March/April 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Single Player Level Pack

Single Player:

River Dash Zone by Whackjood
An okay level, it lacked much effort though.
4/10

Castle Goth Zone, Act 1 by Spongecar
Not very fun, contained cheap deaths.
3/10

Bolt Gardens Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG
Nice level layout, I struggled to find the way in the end and kept falling to the bottom, nice graphics also.
6/10

Molten Cavern Zone, Act 1 by Chrome
A good level, the new enemies kept me on edge, It was pretty fun also. Loses marks mainly for the seemingly impossible and highly dark area and lack of checkpoints.
7/10

Detonation Drift Zone by RedEchidna
Wouldn't even load without crashing SRB2.

Icelandic Tempest Zone by Akirahedgehog
Very very nice level, it was laid out well and was very graphical!
8/10

Sparkling Hill Zone by Brawl
I Absolutely Knew that there would be one level with the music leaked from Sonic 4. The level was fairly good for a 2d level, it seemed a bit too concentrated on speed though. It looses points for the graphical layout of the level, you just ran on blocks with blocks in the background.
6/10

Multiplayer Level Pack

Match:

MAPM1 - Emerald Hill Zone by Warp
Nice small stage, 2 heights set to it and nice layout of trees to set obstacles.
6/10

MAPM2 - Sloped Domain Zone by ComRante
Ohohoh! This is a match stage for sure, it contained many heights and a good layout of springs and rings.
9/10

MAPM3 - Aquatic Relic Zone by Spherallic
A nice graphical level and different heights, the maze layout kept you on edge.
7/10

MAPM4 - Bone Cave by Brawl
An okay layout, it seems like loads of clashing textures were mixed into one.
4/10

MAPM5 - Labyrinth Cavern Zone by darkbob1713
A nice mario themed level, all one level height relatively.
6/10

MAPM6 - Complete Chaos Zone by Blade
A nice level, different heights, a horrible lack of weapons.
7/10

CTF:
MAPF1 - Storm Temple Zone by Scizor300
A cool level with nice platforms and music.
8/10

MAPF2 - Concrete Conflict Zone by ComRante
Small level but still fairly fun.
7/10

MAPF3 - Clockwork Towers Zone by KO.T.E/Spherallic
A nice level layout, cool gimmicks as well.
8/10

MAPF4 - Desert Dash Zone by darkbob1713
Nice level, goof choice of music, looses points for rising sand which is an annoyance when holding a flag.
7/10

MAPF5 - Vivacious Valley Zone by RedEchidna
Good level, a bit too easy to cross though, nice heights.
7/10

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Wacky Tesseract Zone by Fawfulfan
A very cool level, so fun that for once I did more than 1 lap, the scenery was cool and the level had a nice flow to it, perhaps more scenery in the 2d part.
9/10

MAPR2 - Green Hill Zone by WEREHOG
An okay level, no checkpoints though which made each lap a 10 second run.
4/10

MAPR3 - Jungle Ruins Zone by darkbob1713
A nice cool level, awesome slopes and graphics, especially around the start, the sinking sand was no problem either.
9/10

MAPR4 - Egg Hall Zone by Blade
This is a very good example of a race level, a nice combination of speed and platforming, you can't rush through the level without riskily trying to avoid the spinning spike balls, no real flaw.
9/10

MAPR5 - Arctic Caves Zone by Simsmagic
Nice graphical level with robotnik in for some reason, nice ice graphics.
8/10

MAPR6 - City Jump by Brawl
Not nice or fun. Too short.
2/10

Last edited:
You're supposed to give solid ratings, not decimal points.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

A very cool level, so fun that for once I did more than 1 lap,
What? Does that mean that you didn't test it in Race Mode?

Single Player

River Dash Zone – N/A
Hooray, my small generic GFZ map. Enjoy the map was started just so I could see what I could do with SRB2 Doom Builder in all of it’s short, cramped, glory <3

Castle Goth Zone Act 1 – 3
As far as gimmicks are concerned, many of them didn’t fit the theme used, the gravity reversing and teleporters don’t fit the castle theme presented.

Also, there was a pit of water that was opaque, not a great idea when it is covering a death pit. Leaving the player clueless about that kind of trap isn’t a great idea.

Furthermore, in this room http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4142/srb20046.png if you intend on making the area around the path an instant-kill sector, anywhere, instead of an instant-kill sector, floor touch, you should make it clearer to avoid confusion, especially as the badniks can move on the floor in that room.

Oh, and HoM crusher. http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2101/srb20045.png

Bolt Gardens Zone, Act 1 – 1
Well, this level can’t be finished by Sonic
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1382/srb20048.png Massive problem there, if you’re going to create a level that a character can’t finish, then provide an alternate route or use forceskin to make the player use a more suitable character for the level.

Regarding the level layout, it was confusing and difficult to navigate for all the wrong reasons. I had little sense of direction, which led me to taking a few dead end turns and in one case, jumping off of a ledge only to find myself at the start of the level! It really needs to be clearer as to where the player needs to go.

Another thing to note, was that the platform just in front of me in this screenshot http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/896/srb20047.png was tagged as a death pit, disaster ensues. On a similar note, this spring http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7514/srb20049.png just throws a first time player into a death pit without warning. Not exactly enjoyable design.

Molten Cavern Zone, Act 1 – 8
Starting off, I loved the geographical detail in this level. The collapsed ruins and the flowing paths the lava had cut through the rock were interesting to look at and added to the atmosphere. However, the textural detail was not so hot (pun not intended). The greys, dark browns and dark reds were all drab to look at. While this was not a problem when lava or the ruin structures were present, as their brighter tones helped provide a balance, it was bland in all other circumstances.

