View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009   #57
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Gothic Gardens Zone, Act 1 by VX501 - 3/10

I'm not sure where the "gardens" part fits in here. Actually, I'm not even very sure what this level is supposed to be.

This level is playable, and it has no errors or anything, contains gimmicks, but that's basically where the positives end. There was no effort put into the aesthetics of this level, and as far as gameplay goes, there's an incredible lack of polish overall. Some parts need rings, the place is screaming Death Pit Zone, Tails destroys the level design, terrible intro to the 2D section, terrible outro from the 2D section. There's a lot of ideas in here, and all of them are executed in a pretty half-assed fashion. Spend more time on this next time.

Graceful Coast Zone by D00D64 - 4/10

Unclear in direction, and rather poor enemy placement. "Dammit, buzzer. How does this zoomtube work? Why did I just jump back to a previous part of the level? Am I supposed to go up these geysers? How am I supposed to make the jump I can't see when that geyser isn't in sync with this one? Dammit, jettysyn." The result of this confusion is a time over. I think you already know most of what's wrong with this level, though, so I won't go on about it.

The music is quite well-executed. The aesthetics work well, but are a bit lacking it seems. Put more emphasis on sector-based scenery, especially for 2D levels. Other than that, I think that's all that needs to be said. This level was obviously a fluke, but I've played worse.

Refurbished Gadgetry Zone by SonicMaster - 6/10

I'd like to apologize first off that I didn't bother to complete this level. This was the last level I bothered to try out in the contest, and I was too tired/bored since it was midnight and I probably won't bother to go back to play any of these in the future.

From what I have played, though, it seems pretty average. The gravity switching was a creative way of executing nonlinearity, and while upside-down platforming is problematic in third person, your use of aesthetics near death pit helped keep it from being frustrating. Full of gimmicks like most levels I've played from you, but I didn't really feel any sort of adrenaline or anything while playing this. I dunno. I guess I'd have to play further to give you any better feedback.

Magma Core Zone, Act 2 by Blade - 7/10

Imperfect, but respectable. The problem I'm seeing here is a lot of the same flamethrower gimmick that just isn't being used quite to its fullest potential, as others have said. As usual, it's nice to see that fire turret enemy around and OH MY GOD IS THAT THING FLYING AT ME oh wait I can just ignore it. Yeah, the flying flame thrower needs fire that spews faster. It's slow to the point where I just assumed the thing had explosive beans. I'm actually really impressed at the cinematics executed at the beginning and midlevel, perhaps just because I haven't seen any other level use it yet. Cool, anyway.

And uh, just so you know, you can use my remastered version of the song for your zone if you want to. I mean, since it sounds closer to the kind of sound you'd expect from SRB2, I imagine it'd benefit the maps.

And that's it for me. To be honest, I wasn't really quite in the mood to give reviews this time around, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Not as solid as the last few SP divisions, but hey, that's kind of to be expected with the new version and all. I'm sure we'll have better results as people gain more experience toying with the features of 2.0.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff