March/April/May/June 2015 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emerald Flower > Eggmanway 7 > Ghost Battle > Flicker Lights > Mother Lode Canyon

Reviews aren't coming.

Flicker Lights -> Ghost Battle -> Eggmanway7 -> Emerald Flower -> Motherlode Canyon.

Just a note on Ghost Battle, what held it back from being first is, apart from the length of it, that I really dislike One-Hit-KOs in boss battles, so it's more of a personal thing.

Regarding the rest, most has been said already.

1. Ghost Battle
2. Flicker Lights
3. Eggmanway7
4. Emerald Flower
5. Motherlode Canyon.

Most of the other posts have already said what I wanted to say, but Ghost Battle reminds me of Link's Awakening for some reason. Other than the sound effects, I can't quite put my finger on it.

My video is now up and the review points each correspond to a certain point in the video.
The video can be found on page 2

Flicker Lights Zone > eggmanway7 > Ghost Battle > Emerald Flower Zone > Mother Lode Canyon Zone

Archive Stronghold Zone > Seabound Ruin Zone > Rocky Field Zone > Grift Relic Zone

Magma Plant Zone > Dual Heavens Zone

Ghost Battle > Eggmanway 7 > Flicker Lights > Emerald Flower > Mother Lode Canyon

Flicker Lights Zone > EGGMANWAY7 > Ghost Battle > Emerald Flower Zone > Mother Lode Canyon Zone

Archive Stronghold Zone > Seabound Ruin Zone > Rocky Field Zone > Grift Relic Zone

Last edited:
Single Player

1st - Ghost Battle
This was a creative boss fight. A needlessly long one, but a fun one. It had it's challenges, while staying consistent. I actually lost once, which says something. However, this boss is rather drawn-forward and repetitive. I was hoping for an added gimmick to pop up on the second and third phases throughout the battle. It's still a very ambitious boss nonetheless, and I applaud the originality, through the sounds, to the dual-arena, and the graphics used.

2nd - Eggmanway 7
Whoa Metal Sonic is actually killing someone and there's blood everywhere. The detail was nice, but a little repetitive. I was hoping for a few extra gimmicks to go along the way, other than hopping platforms and floating platforms. As for the detons, while playing through the level, did not help that they stood in place and hurt my ears. Seeing this as a post-apocalyptic style level, I expected the white crawlas to do more than just run around, and perhaps even shoot. You captured the theme right, and I'll give it that. It was fun, even though it used platforms a little too much. (It didn't exactly feel too much like a race, jump hopping up all the time)

3rd - Mother Lode Canyon

There was gimmick to this stage, I won't mark you down for this. But in reality, gimmicks to a stage are just one part of the puzzle; you have to take care for design, how it looks, and how each part of the level ties itself together. A well-thought gimmick is no fun when it's just a floating group of platforms floating in mid-air. It just makes it look thrown in there to give you hell. I really liked the part with the platforms making use of polyobjects, spinning around posts. But in the end, it felt like playing Super Monkey Ball, with the lack of rotating arms going around it. Attention to detail is really important in a game, as it not only explains a gimmick, which you've been doing, but it also explains why a gimmick should be there, and what sets itself apart from the rest of the level. If you had worked on this a while, added decorations, variance to the walls and floors like a canyon would be, and maybe a few enemies, it really would've scored a lot more for me.

4th - Emerald Flower Zone
This map feels like an overly large Green Flower Zone 2. No, really. I admit, it's a nice attempt, but ultimately this level is way to large for it's own good and wears itself out pretty fast. I did also find a pity shield monitor near the beginning of the stage for some reason, but only after looping the entire stage and it's many paths. I could only find one red star ring opposed to the possible... eight? I pressed Tab wondering how I could collect the others. For what it's worth, it does have it's own moderate and simple platforming, which suits itself being a first-zone level. But being too spacious takes away from the detail incredibly. If you're going to make a very large level, you need a lot of detail to fill in the areas.