Visual gripes aside, this was a solid and enjoyable stage. The new badnik was interesting to look at and fitted the theme excellently. But didn’t provide anything new gameplay wise as the Arid Canyon Turtle already filled his role, regardless though, a fire orbinaut was awesome enough to make up for it. (That and the turtle wouldn’t have worked in a volcano stage), regarding the level layout, it was for the most part enjoyable. But the section with platforms alternating in and out of the lava was frustrating, while one section with collapsing platforms, seen here http://img85.imageshack.us/i/srb20052.png/ didn’t look like they would collapse. Finding a Knuckles only section was a pleasant surprise as well.

Finally, regarding glitches. There’s a HoM here http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6418/srb20051.png and towards the end of the level, there’s a platform tagged as a death pit and another HoM http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1981/srb20050.png 1-up of death D:

Detonation Drift Zone – 6
Ah! Got a sigsegv in the tails path!

That aside, the midi music was a surprise and a good use of the SRB1 music, as it didn’t sound out of place in this stage.

Moving on, regarding the level layout, there was a lot of replay value here, to say the least. I played through the stage at least 4 times to see everything because of all of the alternating character specific paths, however, a few of the gimmicks on these paths were not immediately obvious. Such as the space countdown water on the Sonic/Tails path that makes the player rise, I can’t see any players figuring out what to do there without expending a few lives first, on a related note of obscure gimmicks, on the Knuckles path, I was being hailed by pop-up turrets that I assume were on the ceiling, but I was never able to spot a single turret while dashing from safe zone to safe zone. While I’m on the topic of the gameplay functionality, the lava slide room that gives you a free elemental shield is outright confusing to a player that already has the elemental shield from earlier in the level.

However, some of the other gimmicks were pretty enjoyable and original, the best example of this would be as far as I’m concerned, the Sonic areas where you spindash to turn on the power. That was a blast.

Regarding the visuals, seeing the same red cave texture time and time again, got rather… Dull and the geographical details never really stood out as being anything memorable.

Oh, and random patch of grass at the start. Wat.

Icelandic Tempest Zone – 7
Well, this map sure was a tempest of themes. Every turn seemed to introduce a new theme at me and totally caught me off guard, when I first saw the map and heard the Touhou music, I assumed it would just be an ice level. I was proven wrong very quickly.

That aside, I really enjoyed the music for this stage. Energetic, catchy and pleasant to listen to, fitting for a Sonic game.

Next up, the theme transitions. They felt awkward and clunky to be honest, with nothing separating an ice area and a lava area sitting next to it with no natural transition, a gradual introduction of each theme would have been preferred. Of course, texture wise this stage kept me on my toes the entire time because of all of the changing textures and the custom skull thing decorate used was a nice surprise as well, as was the fossil texture used in one room, not to mention the giant Sonic 2 cartridge, the ice temple, fish tanks and the flippin’ Star Treck Room

Gameplay wise, while each theme had its appropriate gimmicks, only the jungle area with bouncing mushrooms and the ice area felt fleshed out enough. The other areas however just made their appearance had their basic gimmicks introduced and utilised then gone as suddenly as they appeared.

Also, regarding the dangerous water in the grassland area as shown here http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8528/srb20053.png the Crawla milling about there suggests that it is safe for the player to enter, leading to a cheap hit. Do not want.

Sparkling Hill Zone – 4
The mandatory Sonic 4 themed 2D stage, it was bound to happen at some point.

The new graphics and music were nice touch and made the stage feel fresh, however, the overuse of green (Most of the background shared the same green texture that the floor used) was poor on the eyes and the new motobug looked awful.

Gameplay wise, a 2D mode map could really use some more branching paths to compensate for the lack of a third dimension. Two paths with only a small difference between them wasn’t enough variety to keep things interesting or give it any significant replay value.

The ice/sludge floors used to simulate slope physics were… Awkward, to say the least, they failed to give the player any feeling of being on a slope and the only redeeming factor of them was that they enabled the player to moonwalk, even though that isn’t intentional.

Sideways springs were interesting, but they don’t work in SRB2 game play as the player already gains speed quickly and doesn’t need to use the things so they never served a useful gameplay purpose aside from the initial “Oh, that’s neat” reaction.

Wouldn't even load without crashing SRB2.
I've never had any problems with this. Try it again maybe?

(Well, I do remember the map crashing once when I had the game resolution real high. Try turning your resolution down?)

Proper Descriptions and multiplayer ratings may or may not come later.

Single Player Level Pack

Single Player:
River Dash Zone by Whackjood - 5/10
I liked the healthy amount of secrets here.

Castle Goth Zone, Act 1 by Spongecar - 2/10

Bolt Gardens Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG - 0/10
Unfinishable as Sonic

Molten Cavern Zone, Act 1 by Chrome - 7/10

Detonation Drift Zone by RedEchidna - 8/10

Icelandic Tempest Zone by Akirahedgehog - 8/10

Sparkling Hill Zone by Brawl - 2/10
clearly the best level in the pack

Multiplayer Level Pack

Match:

CTF:

Circuit:

MP votes now. Yay.
Also, I felt like doing something else.

MATCH

Emerald Hill by Warp - 2/10
+It doesn't look that bad.
-One of each weapon panel please.
-[sarcasm]I think you might need some more trees.[/sarcasm]
-It's too small.
-You need more texture variation.

Sloped Domain by ComRante - 5/10
+It looks very good, and I've never seen a purple-oriented theme before.
+The layout is very solid.
-The item placement is barely passable, were it not for the fact that there is two of every weapon, and one of the Explosion panels is inaccessible for Sonic.
-Some panels are a bit too close to each other.
-It's very basic.
-There is no thok barrier.

Aquatic Relic by Spherallic - rush/job
Yay, this is even more of a rush job than Amber Ravine :D
(6-7 hours, probably less)
If I'd give it a rating, it would be a 5/10.

Bone Cave by Brawl - 1/10
-Looks like crap, and those checkerboard textures don't fit.
-It's too small and cramped.
-Ammo is just as rare as weapon panels.
-Nothing good about it.

