• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

That Green Echidna Guy/Steel (W.I.P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderNova

Introducing the new W.I.P., *currently un-named*!

iaza15112791595200.png
iaza15112783857600.png
iaza15112796870700.png

Thanks, KO.T.E.! Without your base sprite for me, this WAD would never've gotten started!(P.S. The first sprite is NOT KO's sprite, many changes have been made, mostly pertaining to the head.)
(These are just some of the sprites, I have yet to do any corner sprites)

Currently, he is in what I like to call the "beta" stage (all the cfgs are done, as far as the ability goes), so I can test him and see if he works right.
CURRENT ABILITY: Double-jump/2X jump
CURRENT SPEED: Fast (behind Sonic, but ahead of Knuckles)
CURRENT DESCRIPTION: A fast character, Steel's 2X jump can help you get to high places!

Help isn't needed, but if you would like to help, or suggest abilities, it is welcome!

Don't be surprised if the sprites aren't up to par with SRB2, I only just started spriting.

WAD progress
Config: 100%
Sprites: 2%

Last edited:
<Scizor300> http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=35328 <--- Oh look, another echidna for D00D64 to bitch about

And how. It's just a green echidna with white fur instead of flesh, red boxing gloves, and blue shoes without even a design. Oh, and those damn bangs I see on 75% of fan characters, and a very common ability. Hell, even the NAME lacks any originality in any way, shape, or form. Just what give me the reason, or ANYBODY the reason, to play as this guy.

I may have not liked KOTE, but at least he was SOMEWHAT original and had some good art. This is just "another fancharacter to toss in the trash" and nothing more. No interesting character design, no special abilities (or even use of the more rarely-used SRB2 abilities), and thus, no reason to use him. Just don't bother unless you can at least TRY to be original; a tall feat given that this is a fancharacter.

TBH, I think my version was slightly better. Even though it was still mostly the same.
steg.png

If you want, I could try to upgrade the look to be slightly less recolor-ish.

D00D64, you make good reasons as to why he looks like a recolour, but there is a fine line between LOOKING like a recolour, and BEING a recolour.
It's just a green echidna with white fur
instead of flesh
Yeah, it is.

red boxing gloves, and blue shoes without even a design.
I never even realized that they did look like boxing gloves, and I apologize if you don't like them. The shoes are my take on "simplicity".

Oh, and those damn bangs I see on 75% of fan characters, and a very common ability.
The dreadlocks? The only reason I use those is because they are easy to make, I am unoriginal when it comes to designs, and they are very simple.
The ability, I see a lot of possibility in it. I haven't seen other characters with the ability, aside for one or two, and I tried various other ones, such as "Wall bouncing", but they never worked right, so you can consider the 2X jump a "placeholder ability", since this still has a long way to go.

Hell, even the NAME lacks any originality in any way, shape, or form. Just what give me the reason, or ANYBODY the reason, to play as this guy.
The name, funny story about the name. "Steel" is actually very uncommon, but originality, that's another story. I just chose "Steel" because my favorite colour is Steel Blue. Same with my other fancharacter. I will admit to thinking of trashing my FCs all together, for some reasons you listed, but still, be happy it isn't a Shadow with different coloured highlights, named "AWESOME THE HEDGEHOG" , and his backstory "AWESOME WAZ CREYTID WIT SHADOW, HES HIS BRUDDER, HE CN DO EVRYDING WEN SUPER, ND HE S SUPER-STRONG".
Like i said soemwhere else, "This character is just a take on simplicity. No angsty backstory, no 'FIAH POWAHZ'. Just a STH-version of a Green Echidna, formed by my strange mind'. Same goes for the 2X Jump. Simplicity.

I may have not liked KOTE, but at least he was SOMEWHAT original and had some good art. This is just "another fancharacter to toss in the trash" and nothing more. No interesting character design, no special abilities (or even use of the more rarely-used SRB2 abilities), and thus, no reason to use him. Just don't bother unless you can at least TRY to be original; a tall feat given that this is a fancharacter.
I would play it, given that I like to create "things".
There aren't any actual reasons to use WAD characters, besides the graphics and "SUPER SPECIAL ABILITY", and considering that this is only just started, you can expect changes. I might make adjustments to the sprites, I might try a new ability again, who knows, but considering this is just the VERY BEGINNING of the WAD, you casn't really make assumptions yet. At least not until I finish with the sprites.

KO.T.E said:
TBH, I think my version was slightly better. Even though it was still mostly the same.
steg.png

If you want, I could try to upgrade the look to be slightly less recolor-ish.
Yes, yours was better, considering how you made it from scratch, and you're good at making sprites. The reason I redid your sprite was to make it look more like my thought of what he would look like.
And if you really want to, go ahead, I could care less. if you do, I might consider just making all the sprites for both WADS and releasing both, or even just keeping my current version private (That is, if I don't get lazy and forget about making sprites).

Last edited:
ITT: "it's my fancharacter and AT LEAST it isn't as lame as every other one so it's perfectly fine"
You're pretty much ignoring D00D64's advice.

