SRB2 Demo 1 (SAGE 2000 Prototype)

Wumbo

edited
Hello, once again...

I've been thinking about the SAGE 2000 trailer of Demo 1 a little bit, wondering about the possibility of it still being on one of the developers' hard drives or something. So, you can expect what I'm going to ask:

Does anybody at all still have the SAGE 2000 prototype of Demo 1?

I mean, even though this specific version of Demo 1 was never released, I think it still deserves a place in the Historic Downloads section of the website, if it still exists, even if it lacks an installer (the Historic Downloads page needs some updating, anyways). It would be pretty cool to see the old GFZ textures and layout, and all the other stuff we didn't see in that trailer.

I don't really care as much about the Demo 2 trailer, as the only signifigant difference I spotted was the GFZ skybox in THZ. But having that would still be interesting, too.

Well, uh.. thanks for reading. A response from a developer, yes or no, would be appreciated! Also, happy early 20th birthday, SRB2!

Just slap on the old GFZROCK textures onto GFZ1 and you probably have something not far off from what you want here. (I can't remember what else is different in the video, too lazy to check)

Seriously though, I doubt it still exists. We don't even have Demo 1's source code anymore, for that matter.

(Probably all the devs these days weren't even around for Demo 1, even Mystic to my knowledge (I think). SSNTails is probably your best bet here, if anyone.)

Last edited:
I have actually recreated the Sage 2000 version of GFZ using the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz7McTYV2ik

Despite being blurry in parts, I did the best I could with what was shown, but I would like something of higher quality to check against.

SSN Tails, if you're checking the topic out, do you by any chance have this old build of the game?

I have actually recreated the Sage 2000 version of GFZ using the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz7McTYV2ik

Despite being blurry in parts, I did the best I could with what was shown, but I would like something of higher quality to check against.

SSN Tails, if you're checking the topic out, do you by any chance have this old build of the game?
Yes, I did play SRB2 The Past, and I do think it's a really good recreation, but it would be cool to see the actual original version.

...The Past includes a full recreation of the SAGE 2000 GFZ1? Isn't it just the one area in the hub with the boxes?

Yes I tried it, A pretty good recreation, you have to stand on the purple block to unlock the gate that leads to it.

I think there's a basic misunderstanding here. There's not a complete "version" for in-dev things. When we're developing stuff, generally the game is kept in smaller pieces to make it easier to work on. For instance, right now 2.2 doesn't load most 2.2 assets automatically. If we want to play, say, DSZ, we have to load the level WAD and the assets WAD to play it. The game isn't in a state where everything is put together and you can just play through the campaign.

While I wasn't on the project that early, that "version" of SRB2 is almost certainly the same. To create that footage various files were loaded and shown off, and then the videos were compiled together.

Yes I tried it, A pretty good recreation, you have to stand on the purple block to unlock the gate that leads to it.
Oh, the block with an emblem on top is a button. I never bothered with the emblems so I never found out about that. Thanks.

Oh, the block with an emblem on top is a button. I never bothered with the emblems so I never found out about that. Thanks.
I also have it so that collecting emblems unlocks the Sage 2000 door in the GFZ hub too.

GFZ in Sage 2000 is not the same as it was during the time period of Christmas .96 (the earliest released version).

I think there's a basic misunderstanding here. There's not a complete "version" for in-dev things. When we're developing stuff, generally the game is kept in smaller pieces to make it easier to work on. For instance, right now 2.2 doesn't load most 2.2 assets automatically. If we want to play, say, DSZ, we have to load the level WAD and the assets WAD to play it. The game isn't in a state where everything is put together and you can just play through the campaign.

While I wasn't on the project that early, that "version" of SRB2 is almost certainly the same. To create that footage various files were loaded and shown off, and then the videos were compiled together.

So it's possible the Sage 2000 versions of GFZ and DSZ (only other Zone shown off) might be stored similarity to the Demo 2 era development levels, but it still begs the question if SSN Tails still has the Sage 2000 level wads.

I also have to question if he's seen my recreation.

iirc in the old srb2 website, there were screenshots of DSZ in the early 2000s
this was shown off in one trailer

iirc in the old srb2 website, there were screenshots of DSZ in the early 2000s
this was shown off in one trailer

What's funny, is those DSZ sections sat untouched for like 8 years before they were harvested for v2.0.

No, I haven't seen your recreation.

Mystic is correct in that there was no 'release package' of this version, it was just the current dev copy in all its strewn-out glory. BUT...
The build in that demo video is likely nearly identical to SRB2 Xmas 0.96's codebase.
As for the level files and stuff... I might actually have those.

The thing to do would be to launch SRB2Xmas and add the appropriate files.

I'm headed out on a trip for a week but I'll try to remember this when I get back. If not, ping me.

What's funny, is those DSZ sections sat untouched for like 8 years before they were harvested for v2.0.

No, I haven't seen your recreation.