Labyrinth Cave by darkbob1713 - 3/10
+Item placement isn't too bad.
+Looks passable, except for the fact that it's
-blue blue blue brown blue blue black blue green blue blue
-Random deathpits.
-Rings need to be spread a bit better.
-Very basic.

Complete Chaos by Blade - 1/10
-Looks like crap.
-Plays like crap.
-Blade, you're obviously not a god at making match maps in less than a day, please keep it to Race.

CAPTURE THE FLAG

Storm Temple
by Scizor300 - 1/10
-
Very ugly.
-Learn from your fucking criticism. I mean, you basically repeated all the flaws you made in your previous maps, and added some additional ones.
-For example, don't place those goddamned ? monitors, and put only one of each weapon panel, for gods sake.
-Some of the items were in the death pit.
-It lags like all hell.

Concrete Conflict by ComRante - 3/10
+Passable item placement.
+Nice visuals.
+Nice concept, but
-it's horribly executed.
-It's way too small.
-Random death pits.
-It has no Automatic, Bounce and Grenade panels.

Clockwork Towers by KOTE/Spherallic - lol/jk
I quite like this level, personally. I can't really understand why people get confused, just pay a bit of attention, jeez.
KOTE, you are an awesome guy, who does cool maps and doesn't afraid of anything.
And Blade, major thanks to you for making the gears spin. It's awesome.
If I were to give it a rating, I'd give it a 7/10.

Desert Dash by darkbob1713 - 2/10
+Doesn't look bad.
+Decent item placement.
-Rising quicksand? Either way, it's too annoying to escape, and the Scatter is too hard to get that way.
-The rising quicksand gimmick is the worst gimmick ever to be featured in a CTF stage. It's way too hard to get out of it, especially under heavy lag and with the flag. I can't say this enough.
-Too small, and it's too easy to get the flags.

Vivacious Valley by RedEchidna - 4/10
+Passable item placement.
+Decent layout.
-Ugly visuals.
-It's extremely basic.
-It's kinda small, and a little bit cramped.

...And I thought last contest was bad. Seriously, there are no maps that I gave higher than a 5 (not including my own maps). Did everyone rush their maps or something?
OLDC entrants, I am disappoint.

EDIT: Lowered Desert Dash's score to 3/10.

EDIT 2: Lowered Sloped Domain's score to 5/10.

EDIT 3: Lowered Desert Dash's score to 2/10, and raised Vivacious Valley's score to 4/10.

Last edited:
MAPM2 - Sloped Domain Zone by ComRante: 5/10

This isn't really a slope, but whatever. The thok barrier was broken in some places, there were panels EVERYWHERE (More specifically Grenade, which is not a good idea to have so much of), random monitors are NEVER good, and there were so few ring monitors. But the layout was okay. It needs some polish with item placement and thok barrier fixing

I looked at the map to see why the thok barrier was broken and found out that there actually isn't a thok barrier. Thank you for pointing that out, I knew going from Doom mapping to SRB2 mapping would screw me over in some form or fashion.

Ok, so Me, Majin, Kopper, WhackJood and a few others played the multiplayer division and here come my results. You better be ready.

Race Division:

Green Hill Zone: 1/10

Thok Fest, lack of scenery, the spikeballs at the beginning were annoying and the confusing pointless path was just unnecessary. It fools players to go whichever path and it's just unfair. The bouncing on box gimmick to the other side is also pointless as I can get there with a speed thok if I'm fast enough.

City Jump Zone: 0/10

Absolutely terrible level. All it is is just jump, thok > repeat without falling into the pit and getting sigsevs which happened whilst we were playing. I can't see anything positive about this level.

Arctic Caves: 4/10

The sub title you got that right, *Rush Job* which is what the majority of this was. It was a thok fest heaven which was quite cramped for most of it and what is Eggman doing in the background? the texture variation was nice though.

Jungle Ruins: 5/10

Whilst this level was average with the nice texture variation & scenery as well as most of the level design, it suffered from 1 critical flaw. Near the start, you can fall through one of the small gaps which you cannot escape from. Otherwise, nothing else to be said.

Egg Hall: 5/10

Nice castle like theme with nice texture variation, it lagged a small bit, and it was annoying due to the many maces placed in the level in the most unnecessary parts. It was also quite cramped as well. Though this would of been an awesome start to a SP level if you ask me.

Wacky Tesseract Zone: 5/10

Just another average map. Whilst the idea was nice, some of the gimmicks were either unnecessary such as the 2D & The reverse gravity, and also annoying such as the falling blocks over a death pit >.< I like the wavey floor & the texture variation on most areas though.

I was hoping the race division would be good, but was a small bit disappointing.

Now the ranting in the race area is done, it's now time to target the CTF stages.

Storm Temple: 3/10

It lagged like hell, the weapons were waaaaay to close to one another, it was quite bland and you can even climb on a invisible wall? you really need to fix these problems if you want this level to be good at all. Textures were ok, and the music was kind of interesting choice.

Concrete Conflict: 4/10

lol for the slightly unoriginal name. Anyways, this level may had good visuals such as the textures, it was way to small, and the transparent block allows you too see what the other team is doing, leaving you to not be able to stealth at all. Some of the gimmicks such as the floating platforms slowed you down most of the time too which was also annoying.

ClockWork Towers: 6/10

This level is quite underrated actually, I had quite a bit f fun on this level. There was quite a bit to explore, though it was kind of confusing to find the bases. A good risk vs reward setup, and the texture variation was nice. I like the spinning corkscrew though, shame you can't be taken along with it when it moves.

Desert Dash: 5/10

Average, though you have red ring monitors in the blue team base and the level itself is also quite small, otherwise there's not much to say here.

