Version 2.0.7 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if people were to find another way to hack Srb2, you guys would update again?

Logically if or maybe some other time, I still I can hack it but not because it is a game so easy and not worth hacking.

If they hack into your server only using the "ban" and you're free of them for awhile.

So if people were to find another way to hack Srb2, you guys would update again?

According to the SRB2-Wiki: "A 2.0.8 patch release is not planned unless a critical bug is found that needs immediate fixing."
So I would say yes.

There's always a way to hack SRB2. Hell, the source is included right in the download; an actual hacker (not a script kiddie) would have no trouble getting exactly what they needed from it. A new version will be released only if there is a critical bug, like the fixed bug for this version had. Idk if you perhaps missed this on the "Netbombing" thread, but the reason the DoS attacks took down SRB2 was because of a horrendous bug in SRB2 itself. If someone makes a hack that, like, allows them to teleport or moonwalk or something stupid, the dev's couldn't do much about this, and so you'd just have to kick this person every time.

Actually, besides DoS, "hacking" online servers is basically impossible with the current netcode itself. Making any new movement via custom exe would cause an immidiete consistency failiure for the user, as the netcode works via button presses and not positions.

There is no way to bypass this natural cause and effect unless the netcode is entirely rewritten, even if you tried.

There are so many things wrong with your assumption that it's hard to even begin.

If a player edited SRB2's source code to change the player's abilities, and then they tried to play a game online, they'd get kicked for consistency failure. The server and client are constantly passing information back and forth to each other, and when the client tells the server information that conflicts with what the server sees, the server will try to fix it, and if it can't, kick the offending player. This is not to say that there aren't ways to edit the game's code in an attempt to cheat, but you can't edit the game rules themselves, because the server is checking for that.

And even if it didn't kick you for consistency failures through some improbable method, you'd be hilariously out of sync anyways. :y

Oh great a huge update for netgaming

if, it is not known if the pirates are being updated, is likely to be done on to 2.1.

If you really wanted to know.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

There are so many things wrong with your assumption that it's hard to even begin.

If a player edited SRB2's source code to change the player's abilities, and then they tried to play a game online, they'd get kicked for consistency failure. The server and client are constantly passing information back and forth to each other, and when the client tells the server information that conflicts with what the server sees, the server will try to fix it, and if it can't, kick the offending player. This is not to say that there aren't ways to edit the game's code in an attempt to cheat, but you can't edit the game rules themselves, because the server is checking for that.

There is the problem that it was a mistake to release the source code, so I see so many hackers.

One of the best mistakes the world to me.

Whether or not it is a mistake, STJR had to release the source code regardless, because SRB2's code falls under the GPLv2 license.

Even now if you came to understand, that hurts with this, but there must be some methods to stop these hackers, nobody can play well in the netgame.

Do not know who gave ideas to modify the SRB2 add bad things.

[...] but there must be some methods to stop these hackers [...]

As Mystic stated above, the bug that allowed hackers to mess with other people's games has been fixed. No need to fret now.

EDIT: Just downloaded the patch.

JqvwMkm.png

My biggest question is, how the heck did you knock 840Kb off the file size?

Last edited:
The filesize can vary pretty wildly based on how you compile it, and whether the win or sdl version is used. I don't really know any specifics, other than that the inclusion of some debugging settings can shoot the size up quite a bit.

As Mystic stated above, the bug that allowed hackers to mess with other people's games has been fixed. No need to fret now.

EDIT: Just downloaded the patch.

JqvwMkm.png

changes to post-build step, upx

This may not be a 2.1 release, but it's the next greatest thing. I was blaming WINE hitherto for SRB2 not generating screen captures accurately, but it appears that this was veritably caused by the diminished framerate in SRB2 itself as a consequence of executing non-native binaries. I'm glad too that the laser issues were resolved. There should (hopefully) be less consistency failures during the CEZ levels and some of the netplay levels with laser FOFs with this 2.0.7 revision.

I seem to remember SRB2 on WINE -- or was it SRB2 with OpenGL? -- having problems with screenshots in any case. By the way, WINE's speed should be comparable and sometimes even better than natively running on Windows.

Funny how we waited longer for a patch than for 2.0, isn't it? =P

Great to see there's even a patch after all this time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back