Soo many echidnas on SRB2...
Is Knuckles sure when he says he's the last one from his tribe?

Aw ANOTHER ECHIDNA? Whats so good bout them. What bout fox like tails? That would be more original.

And how. It's just a green echidna with white fur instead of flesh, red boxing gloves, and blue shoes without even a design. Oh, and those damn bangs I see on 75% of fan characters, and a very common ability. Hell, even the NAME lacks any originality in any way, shape, or form. Just what give me the reason, or ANYBODY the reason, to play as this guy.

Why do have be such a put down? Not everyone wants to go make a Shadow, Silver, Vector, etc.WAD. What you need to understand is thet almost all the REAL sonic characters, have been done. So the only thing left for new WADers to do is make Fan characters, as long as its not just Sonic with glasses, or a one Tailed Tailes I see no problem with creating a new Character. All that said, I honestly hope you finish this, it looks fine, different, but also simple enough to be in a Sonic Game. But I would add something to the Shoes, just throw some black or something on there, like Jet's Boots.

Aw ANOTHER ECHIDNA? Whats so good bout them. What bout fox like tails? That would be more original.

Would you rather have a Steel or a one-tailed Steel-blue Fox with goggles?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and make the sprites more original.

D00D64, you make good reasons as to why he looks like a recolour, but there is a fine line between LOOKING like a recolour, and BEING a recolour.
Yeah, it is.

No there isn't, you're either a recolor/edit of a preexisting character or you're original. I'd use the term "light edit", but most people here favor the word Recolor to both, so that is what I use.

I never even realized that they did look like boxing gloves, and I apologize if you don't like them. The shoes are my take on "simplicity".

Well, in this case, it's boring and even more unoriginal; you couldn't even do so much as make a good looking shoe design. That's just sad.

The dreadlocks? The only reason I use those is because they are easy to make, I am unoriginal when it comes to designs, and they are very simple.

No, the Tails' tuff of hair there. But both apply, and are both unoriginal.

The ability, I see a lot of possibility in it. I haven't seen other characters with the ability, aside for one or two, and I tried various other ones, such as "Wall bouncing", but they never worked right, so you can consider the 2X jump a "placeholder ability", since this still has a long way to go.

Good luck with that. If you didn't know SOC before, you're in for... a lot of underwhelming facts and compromise.

The name, funny story about the name. "Steel" is actually very uncommon, but originality, that's another story. I just chose "Steel" because my favorite colour is Steel Blue. Same with my other fancharacter. I will admit to thinking of trashing my FCs all together, for some reasons you listed, but still, be happy it isn't a Shadow with different coloured highlights, named "AWESOME THE HEDGEHOG" , and his backstory "AWESOME WAZ CREYTID WIT SHADOW, HES HIS BRUDDER, HE CN DO EVRYDING WEN SUPER, ND HE S SUPER-STRONG".
Like i said soemwhere else, "This character is just a take on simplicity. No angsty backstory, no 'FIAH POWAHZ'. Just a STH-version of a Green Echidna, formed by my strange mind'. Same goes for the 2X Jump. Simplicity.

There's a difference between simplicity and making a boring, uninspired, unoriginal character. What's next, Emerald the Hedgehog?

I would play it, given that I like to create "things".
There aren't any actual reasons to use WAD characters, besides the graphics and "SUPER SPECIAL ABILITY", and considering that this is only just started, you can expect changes. I might make adjustments to the sprites, I might try a new ability again, who knows, but considering this is just the VERY BEGINNING of the WAD, you casn't really make assumptions yet. At least not until I finish with the sprites.

I can and I will; Not only will you change barely anything, if anything at ALL, one of the following will happen:

A: You will give up on this wad due to lack of care for the character
B: You will realize you need to create tons of sprites to make this character and not bother/not finish
C: It wont be accepted by judges due to being a recolor
D: Even when finished, rarely will anyone play it.

Why can I predict this? Because it is the fate of many, many, MANY fancharacters of this day and age. It is inevitable. If you can prove me otherwise, than I will be quite surprised.

Why do have be such a put down? Not everyone wants to go make a Shadow, Silver, Vector, etc.WAD. What you need to understand is thet almost all the REAL sonic characters, have been done.

But the reason why those were made and played int he first palce is because they're official characters, so at least SOME people cares about them. But who gives a crap about ANOTHER differently colored Knuckles with very few defining features (some taken from OTHER characters, even)?

So the only thing left for new WADers to do is make Fan characters, as long as its not just Sonic with glasses, or a one Tailed Tailes I see no problem with creating a new Character.

I do when it's unoriginal and brings nothing new to the table. We have several D-Jump characters, and this fancharacter design is just not interesting. He isn't bringing anything new to the table here. I have no reason to play as him, and neither do many many others, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I've told you guys on KOTE's character topic, but you won't listen. Echidnas are unoriginal because everyone make's em... And hedgehogs.
I said it once and I'll say it again.
WE
NEED
A
LION!
:D

"Lion"

I'm sorry what.