Vivacious Valley: 1/10

IT BUUURRRNNNSSSS

But seriously, the textures just make your want to cry, they are so bright and the texture variation was just not good at all. It was so tiny as well and everything just seemed too close. The weapon rings, the powerups, it just felt so cramped. You can do waaay much better than this.

CTF was ok, but parts were very disappointing. Now to target the match levels.

Match Division:

Emerald Hill: 2/10

This just has rush job written all over it. Copy pasted trees everywhere, the level was tiny, the weapons were too close and the water areas were cramped. Also your monitors are in balanced as hell as the most powerful ones are on the trees, easy to access = cheap win. Sort this out, jeez.

Sloped Domain: 3/10

It's obvious you've put some effort into this map, but it's just not enough. The grass variation did not suit with the other grass very well, the level was quite small itself and it's unbalanced for all 3 characters. Tails players mainly have a stupidly high advantage because of the level layout. Texture variation was not good. All I saw was green & purple and there was hardly any weapons in the level at all.

Aquatic Relic: 6/10

This level was quite good actually. Nice texture variation, quite a few areas to explore, good ring & weapon placement, though the level was too big and it lacked scenery as it was VERY bland. The waterfalls just look strange though.

Bone Cave: 1/10

Oh god this level was a bad one too, the texture variation is just messed up, it's very tiny map, weapon placement was a mess and instakill lava is NOT cool at all. Sonic players have a tricky time getting around some parts of the stage too.

Labyrinth Cavern: 4/10

This place badly lacks texture variation. Blue Black Green, that's all I saw and the place is littered with death pits which was annoying as hell. The stage could of been bigger as well and the music choice was odd. I liked thing thing placement though.

Complete Chaos: 3/10

Come on Blade, you can do MUCH better than this. This level was not good at all. The place is large, but ridiculously bland, it had no scenery whatsoever and there was hardly any rings or weapons anywhere. The music choice as also odd as well and what was with the special stage damage? players can camp in there to prevent their weapons & emeralds from being stolen. Sort this out.

Match could of been better, but a few things were good, but some levels wern't that good either.

Overall Multiplayer rating: Average, whilst a few maps were good, some were disappointing and could be much better.

The SP division feedback will be here soon once I've tested those levels.

Last edited:
SinglePlayer Maps

River Dash Zone by Whackjood (7/10)
+ I like the Split roads.
+ Nice scenery.
+ Custom (Boss) Music.
- Crawla at the edge's of platforms.

Castle Goth Zone by Spongecar (3/10)
+ Nice use of Gravity flips and teleporters.
- Huge crusher.
- Crusher just after checkpoint is near to impossible.

Bolt Gardens Zone by WEREHOG (0/10)
- Not finishable with Sonic,
- Annoying small pathway at the beginning.
- Ugly Visuals.

Molten Cavern Zone by Chrome (8/10)
+ Creative Begin.
+ Custom Enemies.
+ Nice Visuals.
- Rising platforms in lava part is hard as hell.
- Kinda dark parts.

Detonation Drift Zone by RedEchidna (?/10)
I'll come back to this one later.
I am on a crappy pc right now so it's lagging and it's hard too.

Icelandic Tempest Zone by Akirahedgehog (8/10)
+ Lots of different things.
+ Custom music.
+ Sega Genesis cardridge, Aquarium and more awesome ideas.
- You can't see what water hurts.
- No checkpoints.

Sparkling Hill Zone by Brawl (5/10)
+ Refreshing style.
+ Nice custum stuff, except for the:
- Ugly Textures.
- Slippery floors.

Single Player

River Dash Zone by Whackjood
4/10
While there wasn't anything really to do then "thok thok thok" It was nice for a first level.

Castle Goth Zone, Act 1 by Spongecar
1/10
Ugh, What? This stage didn't make any sense. If it was a ERZ theme'd place then yea.. But really? Reverse gravity?

Bolt Gardens Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG
0/10
Ok, did you test your level? *If* this is beatable by Sonic it is way too cheap! Many times I got lost and died by nothing or cheap death pits!

Molten Cavern Zone, Act 1 by Chrome
10/10
Ok, This was awesome, You have successful kept me entertained from the begin to the end! The part with the rocks(where you have to thok back and forth) was annoying.. (Replay Ability!)

10/10
Again,You have successful kept me entertained from the begin to the end!
This level also has replay ability!

Icelandic Tempest Zone by Akirahedgehog
7/10
Randomness was all I saw really, nice surprises and replay ability!

Sparkling Hill Zone by Brawl
3/10
Yay, S4 level... Thing is, most 2d maps are thokfest.
I found the "Turtle in the unbreakable wall" thing was REALLY cheap!

Multi-Player

Match:

3/10
- Copy and paste;Copy and paste;Copy and paste
- I also saw a spam in flowers near the water fall.
- Did I see a Random monitor? "That's no good!"
- Same texture... over and over...
- Random weapon placement.

7/10
+ nice texture use!
- Too many stairs in one place makes Sonics easy prey to bombs

6/10
+ See the above "+"
= big.. maybe too big..
-- Wah! Too much water! elec shield is useless here.
- It is hard to see people in the water D:

3/10
++ Very creative a BONE cave!
-- Weird checker textures...
-- very very cramped like the cage
- Most bones get in your way..

5/10
= Hmm, Don't see a mixture of Mario and Sonic textures everyday!
? More platforms, so we don't see this
Code:
Kirboy fell into a bottomless pit.
D00D64 fell into a bottomless pit.
Kirboy fell into a bottomless pit.
all the time :/

1/10
-------------- RUSH MAPS ARE BAD!
-------------- Straight lines ring are almost everywhere..

CTF:
1/10
--- Extremely poor weapon placement ( I counted like 3 bomb tiles while running to the base.)
-- Stage lag
-- weapons in pits... What the?

4/10
+ Ooo, a quick map like Icicles falls
- The choke point is too small
= No where to hide

9/10
++ Very creative!
= Big, Maybe too big
++ Moving gears !? Sweet!
- a bit hard to figure out where you are going the first few rounds.

