• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Playable Sonic by r543

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flashing destroys the shading. I already fixed Super Tails' palette:

ZSmMcY3.png

I'd like to be able to create more super palettes and select if they flash(for singleplayer), but it doesn't look like it's going to happen soon.

I reanimated the super animations(I have backups of the old ones) then created new sprites from it and conveted it to srb2.

Anyways, release time:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101906379/newunleashedtest.wad
First Test of it, it's called newunleashed because this one uses the 3d sprites.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190637/newuneashedupdate1.wad
First Update, now has better super frames and hit frames.

This isn't the final release or a real release, this is still in beta, no abilities are added yet so it's still a sonic clone.

The second link is broken, fix it pls

So ive noticed that the sprites are set to hires. is that going to be changed or stuck the same? when i transform into super, its kind of bugging to see a tiny sonic transformation.

So ive noticed that the sprites are set to hires. is that going to be changed or stuck the same? when i transform into super, its kind of bugging to see a tiny sonic transformation.
The Super Transform Sprites aren't done yet. I wasn't that happy with highresscale because 0.5 is too small(the current one) and 0.75 doesn't work, so I started to resize the sprites a bit. The quality of them went down by a lot, so I'll resprite every sprite for unleashedsonic.

so, this is essentially pre-rendered sonic. Like some donkey kong country style spriting? interesting...

The Super Transform Sprites aren't done yet. I wasn't that happy with highresscale because 0.5 is too small(the current one) and 0.75 doesn't work, so I started to resize the sprites a bit. The quality of them went down by a lot, so I'll resprite every sprite for unleashedsonic.

Wow that must suck, what ever happened to the sprites that were shown at the beginning of this thread?

so, this is essentially pre-rendered sonic. Like some donkey kong country style spriting? interesting...
Yes, the one in the .gif and in the beta are but that's probably going to change.

Wow that must suck, what ever happened to the sprites that were shown at the beginning of this thread?
I still have the original sprites, they are based on the 3d model too. That's how the new sprites are going to look like(with better shading and colors)

Last edited:
I don't have any more sprites related to this, no. I felt like just editing this sprite just so it would serve as a decent guide and base for the other sprites. Anybody who wants to help is free to use it.

hey R543, pm me about this. if you want i can help with the sprites.

Me too. I got you bro.

waawa.png

I'm known for feeling nice some days. Some days.

that sprite looks "sexy". but to be honest that looks really good do you have more?

I don't have any more sprites related to this, no. I felt like just editing this sprite just so it would serve as a decent guide and base for the other sprites. Anybody who wants to help is free to use it.

cool, thanks MotorRoach, now to sprite better based on these standards, haha.

i finished this just now:

nHpGllh.png

Sorry for not posting any updates, I wanted to post something some days ago but I didn't have the time for it.

I asked Motorroach for help and he made this nice sonic sprite:

waawa.png

Big thanks to him for creating that, it helped a lot.

Now I'm working on the new sprites, only the front and back of the idle frames are done:
eHsvPWV.png

Motorroach doesn't like the outlines on this one because they aren't that visible but I think it looks nice in game. Sonic is now using Motorroach's Blue and tan palette, the last color of the tan palette and the first 2 shades of blue got changed. I added an extra shade of blue to sonic so that the sprite isn't too dark.

I won't stop the 3d version of this. I tried to make sonic bigger but 0.75 was too big and that would've created problems with the thok/spin/spindash effects so I'm going to keep it at 0.5. At that scale sonic is a bit bigger than the default srb2 sonic.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with using two shades of the tan color. If you just go for peach, your sprite will lack contrast and probably depth as well, not to mention it will look out of style, and barely look different from the 3D model as well. Besides, the official Sonic did use some shades of tan, and there's no problem with doing that with your sprite either, specially since the game uses a limited palette and you have to pick from what looks aesthetically better. You need to stop worrying about the amount of colors you use, it's really getting in your way.

MotdSpork: That looks rather nice, I just think something needs to be done about the body. It looks really thick, and the belly looks oddly placed.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with using two shades of the tan color. If you just go for peach, your sprite will lack contrast and probably depth as well, not to mention it will look out of style, and barely look different from the 3D model as well. Besides, the official Sonic did use some shades of tan, and there's no problem with doing that with your sprite either, specially since the game uses a limited palette and you have to pick from what looks aesthetically better. You need to stop worrying about the amount of colors you use, it's really getting in your way.

MotdSpork: That looks rather nice, I just think something needs to be done about the body. It looks really thick, and the belly looks oddly placed.
I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to mix some palettes(tried to keep them from the same palette line so that color changing works), but your edit looked better so I'm using that palette now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back