• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

So, with the main focus looking to be on making a co-op friendly mod, how do the levels play out in Single Player? Is most of the major playtesting done alone or in co-op mode?
From the footage of the game we've seen so far, The most of the play testing is done in co-op mode, as some features from the doom builder take place like "Floor touch, all players" and others that I can't name at the moment. And if they were to play in single player, I bet most of the levels would be much harder to complete.

Currently the levels play well in both singleplayer and co-op. While the bulk of our testing is done in co-op, we do test the levels out in single player as well.

Regarding the difficulty of co-op and single player, you need to consider that resources are actually limited because the health bar system means you can't collect your rings again after taking damage. So you will have more opportunities to fill out your health bar in single player, while in co-op you need to share the rings out amongst all of the players in the server.

Naturally, we have the multiplayer Mario effect, where the game is built around more players taking up space and resources, so when you switch to one lone man it ends up much easier. All we can do is really recommend 2-4 players at a time.

Last edited:
They should be a battle mode. Where every player fight each other. Like Sonic Battle.

It would be awesome, but they would need to code melee attacks and sprites. That would take some time. But right now, this mod is so great that i keep on coming everyday to the SRB2 MB just to see if there are new updates for SRB2TopDown. Rating by now? 11 out of freaking 10.

Yeah... when a really good add-on to SRB2 comes to mind, i just get hooked instantly. This mod is something creative, and finally Co-op will not be like Single-Player levels with some other people, actually, cooperating.

...Unless you wonder around as the fastest character and getting all the emblems -_-

We noticed an issue with people being greedy ring-hogs even when they were almost fully fed, and players with little to no rings would die of ring-starvation because of this frequently. Our ring-based economy is tough.
srb20225.png

Sryder13 coded these to appear over other people's heads in multiplayer when they have little to no rings left to spare, lets you know when to skip a monitor for your pal's sake.

It's the small things that matter~

Yeah... when a really good add-on to SRB2 comes to mind, i just get hooked instantly. This mod is something creative, and finally Co-op will not be like Single-Player levels with some other people, actually, cooperating.

...Unless you wonder around as the fastest character and getting all the emblems -_-

Distinguished gentlemen that do this get bubbled right back to the party most of the time, and speed differences between characters are nearly minimal.

Last edited:
That is something great. This mod keeps becoming better and better.
I have a question, why are Emblems so important that they have their own place in the HUD?

Rings are most likely for health while the emblems will be like rings in any normal Sonic game. I am probably wrong but it's just a thought...

So, I remember reading this mod will be using Analog mode as its main control method, or at least something similar to that affect. Does this mean that Analog/new method works online as well for this mod?

That is something great. This mod keeps becoming better and better.
I have a question, why are Emblems so important that they have their own place in the HUD?

I think Emblems will work like the NiGHTS mode ones; that is, adding to your score when you collect them. It seems like they're there for competitive/record attack purposes. You know, trying to get the best score between your friends, or trying to top your own high score on a map, etc.

So, I remember reading this mod will be using Analog mode as its main control method, or at least something similar to that affect. Does this mean that Analog/new method works online as well for this mod?
Yes, that's what originally inspired Sryder to make this an executable!

I think Emblems will work like the NiGHTS mode ones; that is, adding to your score when you collect them. It seems like they're there for competitive/record attack purposes. You know, trying to get the best score between your friends, or trying to top your own high score on a map, etc.

This is spot on, yes.

Sounds like currency in any platformer, they're just plain points that go towards the score, like a mario game or some flash game platformer.

They're worth a bit more than just "score" but we can't tell you more than that.

Keep up the great work, guys! I'm looking forward to it (As you can probably tell :P). And just asking... what's left to do to this mod to release it?

I'm assuming they still need to actually make all the levels necessary for a good first release, as well as making sure the engine is as bug-free as possible.
One last question. Is it just me or is the Knuckles in this using the Chuckles sprites? If so, are those the default sprites for Knuckles for SRB2TD or is that just the wad itself added?

EDIT: Another one, sorry. Do you drop emblems at all if you get hit?

Last edited:
Chuckles is just a wad for now, but I'm positive those'll be the default sprites for him by release.

Also, no, you don't drop emblems when hit. Your "ring HP" just drops.

Sounds like Sonic Unleashed's Werehog health meter: Where rings only heal you, not score you. Also is 5 HP a fair choice? Could the health be expanded through commands in the console?

Chuckles is just a wad for now, but I'm positive those'll be the default sprites for him by release.

Actually, he automatically loads, so he's technically default right now. But soon enough I'll be finished with re-spriting all the characters, as well as our secret 4th guy for this mod's perspective anyways.

We plan a demo soon, and the re-spriting will be done after that.

Also is 5 HP a fair choice? Could the health be expanded through commands in the console?

Nope.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back