7/10
-- "annoy to get out of the sand with flag"
That is about it...

5/10
= Average map is average...

Circuit:

7/10
+ Colorful textures!
+ Long and full of obstacles
- I didn't like the blocks coming out of no where.
- Weird wave thing that just slow you down..
- Every spring made me lose my speed and momentum.

1/10
- ugly texture overuse
- can be completed in 44 secs (4 laps)
- Needs more checkpoints

7/10
+ Nice texture use!

8/10
(I have already told Blade about this map,but here is what I haven't told him.)
+ Locked off paths are a +

6/10
Thok race with some platform obstacles, enough said

0/10 Obstacles platform race with some thoks

--- 75% Same texture over and over...

Please pm me if you want to file a complain about something. (Creators only)

Last edited:
Singleplayer:

River Dash Zone-5/10

Interesting design, and two interesting gimmicks, but the level is far too short for it to be fully enjoyed. Expand upon what you have so far, and it would turn out to be much more enjoyable. The boss felt really out of place in my opinion.

Castle Goth Zone-2/10

Besides the gravity flip, the crushers, and the teleports, it's just a bland, boring looking stage.

Bolt Gardens Zone-1/10

If a level is designed to be unbeatable by one of the three main characters, it should be stated somehow. Either by using forceskin, or using the no Sonic sign. The level overall is just boring and devoid of anything interesting.

Molten Cavern Zone

I really can't say much about this one, It's my largest map as of yet, and I had more gimmicks planned to be used here, but I decided to wait on them, and put them to use in act 2.

Detonation Drift Zone-6/10

First of all, your level is ugly, very, very ugly. It's also very confusing, the entire playthrough I'm thinking to myself "Did I do this right? How does this work? Am I going the right way?" I swear, I took the Knuckles path as Tails and the Sonic path as knuckles and...I don't know. The fact that I never game overed while playing as Sonic was probably just luck.

Icelandic Tempest Zone-7/10

I don't play Touhou, so when I first heard the music, I thought it was a good fit for an ice-themed level. However, 30 seconds in, the theme switches to volcano, then it continues to switch as time passes by. I was a bit dissapointed that this wasn't an ice level, but the mushroom area really helped me enjoy this more than I thought I would. It was the most interesting part of the level for me.

Sparkling Hill Zone-2/10

The custom textures look nice, but the music annoys me, the enemies annoy me because I can't see them, and the platforms annoy me because they all look the same. Let's stop trying to copy SEGA's mistakes, please.

Last edited:
Hi Rileyss, cousin. :D

Anyways, now for the Single Player votes.

SINGLE PLAYER

River Dash Zone by Whackjood - 5/10
This stage is extremely average. While it does have some good ideas which are 6/10 or 7/10 worthy, the theme is generic and the overall level is quite cramped. It's also quite short. Nothing else to say, other than the fact that this is very good for a first level.

Castle Goth Zone Act 1 by Spongecar - 2/10
Is this a castle? It seems more like a testing area, and the gimmicks don't really make any sense. The gravity flips are not needed, and the instakill room is just weird. The slope is also very ugly, and the level's also very short and ugly.

Bolt Gardens Zone Act 1 by WEREHOG - 0/10
It's unclearable as Sonic. This is not a problem by itself, were it not for the fact that you didn't specify it anywhere. However, this time I am gonna give some comments on the level.
It's ugly, the small pathway at the start is not noticable when you jump out of the starting platform, and it's also very confusing.
In other words, this map had no redeeming value to begin with.

Molten Cavern Zone Act 1 by Chrome - 6/10
This level was decent for me. It was quite enjoyable, and I liked the custom enemy. However, I couldn't get past the lava room with the rising black platforms, and some parts were slightly confusing. The crumbling platforms are also quite unneeded, seeing as they only hinder your progress. It also didn't stand out with anything, in my opinion.

Detonation Drift Zone by RedEchidna - 5/10
I remember when this stage was still called Volcano Volley. I couldn't find many improvements since that version, and I eventually couldn't get any further due to the extreme lag (yes, I'm on the same pc as Rileyss, but he's slightly worse than me at SRB2). To be honest, this stage isn't hard at all, just a bit lame at some parts (lavaslide). It's quite average otherwise.

Icelandic Tempest Zone by akirahedgehog - 7/10
This level has the best aesthetics of all levels entered so far in the 2.0 OLDCs, hands down. It's unbelievably awesome looking, from start to end. The music is also stellar, and it fits the mood extremely well. However, there is one major flaw with this level: the gameplay. It's mostly running, with a low amount of platforming. Sure, the mushrooms add a bit of variation, but it's otherwise very bland to play in. The transitions are also quite random sometimes.

Sparkling Hill Zone by Brawl - 2/10
The custom stuff was quite nice, especially the horizontal springs. However, the stage was quite horrible otherwise. The custom textures were very ugly, the floors were slippery for some reason, the gameplay was ridiculously easy (except for the unavoidable damage sometimes), and it was way too short.

Well, the Single Player division's slightly better this time.

EDIT: Lowered Molten Cavern's score to 6/10.

Last edited:
~~~RACE~~~

MAPR1 - Wacky Tesseract Zone by Fawfulfan - 6/10
Nice map, though I dislike the 2D part, and it's a tad long.

MAPR2 - Green Hill Zone by WEREHOG - 1/10
Patheticly short, Those spiked balls are placed oddly, and that river is a real pain.

MAPR3 - Jungle Ruins Zone by darkbob1713 - 6/10
Good, but some parts look sorta ugly, and theres a few bugs. Namely, if you hit the checkpoint in the quicksand and die, you will keep dieing.

MAPR4 - Egg Hall Zone by Blade -awe/some
:D

MAPR5 - Arctic Caves Zone by Simsmagic 3/10
THOKTHOKTHOKTHOKTHOK--OH NOEZ I MISSED A BRIDGE

MAPR6 - City Jump by Brawl - 0/10
You need more than one starpost. Also, everyone but one person died. On the first lap. That is bad.