5th - Flickering Lights Zone
This stage has it's gimmick in the title; lights flash and it will probably help or hurt you. Unfortunately though, it falls a little short on expressing the gimmick, and has very few details in the level to express it. If you're going to take a whole level-wide gimmick theme, you will need to apply it in very many ways. Take a look at Deep Sea Zone, for example. If you gave your player more choice of option, and more open areas and ways to make use of the gimmick (Like the flashing eyes, and the maze room at the beginning) and focus more on the visual layout of the map, you would score a lot higher. Most of the map was repeated sections of platforming with some parts appearing at times, making it rather repetitive. And, being in (almost) perfect darkness, relying on the light flashing is quite aggravating due to most of the level being pit jumps. I tried it on OpenGL later, and at least you have a line of sight with it.

Match

1st - Archive Stronghold Zone
I really enjoy this map's visuals, a lot. A little too much. I like how each area has it's own design, and it's easy to understand where you are. Getting places however, takes time to getting used to. Gameplay-wise, it's difficult to navigate some areas, as they are quite cramped. It takes a couple of loops through the level before you understand what the next turn going to be. Additionally, I had a very difficult time trying to find the panels. They're in obscure locations. As much as I like the visual layout of the map, it didn't play as well as I expected. But, it was still playable at the least.

2nd - Rocky Field Zone
This level was nice and easing on the eye. It upholds a simple yet constructive design, and remains consistent with it. In addition, you give each area and room a distinct look, each weapon has it's own recognizable place on the map, and you can loop around the level looking for targets. In contrast, this level can be quite cramped in a couple of areas, and the two pits in the level are rather misleading and almost invisible, due to the grey tone nature of the level. The water section feels thrown-in, in addition to being a pit of no return for sonic players, the same issue with Sapphire Falls. It was a really fun level, though, regardless.

3rd - Seabound Ruin Zone
This level is far too vertical. There's too much platforming and too many spring segments involved for a match stage, and I jumped into the water hoping for an underwater part of the map. The theme feels a little bit repetitive, and I feel you'd get more variance and less vertigo if you have places for the player to jump up rather than rely on springs for the entire map. It still at least has it's unique locations for weapon panels, and can make fun flat-field play.

4th - Grift Relic Zone
This level is far too spacious for it's design, the path to the rail panel is broken, and there's a lot of passageways that don't play too well. It's hard to keep track of where the weapon panels are, and even more difficult to find players. I think you should add more detail, and create distinct locations, or make your map less full of empty spaces. Try testing your maps a little more, to see if aspects of the level draw on a little too much, because this map is really needlessly tall. Oh, and there's a ? monitor. I don't think it belongs in match,... does it?

CTF

1st - Magma Plant zone
I had so much fun with this level. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles can all explore this level almost freely, with no interruptions, and employ the abilities of their character to their advantage. This is something I see very rarely with a level. In addition, the theme is solid and appealing, and not overcrowded. Although some portions are cramped, there's many ways to circumvent this and move to a new area. The weapons have their own well-sighted locations, it's easy to know which base you're in, and the bases have a pinch point via a floating platform that can be outdone with a secondary path. The only funny issue is the emeralds, and some rings. The emeralds float in the air, and a group of 5 rings located in the platform room beside the flag are merged into the floor. A double-check before you enter the level doesn't always hurt. Other than that, this was a fantastic level, and I even gave it a second play as an encore.

2nd - Dual Heavens Zone
How do trees survive with so little leaves. I can get stuck as Knuckles. I picked up the flag, and hopped down into the low-area of the map, and got stuck, because some of the ledges are unfriendly to Knuckles' jump height, and my only option was to chuck the flag away. I found myself climbing up little ledges rather than hopping up them. Keep in mind, when you make a CTF or a Match stage, you need to account for Knuckles' lower jump height far more often. In Single Player, it's forgivable. In Match, CTF, and Race, it ruins the flow for the player, having to climb ledges that Sonic and Tails can jump up with (relative) ease. It's quite cluttered, and this makes it hard to see other players. It was a little difficult to play, there was way too much platforming than there needs to be, everyone was hopping or bouncing on springs. The visual layout of the level is nice, however. I think it's best that, should you test the level of the map, you should imagine how others might play it, what they will need to do, and what kind of flow the level has. Oh and, I couldn't find the auto..

Last edited:
Huh, either I forgot to press the post reply button or my post just didn't go through, I meant to post this yesterday.