Mystic is correct in that there was no 'release package' of this version, it was just the current dev copy in all its strewn-out glory. BUT...
The build in that demo video is likely nearly identical to SRB2 Xmas 0.96's codebase.
As for the level files and stuff... I might actually have those.

The thing to do would be to launch SRB2Xmas and add the appropriate files.

I'm headed out on a trip for a week but I'll try to remember this when I get back. If not, ping me.
Well, thanks for the response! It's good to know that there's a big possibility that the SAGE 2000 WAD still exists.

I really should've thought about the release package thing before I created this thread, though...

OK, so here's the deal...

I do not have the 'pre-bridge' GFZ1 anymore. I do have a version that goes as far back as January 19, 2001, however. This is probably very close to Demo 2's final version.

The oldest-existing version of GFZ1 is the one that ships with Xmas v0.93 as a secret level.

I have a 'Wood Zone' level wad. Yes, it will play the music we discussed earlier.

I have a Hidden Palace Zone wad from July 2, 1999. This may have been seen before.

I have the 'original three' Deathmatch wads that Sonikku made back in July, 1999. One of these levels is the one that the White Gloves Diaries refers to me shooting Sonikku in the butt. :D :D :D

I have three 'multiplayer' (presumably CTF) wads that Sonikku made in January 1999. One or two of these should look familiar.

I have a very old THZ3 from December 2000. This is before Demo 2 was even available.

I have the original DSZ1 wad that was used in the SAGE video clip. It is from August 3, 2000.

I have like 18 or so Special Stages. One of them is dated back in 2000, others from August 2001.

I have a couple 'Diving Mode' wads. Not sure anybody is around to remember that.

I've got lots of old stuff strewn everywhere. It would be interesting to organize all of it, and see how restorable some of it is. I'd imagine we'd need to run lvlconv on everything and then say a few prayers 2.x will boot it up.

"you cheating lying git!"

Weren't there some parts in A Pocket Lapse where the scenery was shot using SRB2 in some form?

So it sounds like the closest we have to the Sage 2000 GFZ would be my recreation seen in SRB2 the Past then.

But what's there sounds really cool, and I have been able to successfully port the previously released batch of InDev Single Player levels, Not counting one of the Speed Highway maps, and I successfully ported backwards Castle Eggman from Demo 4 to the Halloween Tech demo. So if you need someone to convert the wad files for use on 2.1, I'm more than willing.

I don't remember diving mode, but I do remember a diving map from something. Might have been Source engine based, or might have been SRB2. I'm not sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe diving mode was jumping off a high platform whilst other players tried to shoot red rings at the falling player. There was no engine side support; these were just a special type of map with teleports to safety at the bottom of the "pool"(?) - more the domain of teenagers of the early noughties making a colloquially-agreed on ruleset which has likely been lost to time.

It's really cool to hear about all this stuff, and I hope you manage to get it sorted. ^u^

I do not have the 'pre-bridge' GFZ1 anymore. I do have a version that goes as far back as January 19, 2001, however. This is probably very close to Demo 2's final version.

The oldest-existing version of GFZ1 is the one that ships with Xmas v0.93 as a secret level.

I have a 'Wood Zone' level wad. Yes, it will play the music we discussed earlier.

I have a Hidden Palace Zone wad from July 2, 1999. This may have been seen before.

I have the 'original three' Deathmatch wads that Sonikku made back in July, 1999. One of these levels is the one that the White Gloves Diaries refers to me shooting Sonikku in the butt. :D :D :D

I have three 'multiplayer' (presumably CTF) wads that Sonikku made in January 1999. One or two of these should look familiar.

I have a very old THZ3 from December 2000. This is before Demo 2 was even available.

I have the original DSZ1 wad that was used in the SAGE video clip. It is from August 3, 2000.

I have like 18 or so Special Stages. One of them is dated back in 2000, others from August 2001.

I have a couple 'Diving Mode' wads. Not sure anybody is around to remember that.

I've got lots of old stuff strewn everywhere. It would be interesting to organize all of it, and see how restorable some of it is. I'd imagine we'd need to run lvlconv on everything and then say a few prayers 2.x will boot it up.
Well, it's too bad that we'll probably never see the SAGE 2000 GFZ1 out of the trailer that was released (at least we have Glaber's recreation). But the fact that you have so many other interesting levels is just amazing! (I kinda want to see the old DSZ1 and the Special Stages.)

If you need anybody to sort out the files, I could see if I can help. I did it with the SRB2 MIDIs, so I may be able to do it with this, too. But if you don't feel like releasing the files yet, that's fine with me.

Cool!
I'm stunned those files have survived!
(I think that those files should be uploaded on Google Drive or something, in case the harddrive does the ol' ripperoni pepperoni)

Amazing! I can't believe someone could have files from 2001 archived.

Last edited:
I'm working with glaber now to sort them all out. We'll provide updates when we have something.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back