~~~MATCH~~~

MAPM1 - Emerald Hill Zone by Warp - 2/10
You have a nuke placed on the map. It's also rather flat, and you forgot to add a colormap to the water.

MAPM2 - Sloped Domain Zone by ComRante -7/10
Good, but there are some spots where you can go outside of the level, and you're using "?" monitors, insted of SRMs.

MAPM3 - Aquatic Relic Zone by Spherallic - 6/10
Sorta dark underwater, and I had a hard time finding people. Pretty good, though.

MAPM4 - Bone Cave by Brawl - 0/10
When the whole match turns into a giant Ring hunt, you KNOW something is wrong.

MAPM5 - Labyrinth Cavern Zone by darkbob1713 - 6/10
I sorta liked this, but some texture choices where ew.

MAPM6 - Complete Chaos Zone by Blade - RUSH/JOB
Pretty good for being made in 60 minutes, eh? I forgot to add weapon pannels, though. :(

Last edited:
Single Player

River Dash Zone - 3/10
When playing the contest version of this level, I ask myself: "Why am I even giving critique on this?" I mentioned several flaws before that you did not fix, and I've given several suggestions you simply ignored. As a result, your level is practically getting nowhere. It simply exists, but it doesn't feel like a real level at all. It's simply too flat, too basic and too short. You did have two good ideas with the spring room and the waterslide, but that doesn't redeem this level that much. You also didn't align the textures and stayed with the ugly GFZ texturing. As a result, your level looks even more boring and plain. I won't bother going more in-depth, because you know what's wrong, and I know you don't care about this level.

Castle Goth Zone, Act 1 - 1/10
You are obviously a beginner at mapping, and it shows even more than in Whackjood's level. The most important thing is that your level feels like an obstacle course for the sole reason that it is one. You completely neglected any kind of visuals and just made rooms that contain your gimmicks. As a result, most of the level is covered in the same texture, making it look very ugly. Also, there's no scenery to be found. There's also a sense of crampedness in many spots, especially after the first crusher. Your enemy placement lacks care and caution, resulting in many hits that should've been preventable. This includes the Minus after the faux-slope (it looks horrendous, don't even try to make one) which I fall on half of the time, and the Crawla Commander in the cramped dungeon entrance that I cannot see before it hits me. The Crawla armada is also unnecessary. Neither does it look good nor is it a threat. The same goes for the FaceStabber armada at the end. The crusher after the first star post kills me nearly every time because I can't see what's ahead, and the Extra Life and the token after it are very easy to get. The gravity switching feels out of place, and especially at the beginning, it doesn't do all that much. Two more things need addressing: Opaque water over death pits is bad, because it can't see it's a death pit, and the teleporters look ugly; just keep it to one color. You do have potential, seeing as you incorporated some advanced gimmicks in your map, but you really need to work on your execution.

Bolt Gardens Zone, Act 1 - 2/10
Well, you have definitely improved, and your visuals are quite competent (though some of the textures clash too much), but it's not completable as Sonic, and the layout is quite confusing at times. This would probably have gotten a 3/10, but it's unplayable for Sonic. If you do something like this, please use Forceskin.
EDIT: Playing through this again with Knuckles showed that the level just got worse as I continued, culminating in a random death pit fest with tons of unfitting textures thrown in without good measure. Please take your time when designing a level.
EDIT2: Actually, it's unfair to give you zero points just for that. There have been several levels that aren't completable as Tails or Knux, so you do get 2/10 from me.

Molten Cavern Zone, Act 1 - 7/10
Chrome returns... and he's better than ever! This map is truly unique and quite a blast to play through. The mix of DSZ ruins with RVZ volcano theme works great, mostly because of your extremely competent implementation and your admirable sense for detail. There was plenty of eye-candy, and the things that stuck to my mind the most were this broken bridge very high above the rest of the room and the nicely executed ending sequence. The custom enemy adds a nice touch, but the fireballs don't hurt you. There are plenty of well-hidden and challenging secrets, as well as a Knux-only path. This Knux-only path is somewhat boring though, since I can simply glide through it. The platforming was challenging but forgiving, with some really nice gimmicks thrown in (mostly in the left path though, which was a bit better overall). They weren't really all that spectacular or innovative, but they added an appreciated sense of challenge. I especially liked the up-and-down-moving lava blocks in the outside section and the quickly rising and falling lava that made me rush at insane speeds. There were some things that bothered me though (apart from th already mentioned ones), effectively lowering your score from 9/10 to 7/10: The beginning is quite boring, since the fans take so long, so you should probably make the starting point higher. The outside areas were a bit dull, mostly due to lacking texture variation and ruins scenery. There was also a HOM somewhere in the room before the ending. That one room with the lava pseudo-maze was quite boring, since it consisted of the same running and turning four three or four times. The flamethrowers need visual cues, because they are too unpredictable otherwise. Apart from these issues, your map is very good, and if you polish it a bit, this can really shine.

