Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch - SGC demo now released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaS3K

NEVAR FORGET
Since SGC is coming up I might as well post this.

CutStuff said:

What is it?

Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch is a new multiplayer game that aims to take Mega Man’s 8-bit style gameplay and turn it into an online multiplayer first person shooter. Everything you know and love from the classic series will appear in lovely 3d with 8-bit textures and sprites. You will be able to pick from any of your favourite Robot Masters from Mega Man 1 through 6, as well as find and use their weapons scattered around levels. With it’s intense battles, unique style, various game modes and huge amount of weapons and levels, MM8BDM is sure to please Mega Man and old school FPS fans alike. This is no fancy art project! Get your Mega Busters ready, this Skulltag powered mod is coming 2010!

Can't wait? There will be a special demo at the LAN room of the ScrewAttack Game Convention.

EDIT: CutManMike has officially released the SGC demo. Instructions for joining/hosting are posted here. It's also available on wadhost.fathax, but it needs an alpha version of Skulltag so you can't just let GetWAD do the work.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm already a member at the site since I found a trailer of it the day Bobinator showed us the 8 bit version of MM8. So far the screens of the game itself are looking good but the textures are going under some revisions to look more easy one the eyes.

Besides that, they're finishing some of the skins too.

Besides that, they're finishing some of the skins too.

Well, let's look at their recent progress.

2re645c.png

The ones in dark red are unfinished. Green means it's in, and orange means it needs a touchup. For you non-hardcore nerds, it means that they need Heat Man, Wind Man, Punk, and Dark Man 4. Gravity Man was done(literally) this morning.

There is no Galaxy Man. I am dissapoint.

Well don't expect anything beyond MM 6 until later on. However, there are sprites being worked on both MM 9 & 10 RMs (Robot Masters) as we speak from the community. So if I guessed correctly, they will probably be custom skin wads .

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is about this wad. I mean it looks like just another TC to me.

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is about this mod. I mean it looks like just another TC to me.

fixed...

Doesn't have to be a big deal. A game is a game. So long as it has some sort of entertaining aspect to keep me playing hours on end then it's obviously worth the wait.

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is about this wad. I mean it looks like just another TC to me.
fixed...
Doesn't have to be a big deal. A game is a game. So long as it has some sort of entertaining aspect to keep me playing hours on end then it's obviously worth the wait.
Fix'd again. It's still a wad, I'm not sure why you put mod there in the first place. I don't see what the big deal is either, it's just another multiplayer mod with custom weapons. :P

Probably why I said it was a mod is because it was a complete conversion of the doom content turned into MM form? Pardon me if I don't know the difference between a wad and a mod here, but yes your right, it is an actual wad -shrug-

Anyway as I said... There is no real hype unless your that type of fan thats into this kind of stuff being in this format (I'm a different story but this ain't about me now is it?). Honestly I just want to see how well Cutman Mike created the RM stages to look reminiscent to the original, but in a 3D perspective in actual gameplay than just screens. Apparently he mentioned they will acted the same way as their 2D counterparts which is more interesting than the gameplay itself in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, not all mods are WADs, and not all WADs are mods. Confused yet?

WAD generally means a patch to a complete game, and mod means a major addition or change to a complete game. MM8BDM is a freestanding game that only needs Skulltag to run.

Last edited:
I usually consider wads to require existing content and mods to have all original content. Things like Action Doom 2 and Foreverhood I call mods and projects which used ripped resources like Megaman Doom I call wads. Of course there's a chance he made all the resources himself so who knows.

Last edited:
Well don't expect anything beyond MM 6 until later on. However, there are sprites being worked on both MM 9 & 10 RMs (Robot Masters) as we speak from the community. So if I guessed correctly, they will probably be custom skin wads .

how about 8bit versions of 7, 8, and bass

how about 8bit versions of 7, 8, and bass

Other RMs over 6 will most possibly be done by the community (I've seen a Jewel Man already in progress by one member so far, as well as Cloud Man and Commando Man). Mike mention he MAY either make sprites of the other RMs but since the community is contributuing, it's less work for him. But besides character skins, the stages take up most of the work so I think the better question is if he will make stages beyond MM 6. My only answer is that it's highly possible...

Also... *cough*LookAtTheChartsMetalPostedInThisTopicOrTheSite*cough*

Last edited:
Double bump: Everybody was too grateful(or scared) to leak the SGC demo, so Mr.Cutman decided to leak it himself.

CutManMike said:
I'm surprised everyone has been this honest (or scared!) and not leaked it. Seems people haven't had enough Mega Man though so I guess I'll have to do the "leaking" myself:

http://underground.bananachan.net/SGC/MM8BDM-SGC8.zip

Instructions for new comers:

1) Unzip the package into a folder.
2) Run MM8BDM.exe.
3) First click singleplayer.
4) If your laptop has OpenGL problems it won't load correctly. Don't panic. Hit alt + F4 and do steps 1-3 but this time hit the checkbox for "Use open GL?" to disable it.
5) Hit Esc on the title screen and set up your controls via Options > Customize Controls.
6) While you're here, go to Player Setup also in options to change your name and appearance!
7) Quit the game to save your settings.
8) Finally run the launcher again. Type in the Host IP Address or name and hit join.

The host name as posted above is "namerehwon.no-ip.info" courtesy of Nam-Ereh-Won

I'll probably make an official post about this soon. As for everyone else, thanks for the kind words! Keep on Mega Bustin'
icon_e_biggrin.gif

I may have had some role in this, I was bugging him with emails about officially releasing it now that SGC is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back