Unlocking more Zones in a HUB map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
I have been thinking about making a HUB level where, depending on how far you have gotten through the game (as in, the player(s) have cleared one or more Boss Acts) determines which Zones are unlocked. I already have a portal system of sorts sorted - in that each gateway has a custom exit to where each of the Zones would start - and I do have all of them, barring the ones unlocked from the start, closed such that the player can't enter them, but the question is, how can I make it so that, even in netgames or DEVMODE, completing each boss Act adds something like a Boss Emblem for the save file which unlocks new Zones depending on how many you have?

Edit: And, just FYI, I do not want other Emblems (or even ones obtained in other saves) to affect it if possible - I would want it where if you start from the beginning, only the ones unlocked at the start are accessible, and only the number of Boss Emblems are counted, and all others are discounted.

Last edited:
At best, you can detect how many emblems in total a player has, or keep track of some stats in the same session, but you can't detect specific emblems (I think?) nor save any extra data in save files (with vanilla SRB2 functions).

So does the game track any other secret-useful stats besides emeralds and emblems? Can't we make our own?

You could make your own, but the game won't save them, so unless your mod is designed to be played in a single sitting (which most hub world things aren't) then it's best to use emblems, clunky as it is.

You could make your own, but the game won't save them, so unless your mod is designed to be played in a single sitting (which most hub world things aren't) then it's best to use emblems, clunky as it is.

I see... Well, I think I know how I'd do it - there would be Emblems obtained the first time a Boss Act is cleared, and while there will be Record/NiGHTS Attack modes, they are not unlocked until at least all the Zones have been unlocked. It's the closest that I can do to sorting this out, after all.

True, it means when starting again, you can play ANY of the Zones in any order - rather than the first time, where the Zones are unlocked in order - but that seems to be the only way forwards.

You could probably do something using in/out stuff (which is not available in vanilla SRB2, but is in for example SRB2PlusC) and making something with Lua that checks variables (that you would save when clearing a boss or such), and opens doors or such when the variables say a boss has been cleared. I'm not sure how that synchronizes with other players online, though. According to SRB2PlusC's release's page, it might not work well online. Keep that in mind.

But I'd like to say that my biggest problem with SUGOI has been that the doors start off locked in multiplayer. (Especially since rebooting SRB2 makes them re-lock and have to be re-unlocked, but even just having a one-time lock is somewhat annoying to me.) So all I can ask is that you consider deeply whether you want to do this "lock zones until later" stuff. I'm personally fine with it in singleplayer, of course, but I personally despise it in multiplayer.

Last edited:
I thought I saw a WIP save game hook from way back, sometime while 2.1 was still on a patch spree

Regardless of it was a thing or if my brain's just making stuff up, I can't describe how much I would use that if it existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back