Detonation Drift Zone - 5/10
From what I've heard, this has to be hell on earth and you said yourself it's as hard as ERZ. Boy, was I let down. This is not nearly as hard as ERZ, and you should know. That's not to say it isn't full of creative ideas though. You really have some great gimmicks in here, but it's let down by ugly visuals and overall confusing layout. Since this map is so reliant on gimmicks, it's also hit or miss. For example, the Elemental Shield waterslide didn't work at all (get hit once, then use temporary invincibility to survive nonetheless) and too strong fans are simply too strong and result in button-mashing. I also found tons of cheap lava rooms that made me get hurt just to continue without being bothered, and a horribly non-working 2D section. The per-character path-split section was full of shit, and I won't bother explaining it in detail (the most unexpected things were the worst, and most of it was really unexpected). But since there were some nice or at least not bad things as well (the light gimmick was nicely executed and most things I didn't note were at least some fun), you still get a 5/10. If you cut out all the unnecessary crap and give this a visual overhaul, this might work really well. By the way, what's with 1313?
EDIT: After seeing the horridly designed Tails/Knux paths and not being able to get past the fans in the left path at the beginning with Tails, I decided to drop your score by one point. Also, there are a lot of Star Posts missing rings, resulting in several unnecessary deaths.
EDIT3 (!): Tails can pass these fans, I apologize. Score back to 5/10.

Icelandic Tempest Zone - 5/10
The exact opposite of the aforementioned map, this is overly reliant on visuals, and it's just as hit or miss. Only BlueZero4 ever got away with this, because it's really hard to pull off. Your whole lava section looks like shit (eww, MM8 rocks), and the whole short path is too short too bland and empty. The right one is much better, but there are also plenty of bland or ugly sections. Don't get me wrong, there are many great-looking sections, but they are too few and too far in-between for me to enjoy them. Additionally, the concept sucks mainly because it exists. Mixing literature and video games is like mixing philosophy and porn, I'm sorry. The Touhou music just bloated the filesize, and you don't get points for that. Hell, I could make a list of things you don't get points for if I wanted to, including the useless Emerald hunting. The Star Trek room was also too easy to find, so what's left then?

Sparkling Hill Zone - 1/10
Thokthokthokthokthok - oh shit, an enemy, thokthokthokdone. Really, tons of custom stuff and nice visuals don't help you when the entire thing contains no gameplay at all.

Match

Emerald Hill Zone - 2/10
Wow, this one sure is flat. There is barely any content apart from some islands containing trees, and that's not what I call an interesting layout. Meadow Match is not a good zone to copy. Also, there's way too many panels for such a small level. All official maps, no matter how big they are have only one panel for each weapon, and you have two in such a small one, and even three for Grenade. Little ammo doesn't help when there are three panels, really. The waterfall underwater section was fairly overpowered because it contained many easy-to-get powerups as well as an alternate way to the tree tops, but at least it added a sense of strategy. All random monitors are WRMs, even the Armageddon Shield one. Make this one an SRM, and probably give it a weaker base item as well. There are only ten emerald spawns, even in a small map like this, there should be 30+ of them for proper randomization. In terms of visuals, this is not too bad, but the huge GHZ walls are monotonous.

Sloped Domain Zone - 5/10
The sector layout is really nice, there's no doubt about it. There's a great amount of height variation, both spring-based and platform-based. These towers also work quite well. The visuals are nice, even if there isn't that much texture variation. But there are some very glaring flaws that bring this map down real fast: There is no thok barrier, which breaks the level, especially for Knux. There are random monitors instead of WRMs and SRMs, which basically means switching around locations and weapons every minute. There are also too many weapon panels, one of each is enough. I do like that one Explosion Ring is inaccessible for Sonic, but you should really not do this with weapon panels but with monitors. Emerald spawns, as in most maps, are too few.

Aquatic Relic Zone - 6/10
Code:
[16:04] <SpiritCrusher> Please stop making rush jobs that ruin your reputation :P
[16:05] <Spherallic> :P
This is better than all the other maps because you actually know what you're doing, but it's nothing special at all. The layout is nice as is the weapon placement, but there's nothing original to it. It's also a tad large and open in some spots, but it still plays well enough, so you get a 6/10. I also had problems finding the Bomb Ring location, but that's probably not your fault, since I didn't play this in a bigger netgame. (But look at his emerald spawns, he has 105. :P)

Bone Cave - 1/10
Not only is this way too small, it's also ugly as hell, with lots of random texturing everywhere. As a result of being small, the sector layout consists of only one winding staircase and an additional platform, basically. This also means that most weapons are placed kinda randomly. The small nature of the map also leads to a lack of rings and ammo for many players. There are no WRMs or SRMs, and only seven emerald spawn, which means they always spawn at the same locations. The insta-kill lava makes no sense, and since it's tucked away in the corner, it barely serves any purpose. There are exactly 7 emerald spawns, which means they always show up in the same location. In general, this map doesn't really do all that much right, I'm sorry.

Labyrinth Cavern Zone - 4/10
Just as ARZ, this is for the most part decent, but nothing special. The layout is even less interesting and more basic here though, being very blocky and at parts large and empty. There are some things that make it worse though: It is very ugly, relying on blue, green and brown entirely, and mixing Mario and non-Mario visuals very badly. Weapons don't get used all that much, because there is a definite lack of ammo in here. The only weapon that actually does get used much is Grenade, and that means that the level plays exactly as following: Someone gets the Grenade panel, spams the springs leading to it with them until there are none left, repeat. Only Explosion provides a viable alternative. Also, no emerald spawns? What were you thinking? By the way, you should use a shield as the base item for an SRM.

Complete Chaos Zone - 2/10

Haha no. Apart from the lack of weapon rings and the obvious rushing, this isn't that bad, and it's actually quite fun. But the copypasting design, overplacement of rings, and mostly the lack of weapon rings prevent this from being any good.

CTF

Storm Temple Zone - 1/10
This map is so broken, it's hard to list all the flaws. I'll begin with the only good thing I can say about it, and that's the visuals. They are terribly unoriginal, but at least it looks good. Then we come to the sector layout, where I have to question if you playtested this. There's absolutely no reason to go to the high spots, because I can just dash through the middle and even get several monitors and weapon panels while doing so. Taking dangerous springs and getting no reward for it is so insane that nobody ever does it. The base design is awkward, because you have to experiment with the springs to even make it to the flag. There's also no real secondary path to be found. But now on to the weapon placement, and this is where you lose all remaining points. There is an insane number of 33 random monitors, which means teleports, scramblers, invincibility and even Eggman monitors are very common. Then there is the weapon placement, and this is where I question your common sense. You have 12 Bounce Panels, no Rail Ring Panel but Rail Ammo, panels in a pit (including the only Auto Panel) and so forth. Nothing is balanced, nothing has common sense, and there are frequently five or more panels in close proximity to each other. Sorry, but this is just horrible.

