View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013   #4
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

All right, I'm gonna come out of my lengthy hiatus from activity in the SRB2 community to talk about this, because it's a lovely, promising start to a level pack that's a little rough around the edges.

First, the good. You do a lot with a little. That's really the hallmark of someone who is on their way to becoming a great level designer...being able to take minimal, muted theming--1.09.4 visuals, as it were--and building a great experience through the actual setup of the level. The levels are not gimmicky but they're solid, like Mystic Realm. And they still manage to be pretty too.

Now, let's discuss where the levels need improvement. To begin with, they're just a tad cramped. Not significantly so, but they are still built for hopping more than for speed. Also, the path layout can be quite confusing at times, especially at the end of Act 2...I went around in circles for a minute before I realized the exit was tucked off to the side. And as a minor cosmetic complaint, near the beginning of Act 2, the thok barrier visually cuts off a large swathe of the level with a wall of sky. That's a common thing--some of the official SRB2 levels do that--but I personally hate the way that looks and try to avoid in whenever I can in my own levels.

Lastly, this is solely my opinion, but I've never thought there's a need for graphics display changes in SRB2. The vanilla style is delightful and recalls the original Sonic games; these alterations bring it more in line with the less enjoyable modern Sonic franchise. The best level packs out there don't try to step away from the style of SRB2...they embrace it and use it for something novel. Again, just my opinion though.

Keep at it, I want to see more.