• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Yoshi's Various Level Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grassy Fields Is Making Progress

Here's some new progress on GTZ:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20000.jpg
    srb20000.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 902
  • srb20002.jpg
    srb20002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 913
  • srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 895
  • srb20006.jpg
    srb20006.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 928
  • srb20008.jpg
    srb20008.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 910
  • srb20010.jpg
    srb20010.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 924
  • srb20012.jpg
    srb20012.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 883
Well, although it's still in progress, I've been messing with lighting a bit. (Ignore the circular wall in the back, those are extra sectors I haven't deleted yet)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Basically, what's happening here, is there's the natural light that enters the temple that's fading, and a torch that provides light in the darkening corridor, and they eventually fade together in some spots.

This is still in progress, especially since there's going to be a second torch, as per the rest of the temple, so there's going to be light fading from three different sources in the same area.

In other news, but still related to GTZ... I intend to make GTZ a pack of 13 levels. Of course, it'll be over time. The reason I'm doing this is that I felt adding secrets and emblems to my maps was pointless without having something unlocked for it, since otherwise there would be no reason to collect them.

After all, why would you collect a bunch of emblems, with the only purpose for doing so being just so that you can say "Hey, look, I got all the emblems!"? It's practically pointless. So there'll eventually be three main acts, and 10 levels that can be unlocked by either completing levels or collecting emblems, so that there's a purpose for collecting everything.

Attachments

• sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-20.822 [R2501].jpg
    sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-20.822 [R2501].jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 845
  • sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-39.442 [R2501].jpg
    sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-39.442 [R2501].jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 831
I'd recommend you using smoother sectors. Circles of 24 sides, for example, will make that light effect look better.

The light looks good already, though... in map, I can barely make out the edges between light levels, and that's if I actually try to see it.

Just a little announcement; Grassy Temple Zone is being put off until I regain my motivation. In the mean time, I'm experimenting with slopes in a test map. Once I'm done experimenting, I should be able to come up with actual uses for slopes in my maps. I'll post screenshots every so often to show my experiments, and possibly make it downloadable so that everyone can see it from more angles than screenshots provide.

Also, just in case anyone has any use for this... I made a simple equation for "cloning" a slope. So say you have a small slope, and you want it to be larger, but at the same angle. This works for that purpose.

S2E = (S1E - S1S) x (S2W / S1W) + S2S

Of course, I also have an example:

SLOPE 1:
Start: 24 (S1S)
End: 56 (S1E)
Width: 64 (S1W)

SLOPE 2:
Start: 56 (S2S)
End: 984 (S2E)
Width: 1856 (S2W)

"Start" is the height at the lower end of the slope
"End" is the height at the upper end of the slope
"Width" is how wide the slope is (in the direction of the slope)

So, using the example, what I was trying to find was the end height of the second slope so that it had the same angle as the first.

With the known information, this is the equation:

S2E = (56 - 24) x (1856 / 64) + 56

This equals 984, which made both slopes have the same angle.

My Slope Tests

To be honest, I'm kinda proud of myself for doing this, mainly because I didn't need help on it.
attachment.php

So, yeah, I still need to mess around with it, and see if I can get it to work better, but it's functional, if buggy. I also have the wad, so if you want to try it yourself, you can, as well as see what else I've done. (Don't expect much, though)

Attachments

• srb20045.gif
    srb20045.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 769
  • TestSlope.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 191
All I can say is to disable your flipcam, at least for now. I plan to make it "retain" your speed after the flip with a speed pad. I'll probably try to make it a full loop.

This is a nice effort and all, but you're still trying to play with a Doom limitation that we all honestly don't mind. Loops in 3D are pointless to level design because cameras aren't easily capable of following the player through the whole thing, not to mention almost every 3D loop is automated so its not a broken buggy gimmick, its still pointless either way.

This is a nice effort and all, but you're still trying to play with a Doom limitation that we all honestly don't mind. Loops in 3D are pointless to level design because cameras aren't easily capable of following the player through the whole thing, not to mention almost every 3D loop is automated so its not a broken buggy gimmick, its still pointless either way.

The thing about loops in 3D that makes them the most pointless is that the third dimension usually lets you just jump through them instead of running all the way around them. This prevents them from fulfilling their main function in the classic games, which was being a barrier that requires an amount of speed to clear, or else you'll just slide back down the loop.

The thing about loops in 3D that makes them the most pointless is that the third dimension usually lets you just jump through them instead of running all the way around them. This prevents them from fulfilling their main function in the classic games, which was being a barrier that requires an amount of speed to clear, or else you'll just slide back down the loop.

Modern Sonic titles (at least after Sonic Adventure 2) get around this issue by forcing player to go through the loop using what's called Splines, as soon as you step near the loop, you are forced to run through it to get to the other side, as long as it's done so fast that it doesn't really interrupt anything and visually looking good it's perfectly fine to have them in 3D.

Modern Sonic titles (at least after Sonic Adventure 2) get around this issue by forcing player to go through the loop using what's called Splines, as soon as you step near the loop, you are forced to run through it to get to the other side, as long as it's done so fast that it doesn't really interrupt anything and visually looking good it's perfectly fine to have them in 3D.

You can force the player to run through a loop in a 3D game, yes, but that turns it from an organic gameplay element into a scripted event, so even if running through the loop looks cool, it's still pointless from a gameplay perspective.

Guys, I'm only making it in 3D for the purpose of testing. If I actually use it in a level, it will be 2D. Actually, my main reason for making it is because it'll give me more experience with slopes, even if it isn't practical.

Guys, I'm only making it in 3D for the purpose of testing. If I actually use it in a level, it will be 2D. Actually, my main reason for making it is because it'll give me more experience with slopes, even if it isn't practical.

That all sounds fine. I was talking more about loops and the scripting thereof in official 3D Sonic games than about what you're working on.

Well, after regaining my motivation to work on the map (which is turning out nicely, IMO) I've run into a rendering problem:

attachment.php

However, this doesn't occur from a distance:

attachment.php

...and it doesn't happen when you're in it:

attachment.php

This is an OpenGL issue, so it won't affect anyone who plays in Software, but I want the map to work for both, especially since I use OpenGL (which I kinda have to, since software makes my computer lag)

Attachments

• srb20611.jpg
    srb20611.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 578
  • srb20612.jpg
    srb20612.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 522
  • srb20613.jpg
    srb20613.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 534
Damn motivational issues...

I did manage to make a little more progress, though.

I've been working on "secret" areas. You don't have to look for them, they're just side challenges with rewards at the end, such as character-specific emblems.

A small pool if water. I mainly added it just for looks, since I had nothing else to put there. I may add something in there.
attachment.php

And some slopes. I think I'm gonna add some kind of obstacles to them so that they serve more of a purpose than just looks.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20614.jpg
    srb20614.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 462
  • srb20615.jpg
    srb20615.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 440
  • srb20616.jpg
    srb20616.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 422
  • srb20617.jpg
    srb20617.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back