SOPA Sucks, and so does GoDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name cheap? Never heard of them, but as long as they don't support SOPA, all the better. SOPA Supporters don't deserve customers. (Nintendo included)

http://americancensorship.org/ - This site provides a lot of details of what SOPA is and what it entails.

Essentially SOPA is a bill currently in debate in Congress that outlines a draconian censorship method as a way of "combating piracy", essentially giving copyright holders the ability to censor whatever content they want to with no oversight by calling it a copyright violation, causing that web site to be removed from the internet entirely. It's the same basic technology that countries like China use to censor the web.

Obviously, as someone who supports free speech, I consider this blasphemy and so should you. GoDaddy came out in support of SOPA recently, so a lot of people, us included, are leaving them and taking our business to other companies to make the point that SOPA is completely unacceptable.

Just because they changed their mind, doesn't mean you should still support a company that would endorse such legislation until the poop hits the fan.

I hear that they still support SOPA (after all, they helped _draft_ the bill and they're also listed as an exception) and that their latest statement was really just PR trying to end the boycott before they lose any more money.

I too have been making the move to NameCheap. Regardless of whether GoDaddy has said they no longer support it, it's an obvious PR move, they lobbied incredibly hard to ensure that they could be exempt from it (and succeeded, but only so they can use it as a competitive advantage probably), the fact that they supported it in the first place is enough to make me move.

tl;dr not supporting it means nothing, they supported it and I want nothing to do with a company that supports it at any moment in time.

NameCheap has a very friendly sales team, and the PR guy has been active in a number of SOPA-related anti-GoDaddy threads on Reddit. They have the coupon 'SOPASUCKS' up right now if anyone wants a bit off their transfer costs.

You DO realize this thread is three years old, right? GoDaddy has had that kind of ads for as long as I can remember. Sex sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back