2. Removed CTF-Gametype from New Island

Attachments

• A0.png
    A0.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 641
  • A1.png
    A1.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 635
  • A2.png
    A2.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 575
  • A3.png
    A3.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 630
  • A4.png
    A4.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 639
  • A5.png
    A5.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 600
  • A6.png
    A6.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 538
  • A7.png
    A7.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 471
  • A8.png
    A8.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 551
  • A9.png
    A9.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 519
  • AA.png
    AA.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 438
  • AB.png
    AB.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 525
  • AC.png
    AC.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 486
  • AD.png
    AD.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 516
  • AE.png
    AE.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 468
  • AF.png
    AF.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 564
  • AG.png
    AG.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 494
  • AH.png
    AH.png
    160 KB · Views: 551
  • mtf_kratzeansmaps1.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 727
Last edited:
I've got to ask: Why did you port these levels? You haven't made any effort to adjust them to 2.1.x standards. Most levels don't even follow 2.0.x standards! I can understand that you have some sort of sentiment towards these levels, and you might think it's great to have a large pack of levels, but sometimes it's just time to leave old creations behind, especially if you're not going to make any effort to make them seem less dated.

What I'd advise you to do, if you're going to make new maps at some point, is to start over completely. To help you with this, I've made a list of the problems I encountered most in this pack, so you can keep them in mind in the future. Before you read the list though, I suggest you take a good look at Level Design 101, especially the chapters General Information and Match and Capture the Flag. Take a good look at the official levels as well, see what makes them work and determine what you like and dislike about them.

• The majority of the maps in this pack are too cramped, which makes it hard to have good fights in them. Especially Sonic's and Tails' Castle feature maze-like designs that make it impossible to find other players in, and New Island and Amy's Island feature some overly narrow tunnels.
  • Other levels are too large, either vertically (Big Montain) or horizontally (Lost Jungle Ruins). And if the level has a lot of horizontal variation, there should be enough ways to get from any area to any other area. Lost Jungle Ruins has only one way to enter and exit the ruins, which makes that one front entrance a massive chokepoint, something that should be avoided.
  • Unless you integrate them well into the level (and theme), teleports shouldn't be used in Match and CTF stages, because they make the layout even more complicated.
  • Block Fort, Block Chaos Fort and Pipe Palace don't play well in 2.1 because they contain 4-way symmetry, which doesn't work in CTF and especially not in Match. And while we're on the subject of those three levels, it's not advised to port levels from other games, because most levels from other games just don't work that well in SRB2. Especially Mario Kart has completely different rules and ideas about how the battles are fought and the available power-ups for them. On the other hand, CTF levels like Lava Fort are not completely symmetrical, which puts one team at a (dis)advantage compared to the other.
  • Because of the difference between non-symmetrical Match levels and symmetrical CTF levels, it's not a good idea to make one gametype's levels support the other, because they should be made to suit their own gametype. Making CTF stages support Match will make the level not sufficient enough at supporting either gametype.
  • I noticed some levels were too similar too each other, like Block Fort and Block Chaos Fort, but also New Island and Amy's Island, the latter feeling like a resize of the former.
  • In some levels I noticed that there were more weapon panels than needed: in Shadow Station I saw four Explosion Ring Panels, and there were several Match levels where I saw some weapons more than once. This really messes with the balance between the weapons.
  • Ammo should be placed carefully and with thought. Don't place too much ammo next the panel itself, like in Lava Fort with its three Automatic ammo pickups next to the panel.
  • Never place ? Monitors into levels directly. Instead, use Super Ring monitors and flag them as a Weak Random Monitor or a Strong Random Monitor. A level should generally have 2 to 4 WRMs and only one SRM. Aside from this, it's generally not advised to place powerups into levels directly if they're not flagged as Weak/Strong Random Monitors, as this can break the balance of powerups very easily.
  • Since 2.1, Match levels require an Infinity Ring to be placed somewhere in the map.
  • All these power-ups really should be evenly spread across the map to ensure that all areas have a purpose. This means that you shouldn't place all six weapon panels next to each other, like in Tails Castle. World Wonders also features one area with four of the six panels in them.
  • Some powerups are much more powerful than others, which makes it a good idea to make the stronger powerups harder to get. Perhaps by requiring the player to do some platforming, or by making it dangerous to get, or perhaps by making it more time-consuming to get. Be sure to make it worthwhile for the player though, make sure that the powerup in question is powerful enough and that the way to get it isn't too tedious. In one area in World Wonders, I followed a slow moving platform (that I almost got crushed by) all the way up into a very remote area, only to get one single Automatic Ring ammo pickup from it.