Ghost Battle > Eggmanway 7 > Flicker Lights > Emerald Flower > Mother Lode Canyon

Seabound Ruin Zone > Archive Stronghold Zone > Rocky Field Zone > Grift Relic Zone

Ah, this map. This one was rushed to get into the previous contest, and I think it shows. It was made over the course of a few days, only a couple hours a day, and with only a couple testing sessions with one person. Since the contest ended up being cancelled anyway, I started updating the map, making it play better, changing some ring placements, reducing lag a bit, and making it look better. Weeell... I forgot about the map and never submitted the updated version. Whoops. I can be an idiot sometimes.
Honestly my idea for this map was pretty ambitious, which was not a good thing for such a small time limit. Something I wanted to add that ended up getting scrapped was an underwater part at the bottom of the map. It ended up making the map lag way more than it does now, so I scrapped it and replaced it with flat death water, laaame. The map didn't turn out how I wanted in the end and it ended up lagging a ton on lower-end PCs. But oh well, as long as some people get some sort of enjoyment out of it it's still worth it.

Last edited:

2nd - Dual Heavens Zone
How do trees survive with so little leaves. I can get stuck as Knuckles. I picked up the flag, and hopped down into the low-area of the map, and got stuck, because some of the ledges are unfriendly to Knuckles' jump height, and my only option was to chuck the flag away. I found myself climbing up little ledges rather than hopping up them. Keep in mind, when you make a CTF or a Match stage, you need to account for Knuckles' lower jump height far more often. In Single Player, it's forgivable. In Match, CTF, and Race, it ruins the flow for the player, having to climb ledges that Sonic and Tails can jump up with (relative) ease. It's quite cluttered, and this makes it hard to see other players. It was a little difficult to play, there was way too much platforming than there needs to be, everyone was hopping or bouncing on springs. The visual layout of the level is nice, however. I think it's best that, should you test the level of the map, you should imagine how others might play it, what they will need to do, and what kind of flow the level has. Oh and, I couldn't find the auto..

I know. I tested this map. I heard from many players this map is hard to navigate it (for me too).

At Rocky Field. I added TONS of rings because, this map is tiny. Imagine how will be this map if you are in a server with 35 players. A CLASH! That's why I added so much.

Last edited:
ANY map with 30 players becomes cramped and cluttered. But yes, you're right, adding plenty of rings prevents ring drought. But make sure you space out your rings, or it becomes too easy for a single player to not have to care about their ring count. Try adding aerial rings for Knuckles and Tails to reach to grab, in case Sonic gets too competitive on the surface.

Last edited:
Ghost Battle > Eggmanway 7 > Flicker Lights Zone > Mother Lode Canyon > Emerald Flower
Mother Lode overall felt like a stage that belongs in 1.09.4, while Emerald Flower seems like a stage from SRB2 Halloween.

Have you played SRB2 Halloween recently? that version is incapable of FOFs as far as I can tell

Last edited:
Single Player
  1. Ghost Battle by Chi.Miru
  2. EGGMANWAY7:Quest for Eggmanways 1 through 4 - REVENGE OF FINAL DEMO by Zipper and toaster
  3. Flicker Lights Zone by Kevin
  4. Emerald Flower Zone by Glaber
  5. Mother Lode Canyon Zone by Chaobrother

Match
  1. Archive Stronghold Zone by Spherallic
  2. Seabound Ruin Zone by Knux576
  3. Grift Relic Zone by Brawl
  4. Rocky Field Zone by *icefox*avp*

Capture the Flag
  1. Magma Plant by Spherallic
  2. Dual Heavens Zone by *Icefox*Avp* and Speed-Roid

At Rocky Field. I added TONS of rings because, this map is tiny. Imagine how will be this map if you are in a server with 35 players. A CLASH! That's why I added so much.

With this taken into account, I now understand why you put so much rings in there, but the point still stands. Blaze's suggestion seems to be a nice fix to that.
Also, a server with 32 players? I have yet to see that happen (you can rarely see servers with more than 15 players nowadays). But it's nice that you thought of that possibility.

I haven't had the chance to write up reviews due to visiting family and the like. But I have played the entries! So here are my votes on the single player entries.

1. Flicker Lights Zone
  2. Ghost Battle
  3. Mother Lode Canyon Zone
  4. EGGMANWAY7:Quest for Eggmanways 1 through 4 - REVENGE OF FINAL DEMO
  5. Emerald Flower Zone

If anyone wants a full review with constructive criticism etc, just say in this thread or by PM and I'll get around to writing one when I have time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back