Rail Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are rail rings impossible to use for me, yet so easy to use by everyone else? I cannot seem to hit people that are not very far away while both of us are standing still while people have no issue hitting people when they are both using Sonic a full speed. I do not understand. It confuses me. I have tried and tried rails ever since I have gotten Srb2, but they are too difficult to use for me. Is it because my mouse? Or is it because my low resolution? Or something else? Please help, I am tired of being a n00b.

Last edited:
Its because its really small in terms of the size of the projectile, but is hitscan. You just need really good aim. And a mouse.

I know that. And I have a mouse. But, my mouse does not move in small increments. If I move my mouse a little bit to the left, it moves a lot. I am unsure how to describe, I hope you know what I mean.

If your problem is a lack of precision with the mouse as your post suggests, you could try changing the mouse speed and in the options.

However, the key factor in aiming well with the rail ring (or any weapon in SRB2 for that matter) is quite simple, practice.

Well when it comes to railing players in this game.

You have to have good aiming. Your aim can become good over time just by playing the game. Just like I did.

But then again you need to change your mouse speed if it going way to fast when it comes to rails.

Try the speed I use 13. On both sliders. It works fine and its not to slow or too fast.

Other then that. Just keep on trying and don't give up on railing.

I am not that bad at using rail rings. What you need is some good aim and some pratice. People that hit you almost everytime with rail rings, then they have probably mastered the rail ring. If you find that you just cant use the rail rings at all, then just stick to bomb rings and scatter rings!

First of all, do what Whackjood said and adjust the mouse speed in the Options menu until you're comfortable with it. Then, if you want practice, you can do it with some bots in SRB2CB, for example. Bots are really dumb and move in predictable ways (except Sonic bots maybe), so they make for some easy targets.

You just have to practice using them. To use Rail Rings, You totally need good aim. Anyone that uses rail rings had to practice at one point. In my opinion, Rail Rings are one of the hardest weapons there is to use.

Okay, thank you for the help. I will take everyone's advice. I will see how 13 goes Aries... And bots, well, I will have to try those out. And practice!

Rail Rings potentially have the biggest hit area, over long distances. I wouldn't be surprised with a lot of players, you can rack up a lot points. Especially Meadow Match. Another good rail point is the halls in Thunder Citadel. And finally the big open area in Desolate Twilight. Sometimes if you break the game down into bits and pieces it helps understand where the best places for weapons are. I just noted a few! But we could discuss the best places for certain weapons in another topic, since this is about rails.

When it comes to rails I am very limited considering that I'm stuck with a laptop. That and I literally use the directional and the strafe keys to move. Leaving little to almost no room for the rest of the keys making aiming with the mousepad pretty tough.

On a side note:
Rail Rings potentially have the biggest hit area, over long distances. I wouldn't be surprised with a lot of players, you can rack up a lot points. Especially Meadow Match. Another good rail point is the halls in Thunder Citadel. And finally the big open area in Desolate Twilight. Sometimes if you break the game down into bits and pieces it helps understand where the best places for weapons are. I just noted a few! But we could discuss the best places for certain weapons in another topic, since this is about rails.

Great idea Kitoko! *Heads off to make a topic.* :P

First of all, do what Whackjood said and adjust the mouse speed in the Options menu until you're comfortable with it. Then, if you want practice, you can do it with some bots in SRB2CB, for example. Bots are really dumb and move in predictable ways (except Sonic bots maybe), so they make for some easy targets.
Wait, CB as in Cineblast?

Also, since for me, using rails accurately are about as impossible as jumping over the moon... I think I may stick with every other weapon as they all are as easy as breathing... Personally, I would have never incorporated rail rings into Srb2, but that is just me. :P

Wait, CB as in Cineblast?
CB as in Community Build.

Also, since for me, using rails accurately are about as impossible as jumping over the moon... I think I may stick with every other weapon as they all are as easy as breathing...
Impatient, huh?

Personally, I would have never incorporated rail rings into Srb2, but that is just me. :P
Look, just because you can't operate them, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the game.

CB as in Community Build.

Impatient, huh?

Look, just because you can't operate them, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the game.

Oh, that new, cool looking thing?
Yes, very.
And I know, if they were never in the game, no one would be knowing what they would be missing. But I am not suggesting them to be taken out. Just me whining politely.

Oh, that new, cool looking thing?
Yes, very.
And I know, if they were never in the game, no one would be knowing what they would be missing. But I am not suggesting them to be taken out. Just me whining politely.

Yeah every shooter has one instant shot gun or weapon.

Like take goldeneye as example. That game has this thing called a taser gun. And if you aim at someone it will hit them right on the spot. No matter how far you are as well.

I will just have to deal with not being able to use rails... I will stick with every other weapon. Apparently, my reaction speed is not high enough to be good at video games at all...
I tried downloading CB, but it would not run. It would run the window, then it would close very quickly before anything would appear on screen.

I will just have to deal with not being able to use rails... I will stick with every other weapon. Apparently, my reaction speed is not high enough to be good at video games at all...
I tried downloading CB, but it would not run. It would run the window, then it would close very quickly before anything would appear on screen.

If you got a MD2.DAT File in your SRB2 folder. move it or delete it. And try opening it up again.

And beside that point. Anyone can use rails after playing the game for a while.
Just never give up or you wont learn at all.

Honestly, I think rail rings are an excuse for camping to make it's way into SRB2. It's basically why people are so lazy when it comes to sniping. Sniping takes no skill, and people always stick to the same techniques.

Honestly, I think rail rings are an excuse for camping to make it's way into SRB2. It's basically why people are so lazy when it comes to sniping. Sniping takes no skill, and people always stick to the same techniques.

Yes and half the time those campers aren't even good at railing. I've only known very few tails players who can camp on a high spot and rail accurately.

Sonic users also take a liking to rails. The most annoying thing that can happen is having a sonic user come straight at you and smack you with a rail. I hate that.

I don't personally hate the rail though. More than half the time I can strafe my way out of a rail being shot at me. Those players who try to predict your movements can be so gullible sometimes. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back