I also noticed a couple of technical issues in this pack, like missing grass edges and various other visual oddities, but I seriously suggest you leave these levels be and start fresh. There's also a saying I'd like you to keep in mind: quality over quantity. It's better to spend time making one good map instead of 18 bad maps.

I think, that I can fix the problem with the Weapons, and the Monitors and I think, that I can balance some maps (for example Lost Jungle Ruins by giving more entrances), but it needs some time, ok?

And I don't know, that a infinity-ring is needed on each map. I can fix this too.

Antoher Point: I think, a Port from another game (like Blockfort) is a Port, if I convert the mapfile from Mario Kart DS to a SRB2-map. But I made each linedef and sector and objects in the mariolike maps by my own, without an import.

Can you send me a private message with a List of the issues of each map like a list pls? So it's easier for me, to fix the maps, ok?

I checked out your level pack and alot of things are not right about this level pack and here's how:

-Green Hill Fort is using Egg Rock Zone's Sky and it seriously does NOT fit well for the damn theme of this level since Green Hill Fort is NOT TAKING PLACE IN SPACE.
-Block Chaos Fort Zone's level title is too long with the word 'ZONE' not being on the bottom. So please disable the definition 'NoZone' so the title can look much better.
-Shadow Station Zone has unfitting music since this level is a Space Lab Theme Level. So please give it different music like the Metal Sonic Battle theme (TUNES 25) or the MIDI Version of Sonic 3D Blast's Gene Gadget Zone Act 1 Music (TUNES 128) and while doing so,also fix up this level.
-Tails Castle Zone needs to have different music rather than the MIDI Version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles' Ice Cap Zone Act 1 Music (TUNES 113) since it really does NOT fit well for the theme of the level.
-Dark Egg Zone is extremely glitchey that I can almost not be able to play it. So fix that too.

All right, that's all the suggestions that I can think of. So, please go fix this level pack because it contains a lot of bugs and glitches and while you're working on this level pack more, add some Race Levels to this level pack (maybe at least 11 Race Maps in this Level Pack).

Last edited:
Perhaps its helpful to say, which of the maps don't need a fix or for which map a fix is not so necessary (for example the music, or only one wrong item), ok?

edit: IT's possible, to make some of the maps (like soniccastle) only avaiable for TAg or H&S mode? Or it's necessary, that this maps have the match mode?

edit: Are Koopa Sheels on some maps a problem?

Last edited:
YES! Koopa Shells are a problem on some maps (especially Two Mouse Forest Zone) since the koopa shells can be touched and wander off when the player goes on them.

Let's put more maps into this level pack and fixed alot more bugs and glitches and put in more fitting skies for the levels.

I think there are ENOUGH levels in this pack, barely anyone plays netgames on these and no one can download it because of it's huge file size.

More than the half of the maps are fixed in 3 updates.

If I find the time, I want to fix therst of the maps.

I was able to download this level pack. I checked it out one time and my PC handles it really well.

Hey Kratzean! I'd just found some more bugs in your level pack. Here's what they are:

-A hall of mirrors texture appears somewhere in Lava Fort Zone.
-An unknown thing type appears in Big Mountain Zone.
-The level title for Block Chaos Fort Zone is way too long and you must disable the "NoZone" definition.

I did made a screenshot of the hall of mirrors effect but I need a more easier way to insert the image onto my comment. So, please tell me how do we insert the image onto our comments?

Here's the pictures of the bugs:

Attachments

• srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 386
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 461
  • srb20007.png
    srb20007.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 408
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back