Also
I checked all the FC wads here
And there are 3 hedgehogs, 2 Foxes (to-be), 2 Echidnas (counting mine), and 2 or 3 cats.

Am I supposed to be more orignal here? Because I can be. As I said before, I haven't even finished 50 percent with this character, so you can expect differences. I mean seriously, you set your standards to high. "Be more original". You've seen 3 of the sprites. Have you even went into consideration that there might be changes, or even a new character completely? Wait until I have time to gain ideas, then you can critiscise me for being un-original.
How in the world would I make a lion anyways

And that's the reason for criticism. To let help you improve your character. We can't say anything about your project except what you have shown so far, so of course we're going to have to talk about what's there now.

557690-M.jpg

See this? This is a book FILLED with different kinds of animals. A lot more than Hedgehogs, foxes, and echidnas. Take a look and see what wonderful things you find.

And that's just the MAMMALS!

And that's the reason for criticism. To let help you improve your character. We can't say anything about your project except what you have shown so far, so of course we're going to have to talk about what's there now.
Good point. Maybe I should start focusing on finishing as quickly as possible (I don't mean I'll rush the sprites, I still take a lot of pride in how it looks). Currently I'm testing spring abilities, like gaining altitude equal to that of a yellow spring, but it isn't final.

I checked all the FC wads here
And there are 3 hedgehogs, 2 Foxes (to-be), 2 Echidnas (counting mine), and 2 or 3 cats.

I count 3 hedgehogs (by the same person), 3 foxes (by another person), an echidna, a cat, and 8-10 in-progress projects that wont be done. Ever. The first 3 hedgehogs... I dont know how they got in (aparently, this wad was ported across many SRB2 versions, so it's probably a legacy thing), 3 foxes were all renders of 3D objects, but then again, they were made via furry doll maker (at least one of them, anyways), KOTE has some art skill, but I dislike his character's design anyway, but I can see how that's acceptable, and the cat was also scratch and well made, but still feels a lot like Blaze.

As for the other 8-10 projects, face it, they're NEVER getting done. they're gonna get stuck in editing forever. Such is the way it is.

Characters rarely go anywhere. I've seen many incomplete characters, even a few incomplete "demo" wads of characters that were never finished, and never will. Some were unoriginal fancharacters, some were other characters in the Sonic series (Cosmo, Honey, and I swear there was one more), but they all met the same fate: lack of care or effort (the aforementioned Cosmo and Honey? Both awful). They were left, unwanted, and unneeded. This will probably end up the same way, I'm sure.

Why? Well, I pretty much detailed all of that in my previous post; the character in question is boring and unoriginal. You probably wont change this; saying things and doing them are two different things.

"You probably wont change this; saying things and doing them are two different things. "

The fact that both 1. KO.T.E. apparently is working to make it less "recolour-ish", and 2. I've been working on it as well, prove this statement wrong. If the character doesn't get finished, so sue me. If he does, then don't play as him.

Also, I thought I would just bring this up, to clear any thoughts of these being literal Knuckles recolours, most of the sprites being made are either from scratch or based on an already-made sprite. I have not used Knuckles sprites at all (I used Sonic sprites as references).

"You probably wont change this; saying things and doing them are two different things. "

The fact that both 1. KO.T.E. apparently is working to make it less "recolour-ish", and 2. I've been working on it as well, prove this statement wrong. If the character doesn't get finished, so sue me. If he does, then don't play as him.

"If you don't like it, don't use it" Is, has been, and always will be a lousy comeback for anything. That's like saying "I pooped on the floor! if you don't like it, don't step in it!" At the end of the day, there's still shit sitting there, and it's still your fault.

Also, I thought I would just bring this up, to clear any thoughts of these being literal Knuckles recolours, most of the sprites being made are either from scratch or based on an already-made sprite. I have not used Knuckles sprites at all (I used Sonic sprites as references).

Literal Recolor =/= Not a recolor

The design still reeks of unoriginality and blandness. The ability you were proposing is also unoriginal, as it's just a different kind of double jump. Hell, even Super Mystic Sonic, one of THE most unoriginal character made into a wad I've ever seen, was custom spirited but still a recolor, and an AWFUL one at that, and the "placeholder" SMS used, you guessed it, a spring ability. While this recolor may not be "so bright he doesent need shading", he's still completely uninteresting in any way.

Well then that's too bad. I'll just not release this wad to public. It's not like I'm trying my hardest on this or anything, I don't mind keeping it private. It's not really a big deal. I'm not even sure why I made this topic in the first place. Anyways, I guess this will be a private release.

"If you don't like it, don't use it" Is, has been, and always will be a lousy comeback for anything. That's like saying "I pooped on the floor! if you don't like it, don't step in it!" At the end of the day, there's still shit sitting there, and it's still your fault..
Not really, you can't ignor shit on the floor, due to the smell and the fact that you have to walk around it, but you can COMPLETELY ignor a wad that is in your opinion, bad. :p And ThunderNova, don't let D00D64's words keep you from releasing this, if its too much of a recolor or something then the judges will make the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back