Anyone remember SADX Shadow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting over. I got a few of the sprites I still had, but I don't have the A4A6 position anymore.
Preview:

SADXshadow.png

that shadow on the very right is from the JPEG image, I'm basing the one next to it off of it.

(This probably goes in editing huh?)

Quick pointless suggestion:

Start out on the walking sprites first. Get the hard part out of your system before starting another random topic about a character you'll be making.

That and the style of shading you're using is Pillow Shading. It looks good to some, but compare the shoes to those of the other sprites. Is the light source coming from the sky or from the side? Pillow shading is a cheap trick that enables some to sprite very quickly, but with only one thin shading layer. I think you may have used too many shades of grey on the spikes with your shading, and compare the spikes on the rightmost sprite with the leftmost and second from left sprites.

Pillow shading is good in moderation, but you should move on to other styles. Light sources don't move around so much in real life, do they?

Pillow Shading is putting slightly brighter colours right next to slightly darker colours over and over until you get something like this.
pillow13en1.png

(Image from ssn.sonicstadium.org. No, it's not based on you, SSN.)

Shading like this may look good to some, but it's not a fix-all solution. You have to use one source of light or else everything'll look all wonky.

Boinciel said:
That and the style of shading you're using is Pillow Shading. It looks good to some, but compare the shoes to those of the other sprites. Is the light source coming from the sky or from the side? Pillow shading is a cheap trick that enables some to sprite very quickly, but with only one thin shading layer. I think you may have used too many shades of grey on the spikes with your shading, and compare the spikes on the rightmost sprite with the leftmost and second from left sprites.

Pillow shading is good in moderation, but you should move on to other styles. Light sources don't move around so much in real life, do they?

That all depends on which sprite you're talking about. The SADX shadow on the very right is old, and I don't see pillow on any other sprites that I have up there.

And thanks CZ64 for the advice. :)

on Edge said:
Why don't you just do 3D models instead?

Because the 3D model looks different from these sprites I made, and I can't get the model to extract all the way from SADX to do it >_<. Also what Draykon said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back