Freedom Planet - Not a Sonic fangame. Really. I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember their first time through Chemical Plant Zone 2?

UUUUGGGHHHH, don't remind me.... ;_;

That super-tight platforming over a giant slime death pit hopping onto tiny little MOVING platforms...

And then being stuck in a stinking elevator shaft filled with slime, and with rotating boxes, giving you a time limit to properly handle each box set or DIE.

..... ;_; It was too much for my 9 year old self, especially just playing it on my cousin's Genesis maybe 3 times a year. When I finally BEAT that level, I was incredibly pleased. XD

I know I'm late as hell with this, but the difficulty of Chemical Plant has literally fucking nothing to do with my critique of FP's physics and its claim to following in the footsteps of the Genesis triology.

Who said it's claiming to be a blatant Sonic rip off? Sure, it draws inspiration from Sonic, but that's not the only source of inspiration, (Mario, Megaman, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, and maybe a little Castlevania.) so pinball movement wouldn't make sense here, not without weighing down pretty much everything else.

Because of that, Freedom Planet is accessible to more than Sonic players. As Blue Warrior already said, nobody has to fight the physics to play the game, and it wouldn't be as fluid otherwise. Your expectations for this game are difficult to understand.

If you absolutely have to have some classic Sonic movement, play as Carol and roll away; there's a character for everybody.

Who said it's claiming to be a blatant Sonic rip off? Sure, it draws inspiration from Sonic, but that's not the only source of inspiration, (Mario, Megaman, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, and maybe a little Castlevania.) so pinball movement wouldn't make sense here, not without weighing down pretty much everything else.

Because of that, Freedom Planet is accessible to more than Sonic players. As Blue Warrior already said, nobody has to fight the physics to play the game, and it wouldn't be as fluid otherwise. Your expectations for this game are difficult to understand.

If you absolutely have to have some classic Sonic movement, play as Carol and roll away; there's a character for everybody.

Wait, some inspiration from Gunstar? Please, may I ask, is there a certain character that is meant to be similar to Red and Blue from Gunstar Heroes, similar to how this Carol character is similar to classic Sonic?

Wait, some inspiration from Gunstar? Please, may I ask, is there a certain character that is meant to be similar to Red and Blue from Gunstar Heroes, similar to how this Carol character is similar to classic Sonic?
The game is filled to the brim with enemies and bosses that are pieced together from smaller sprites for exceptionally fluid animation - a decidedly Treasure-esque tactic. Think Seven Force - that's the Gunstar influence.

Game was delayed until July 19th, for the record. Didn't want to launch immediately after the Steam Summer Sales ended.

Carol is more similar to Zero(Mega Man X series), Zero( Mega Man Zero series) or Model ZX(Mega Man ZX) considering she's slower and has to get into the nitty gritty of the action with her melee attacks. Now Lilac... She's kind of like a mixture of modern Sonic and Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster:RKA2/Sparkster(SNES)/Rocket Knight(Xbox Live arcade and Playstation Store.).

Well, this is going to be one of the next games I get if I obtain the spare money for it. That launch trailer was very lively.

Played 2 levels, was pretty impressed so far. They've basically nailed the mishmash of "sonicXmegamanZero" so far.

And, although as a writer at heart I think they over-rely on the long voiced cutscenes, I'm still enjoying them. The characters are fun and pretty well voiced for amateurs.

Oh, and "OUR WALLS ARE IMPENETRABLE!" "Your FLOOR isn't." needs to be a meme. Like, YESTERDAY. XD

So I've beaten, what, 6 levels now? And I really gotta say, I am loving this game. With the exception of a few boss fights that just annoyed me to no end (looking at you, Trap Hideout boss), the levels and bosses are fun, colorful, and the characters control well. I have got to say though, my favorite character so far has to be Mayor Zao, he cracks me up.

So far, I'm the farthest with Lilac with Carol in second, both adventure mode.

And the cut-scenes are skippable if you really want to, but they do have some differences between Lilac and Carol.

Not just that, but you also get access to different stages with Carol and Mia too.

I just played through the game for the first time, as Lilac on Classic mode, normal difficulty.

I originally planned on trying to clear the game without using any continues, that didn't work out. I was not ready for that final level. If Platinum made a Sonic game, it would be very similar to that final level. Egg Rock 'aint got nothing on how impressed I was with that.

I really loved it though, it was a super fun game and I'll play through as the other characters when I get time. Attempting hard mode, and the adventure mode now that I'm curious about the finer details of the story after having beaten it. Also probably gonna keep trying to do classic runs until I can beat the game without getting a game over, the game is fairly generous with extra lives but it's still crazy difficult at times.

59CEF20FD02B999EEFF5968226F3B1856BCB24F9

Well, finally beat it, and I gotta say, it got a lot harder than I thought it would... ended up having to realize it had switched me to normal instead of leaving me on casual (I normally play games on easy the first time I play them). Anyway, after playing it, I have to say, it really surpassed my expectations. The game ended up fun, challenging, and the story was actually pretty good, and Carol was a pretty fun character to play as.

x5sg0x.jpg

...I know, I'm not very good... Fun fact, 27 of those deaths were from Final Dreadnought 1's boss fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back