[Open Assets] SRB2 Encore

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirkTheHusky

Team Kinetic RPG
LOGO.png

Presenting SRB2 Encore! This little level pack basically puts the main maps in SRB2's main campaign into a re-creation of Sonic Mania's Encore mode! With many level areas that have been changed and a different life counter system to make your adventure different. During your adventure, many exclusive monitors will appear in random spots that will help you on your way.

Encore exclusive monitors:
Character monitor - Gives you a new character that will be added to your new life counter. This becomes a random monitor that is listed below when all the characters are collected. (This turns into a extra life monitor when the Encore system is off.)

Swap monitor - Switches your current character with the one that comes on the far left next to the life counter. (This turns into an item monitor at random when the Encore system is off.)

Random monitor - Changes your characters randomly, including the incoming ones. (This turns into a random monitor [The ones you see in Competition] when Encore is off.)

Once you have 2 characters in possession, you can switch between characters anytime by pressing the "Toss flag" key.

Features to SRB2 Encore:
• Encore maps are in the different map slots instead of replacing the main levels.

• Encore maps have SRB2's main maps edited with different rooms changed and each level (or sometimes the entire zone) having a different colormap.

• Many routes (especially Knuckles') have a different way of progression, even with custom character addons you can still get through them.

• SRB2's main maps still uses its normal gameplay while encore maps uses its encore gameplay.

• Encore system is disabled while the encore maps are in race and competition gametype.

• Encore monitors are replaced by SRB2's main monitor items at random when the maps are being played in race and competition.

• No custom textures/flats (Not just yet at least :P)

• Emerald tokens have been moved to different areas. Some may be easy to find while some of them are in hidden, but clever areas. Are you eager enough to find them all?

NEW COMMAND! Encore - This enables between SRB2 and Encore modes. This means you can play through the encore maps with SRB2's main game system. This command is set on by default.

NEW COMMAND! EncoreMaps - This enables which map to start on. In case players want to play the encore maps through a save slot or a no game save if they don't have level select unlocked or then would like to play alone. This command is set to off by default

NOTICE: Resetting the map after changing your gamma (game brightness) may cause the colormap to change as well. Highly recommend that you don't change your brightness at all while playing these maps, or some rooms in some of the zones (Ex: CEZ2E) may be very hard to navigate through!

Demostration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-zhdoc9LQ

Changelog
- Version 1.2.1 (10/10/18)

• Tweaked the gargoyle path in DSZ1E

- Version 1.2 (10/9/18)

• Fixed an issue where the encore monitors don't re-appear after toggling encore off and on

• Character monitors now play a SFX after breaking them open and receiving a character from it

• Fixed a bug where bots don't move when Encore is off

• Blendcolor and Specialcolor is now 100% supported

• Super icons now appear whenever players go super

• All characters can now go super exclusively in encore mode.

• Fixed a crashed with the laser machine in ERZ2E

• Greenflower Encore now takes place at night

• Techno Hill Act 1 Encore now takes place at dawn, like THZ2E

- Version 1.1 (10/6/18)

•Added 2 new commands!
• Encore: Switch between SRB2 and Encore modes! SRB2 mode is forced on whenever the encore maps are being played on Race and Competition gametype.
• EncoreMaps: Switches between SRB2's main maps and the encore maps. Even when you're playing on a save slot or a no save game!

•Bug fixes:
• Fixed a bug where players get their rings back when they get him when a bot is in the game. (When you select Sonic & Tails through character select)
• Bring back extra life monitors in main maps in race gametype.
• Made the swing chain tower in CEZ2E easier.
• Because Inazuma got released, his specialcolor for his life counter now supports all resolutions. This also applies to Blendcolor.lua

- Version 1.0 (10/2/18)

• Initial release

Credits:
Coding:
Tripel - Original lua script from Plus.wad
Jimita - Edit of lua, with Tripel's permission

Map Assistance:
White- Techno Hill Encore colormaps
Mill - Red Volcano Encore slight edits

And those that are on discord for helping me test these maps out and keeping in eye out for some bugs that needs patching. Which I will be keeping a close eye on just in case (Especially with Egg Rock Encore)

Have fun!

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    111 KB · Views: 2,282
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    192 KB · Views: 1,780
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,653
  • srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,431
  • srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,464
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 1,479
  • Encore.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 6,525
Last edited:
You did an amazing job at keeping the spirit of how Mania handled their Encore mode.

Welcome to Releases!

