Quicksand, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
Alright, so I'm using quicksand at the moment in a rather wierd way: I've got level above the quicksand, and I've got level below the quicksand. The quicksand is supposed to help the player transition between the two areas. However, there's a bit of a problem:

Your camera can't pass through quicksand.

While I know this was intended for levels like Golden Sands that feature it above a particularly ugly death pit that nobody wants to be looking at, using it differently is breaking the rules a bit.

So I've tried a few things, namely cut away view. The two major problems are that first, you're not always in view. Second, the control scheme screws up for both normal behind the back AND analog. It would be so much easier if SRB2 could just reset the camera with a script, but I don't think that's possible. thoughts?

Actually, before we had the reset camera button, the C button would just activate a script. What I think it did was move the camera in closer and closer, then move it back out until it is back at the normal distance. Just use a linedef executor and lots of cam_dist console commands in a script.

Wow. That actually worked. Thanks.

*delete and repost*

Erm, in theory it works. The camera can pass through quicksand with a cam_dist of 0, but the script run by the game is giving me problems. The game keeps crashing due to "overflow 11" or something whenever the script runs. If it matters, it was a 3D area with a height of 16 running an "Each Time" executor.

BlueZero4 said:
Wow. That actually worked. Thanks.

*delete and repost*

Erm, in theory it works. The camera can pass through quicksand with a cam_dist of 0, but the script run by the game is giving me problems. The game keeps crashing due to "overflow 11" or something whenever the script runs. If it matters, it was a 3D area with a height of 16 running an "Each Time" executor.

Try putting chasecam 0 and then chasecam 1 in the script. That may work, I guess.

Sorry, it STILL crashes, just after a while of standing in the executor. The error message is still "overflow 1", if it matters.

What's executing the script is a short 3D Block above the quicksand. And also, I AM using the wait command. I think that just delays the crashing.

If it's a single player level, make the script, and use it on an invisible intangible FOF directly under the quicksand, and make it execute ONCE. If you want it to have multiplayer ability, try each time. If that doesn't work, make it wait about the time it takes to recover from a hit by a ring, and make the invisible intangible FOF fairly thin, so you can't execute it multiple times by jumping or falling through it.

Code:
CHASECAM OFF
or
Code:
WAIT "until 1.1 comes out"
should work.

If you decide to do chasecam, make sure to turn it back on once you're out of the quicksand.

I've pretty much given up hope right now for using quicksand. I'm just opting out for intangible opaque FOFs that look like quicksand.

Which sucks. D=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back