Suggestions

That's a good idea, but for a WAD. SRB2's point is to capture the essence of Classic Sonic's era, platforming, mind-bending speed, FUN. The survivavility mode would fit more in games like CoD, DOOM, and that kind of shooters. Chaos mode was truly fun (at least for me) but it was cut from the game because... I dont know, peanuts?
Either way, it's still a fun idea.

I'm certain the answer will be no. Chaos mode didn't work for several reasons, and I'm certain adding those things into the mix won't make it any better.

That WAS the fun part about Chaos Mode, It's broken spawning structure, that's why i pitched the idea. Also, what is everyone's damage about about implementing things for the sake of classic nostalgia?

...Okay, am I the only who actually read the wiki about the Chaos gametype? "The gametype was eventually disabled in Final Demo 1.09 due to poor reputation, but can be enabled by compiling the source code with the CHAOSISNOTDEADYET symbol defined." Though I have no idea what that means, nor if that can still be done in 2.1.

Last edited:
just the fact that it requires compiling the source code means we will be too lazy to do it
there is also an old tale that 3 out of the 5 people who looked at the source code killed themselves. I'd like to avoid this fate.

On a serious note, has an unlockable character ever been considered? I know, sounds crazy with how long it took us to get a good Knuckles, but- consider the following: Metal Sonic. He's already done for you, already in the game, and his play style isn't so wildly different that levels need to accommodate him. In fact, he is like a Hard Mode Sonic, in a way. Food for thought.

just the fact that it requires compiling the source code means we will be too lazy to do it
there is also an old tale that 3 out of the 5 people who looked at the source code killed themselves. I'd like to avoid this fate.

On a serious note, has an unlockable character ever been considered? I know, sounds crazy with how long it took us to get a good Knuckles, but- consider the following: Metal Sonic. He's already done for you, already in the game, and his play style isn't so wildly different that levels need to accommodate him. In fact, he is like a Hard Mode Sonic, in a way. Food for thought.

For what it's worth, I think that in the future we should consider a fourth character for the sake of multiplayer variety.

But then again, it's better to have the main trio so people that join servers without that fourth character don't get spoiled of all the fun to be had, and it wouldn't be fair for those if they can't complete the game.

I got 1 more suggestion:

A real tutorial level. We all know that GFZ1 tries to act like a tutorial stage but it's not that good. The level can be accesed from the single player menu, between start game and record attack and it should be called "tutorial level". After you select the character, you are instantly spawn to a short level with diffrent textures and explains to the player how to use things such as shields, tokens, slime, avoiding lava and bottomless pits, etc. It should contain only one emblem which is gotten directly from the level. Everything should be explained in a box in the upper right corner. If this level is made and ACZ and RVZ are finished, there will be exactly 200 emblems: 16 from both second acts of the zones, 8 more from the third hyper stage and 2 more from the bosses of the zones. That means 26 emblems. 160+26=186 so it remains 14 free emblems and 3 super levels. There should be 3 emblems for each ( because they are super) and that means 12 emblems. That means 198 emblems. Another one is an extra emblem for completing all hyper and super levels and the last one is the one from the tutorial level, which adds up to exactly 200.

Last edited:
I really don't think things like rings, bottomless pits, slime, etc. need to be explained. They're all pretty self-evident. The only thing I think might need clearer explaining is shield abilities, but for that it would be much easier to simply display text the first time you get a shield: "Press Spin while in the air to activate this shield's special ability!" A tutorial level isn't necessary.

On another note, the Super Levels will have eight emblems each, not three. They're just like any other stage.

I really don't think things like rings, bottomless pits, slime, etc. need to be explained. They're all pretty self-evident. The only thing I think might need clearer explaining is shield abilities, but for that it would be much easier to simply display text the first time you get a shield: "Press Spin while in the air to activate this shield's special ability!" A tutorial level isn't necessary.

On another note, the Super Levels will have eight emblems each, not three. They're just like any other stage.
Well at most, there should be a hint system that tells you how each feature works the first time you encounter it. It makes new players at least know what it is and what it does instead of posting fake bugs like: "The water in techno hill zone doesn't hurt me anymore wtf?"

While I don't object to the concept of adding unlockable characters, the problem is that they need to have a real purpose instead of just being there for the sake of being there. I've been trying to get more differentiation between Tails and Knuckles in SRB2, and adding in a fourth character would make giving them all a purpose even harder.

Simply put, Metal Sonic--the way Blade has him done, that is--seems like he'd be absolutely perfect for speedrunning. I don't know if that alone is a good enough reason to add someone like him though.

Apples and oranges, friend. ...rotating flats is just a basic part of the renderer.

True. But, IIRC from the Doom wiki, sprite-drawing and wall-drawing use very similar functions, correct? Thus the same column-based graphics format and whatnot? The possibility for texture scaling is there, if that that is true, even if wading through the code makes it impractical (in which case I will not push for it).

Also, 2nding Metal Sonic as an unlockable, for the speedrunning reason and because it'd be fun to have a "different" Sonic built-in to try the levels with/collect emblems with/etc. Plus, why would a "meaning" reason be necessary? Super Sonic breaks the levels; he has negative meaning except for "staying with the classics."

Super Sonic you get only after collecting all the emeralds, which of course takes effort!

Besides which, we'd have to code in the special effects for Metal Sonic even if we did include him - we can't have Lua scripting used in vanilla SRB2, it has to be all hardcoded.

Super Sonic's "meaning" is to function as a reward for collecting all the emeralds as Sonic, the hardest character in the game to use.

But that's not "meaning" in the way Mystic meant it. With that definition, Metal Sonic's "meaning" would be the same as any reward for effort. Mystic said that all the game's characters had a "meaning" as in they could do different things in the levels--

While I don't object to the concept of adding unlockable characters, the problem is that they need to have a real purpose instead of just being there for the sake of being there. I've been trying to get more differentiation between Tails and Knuckles in SRB2, and adding in a fourth character would make giving them all a purpose even harder.

Alright, I said "meaning" instead of "purpose," sorry. But the difference is superficial in this context.

Super Sonic breaks the levels in many ways, due to his speed, jump, and floating. He exists as a reward only because of the classic games--other than that he has no "purpose" or "meaning," at least that I can see. The argument for Metal Sonic is the same way--simply a reward for the player's hard work that changes the way the levels feel. As Super Sonic has no special things in the levels, neither would Metal.

Not everything has to have a purpose. Sometimes you can add something to a game just because it's fun.

EDIT: But if I had to expand on this, I'd say a good purpose is to give the player a decent reward for emblem collection. You're now asking players to collect 160 of these things and still have just about bupkis in terms of compensation.

But, IIRC from the Doom wiki, sprite-drawing and wall-drawing use very similar functions, correct? Thus the same column-based graphics format and whatnot? The possibility for texture scaling is there, if that that is true, even if wading through the code makes it impractical (in which case I will not push for it).
Sprites are two-dimensional images which get scaled two-dimensionally without any particular transformations. Texture drawing, on the other hand, has to skew and distort the textures in order to conform to perspective. I won't pretend I know anything about the implementation of these things, but I can tell that flat rotation and sprite scaling are basically things that already existed in the original rendering code, while arbitrarily scaling textures on a wall sounds like it would take a lot more elbow grease.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back