That was nuts. I absolutely loved this pack and definitely feel that it's better than Mania Encore itself.

I love that the edited level design actually makes SRB2 harder. Encore CEZ, RVZ, and ERZ was absolutely nuts in terms of difficulty.

The level design actually made me anxious that no other challenge level made me feel before, ESPECIALLY during Encore ERZ, where it was DO or DIE, no exceptions.

I also thought on how a few edits were actually really clever and enjoyable, and the kind of secrets you can find that challenges your familiarity is astounding.

Overall, I loved this pack, would definitely recommend

Yes, the only way you can access these maps is through Multiplayer and through Level Select, once you get all the emblems in the game. This isn't a mod that changes the game's gamedata, it just adds in the levels and puts them in its own map slots. If I could do something that would choose your adventure through the save data and the no save option, I would. But I don't know, we'll see how things pan out from here.

I liked this Level pack so much, and liked how does every colormaps setted like and maps design, too. Congratulations!

I'm gonna be a hundred percent honest here, this had the same effect on me as Sonic Mania's encore had: it just left me like "meh".

My main problem with this is that this entire thing consists in very subtle random changes that make the original map harder to navigate through by forcing you into other existing paths, rather than forcing you to explore anything new. My reaction to most of the changes were. "Oh, this path is unconveniently blocked, I have to take the way around." rather than "Oh, that's a new path that leads somewhere!".

I feel like most of the changes take away from the original level, with the few exceptions (eg: ERZ2) only leading to bonuses and being very easily missable, instead of adding to it or changing it in a meaningful way.

The colormaps are sometimes nice, sometimes horribly suited to the level. Can you even make out the goop from the walls???? but overall feel more like a band-aid to have it look different enough (very much like Mania, though unlike Mania there are no harder special stages to look forward to, also let's be real, GFZ at sunset was the worst decision you could make originality-wise :P)
Though honestly I'd advise going for palette swaps so that openGL doesn't instantly become horrible to look at.

Overall, I don't dislike it, it just left me totally indifferent for the most part, and I'd really love to see this with more clever level design changes that go beyond blocking paths and shortcuts just for the sake of it. But I know how motivation goes so I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to do such big changes to every map of the game.

Mod updated to Version 1.1

Version 1.1

•Added 2 new commands!
• Encore: Switch between SRB2 and Encore modes! SRB2 mode is forced on whenever the encore maps are being played on Race and Competition gametype.
• EncoreMaps: Switches between SRB2's main maps and the encore maps. Even when you're playing on a save slot or a no save game!

•Bug fixes:
• Fixed a bug where players get their rings back when they get him when a bot is in the game. (When you select Sonic & Tails through character select)
• Bring back extra life monitors in main maps in race gametype.
• Made the swing chain tower in CEZ2E easier.
• Because Inazuma got released, his specialcolor for his life counter now supports all resolutions. This also applies to Blendcolor.lua

Last edited:
I found a problem with the EncoreMaps command. When you wanna go somewhere else from the main menu, you get some sort of error. You are forced to go to the original variation of a vanilla map and when you want to turn on the EncoreMaps command again, it doesn't work until you turn it off then on again. That's a bit weird.

Can't catch a break from updating this often, but here's the version 1.2.0 update

Version 1.2

• Fixed an issue where the encore monitors don't re-appear after toggling encore off and on

• Character monitors now play a SFX after breaking them open and receiving a character from it

• Fixed a bug where bots don't move when Encore is off

• Blendcolor and Specialcolor is now 100% supported

• Super icons now appear whenever players go super

• All characters can now go super exclusively in encore mode

• Fixed a crashed with the laser machine in ERZ2E

• Greenflower Encore now takes place at night

• Techno Hill Act 1 Encore now takes place at dawn, like THZ2E

When I do encoremaps on the game asks me to redo this in-game to work then it does nothing. Every time I want to play the encore maps I have to manually do mapxx.

That being said, the maps themselves are great and work well with the Encore mechanics, I had a blast playing them! Greenflower nighttime is beautiful...

Custom maps with Encore support? 👀

Attachments

• srb20219.png
    srb20219.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 744
I think there should definitely be more Character Monitors in ACZ, RVZ and especially ERZ - there's a stunning shortage that turns Encore mode into a "1 life run"

I would love to try this, but...
! C:\Users\NV53\Desktop\SRB2\Encore.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
Edit: The archive is empty... Whoops! I hope you can try to get that fixed...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back