Concrete Conflict Zone - 4/10
Very small map, with an obligatory choke point, which isn't all that good to do. Thanks to the small nature of the map, there is very little running space, making the map quite brutal. The death pits are unnecessary and only made me move even slower than I already did, and the flag is barely defendable, since Sonic can just thok into it from above. Try to make the floor transparent at least, so you can use Explosion Rings at least. Otherwise, same issues as with almost every map: Not every panel to be found, some panels more than twice (twice is OK in CTF), no WRMs or SRMs. The layout could be interesting with more space and a secondary path though, and I must admit I had more fun in here than most other stages.

Clockwork Towers Zone - 8/10
Spherallic, you placed more emerald spawns in this contest that all the others together, probably. This is the only Match or CTF stages that shows signs of being properly developed and cared enough about. The layout is a tad confusing at first (the inside rooms should be trimmed for more outside areas, probably) and it does look like a generic FPS level, but it plays put very nicely once you've got the hang of it. I especially like the shortcut from window to window, which adds much more than I would've imagined. I also like how there is only one real way out of the buildings, but several in. But what puzzles me the most is that you two have the talent of always placing the weapon panels in the most fitting places (except Bounce, which could use a slightly more cramped room; switch with Scatter perhaps?). The bases are very well-made: most action is in there, but camping is not too easy. It is a hard challenge to attack a base to retain your own flag, but it is entirely possible.

Desert Dash Zone - 2/10
And now back to ranting... No seriously, you are the only one to neither be Spherallic or KOTE nor make any beginners mistake. In fact, the layout is quite nice, featuring effective secondary paths (I like how one path can't be used to get into the base, but out of it, making defense easier), and nice item layout around the bases. The quicksand-based centerpiece doesn't work nearly that well though, because it makes important weapon rings inaccessible half of the time. Also, it's quite hard to get from base to base when the quicksand is up, because it requires a special ability. Flag carriers need to wait or have the luck to possess a Whirlwind Shield, resulting in a frustratingly low-scoring map. Everybody switched to Tails and Knux, flag carriers frequently got stuck in the sand, and the flag was very hard to get back as well. I do have to respect your placement of Bounce and Rail at very though-out spots though. If this map had a working centerpiece (and maybe better visuals), this could've had a 6/10, but as it stands, the map is insanely hard to play.

Vivacious Valley Zone - 4/10
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, MY EYES! Those wall textures made me scream every time I was outside. The item placement was OK, and you didn't do any beginners mistakes like 60% of the people in this contest, but everything was horribly cramped, especially the high path. Also, the main path was a straight line, making everything else redundant. The underground path was so obscure that it didn't get used at all. Also, there were regular rings in the bases, and the highest ledge was the perfect flag carrier camping spot. Open up the cramped spots a bit more, balance the paths better so that they all get used, retexture this whole thing, and this should be a good map.EDIT: Finding out that nobody else had this "unused path" problem in netgames apart from me, I'll lower your score to 4/10, I guess.

Race

Wacky Tesseract Zone - 8/10
Ouch, my eyes. The visuals are quite horrible, but I could care less, because the gameplay is top-notch. There are some nice little gimmicks that keep you on your toes without disturbing flow (which is what Race is all about), and there's an admirable sense for detail that just screams for better textures. My only gripe are these Appearing/Disappearing FOFs that kill you if you run into them at the wrong time. The rest is really varied and consistent, balancing thokking and platforming really well. Even the 2D section works well until I turn off chasecam, but it's not your fault that it screws up if I do.
EDIT:After playing this a few times more, I must say the visuals really grew on me as well. They are varied, with a nice sense of detail, the surreal scenery elements fit the theme, and it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore either. That means I only have two complaints left: The 2D section prolongs the lap without adding anything (and the chasecam, grrrr) and the App/Disapp FOFs screw with me sometimes. So, one point more for you, 8/10.

Green Hill Zone - 0/10
One Star Post. A shortcut to said Star Post. It really is unplayable when everyone knows said shortcut. But don't worry, you couldn't have gained many points anyway with horribly misplaced spikes, little to no hazards, even more shortcuts and general emptiness.

Jungle Ruins Zone - 6/10

The visuals are very nice-looking, and it also plays quite well, even though it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything. My two main complaints are that the quicksand areas are too open, resulting in confusion when you fall into, and that the lap length is a tiny bit short.

Egg Hall Zone - 7/10
I don't get all the hate for this, it appears to work quite nicely. There are a tad too many maces though, but not enough to make it frustrating. Also, the cannonball area is a bit mean for everyone who isn't first. The visuals are competent, as we are used to when you make a map. If you had kept the amount of maces to what it was before, or put in some swinging maces instead, this could've been 8/10, probably. As it stands, fawfulfan gets the cake.
EDIT: Actually, 6/10 is a bit too harsh, this is both competent and original, even if slightly flawed.

Arctic Caves Zone - 3/10
Spherallic described it correctly. This is a thokfest where the only challenge is not falling off that bridge and memorizing where these water pools are, because you can't see them before you fall in. There is a little platforming section in the first third (which you called the most polished), but the rest is largely empty. Also, everybody stopped at the Egg Mobile just for the lulz. If I was joke reviewing, I'd give you zero points for having enemies in a Race map. Coming to think of it, I want to see a joke Race map with bosses.

City Jump - 0/10
See Green Hill Zone, only uglier and with more death pit happiness, which means unplayable in two regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back