[Open Assets] Alternative Match System (Meleeweapons.soc)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Finally got around to screwing around with updated 2.0 SOCs, and here's what I came up with. Since SRB2's match isn't very Sonic-ey at all, I made an attempt to make it slightly more Sonic-ey, yet at the same time a little less Sonic-ey.

So what this basically does is give the spintrail "missile" properties- allowing you to damage opponents by spindashing into them, and- the more interesting part- replaces the weapon rings with advanced movement tricks. Basically it's weapons.soc but less rangey, and with the damaging trail.

The following weapons exist, with fancy names for no reason:

Zero Shot - Replaces Redring
Should do nothing, not properly tested due to no one joining my test netgame. :(

Photon Shroud - Replaces Autoring
Gives you the same invisibility as Spectators, which much to my surprise, is much more invisible than in 1.09.4. But that doesn't mean you can cloak yourself and ninja everyone to death. This thing eats through your rings like delicious candy, and makes a loud annoying noise to alert your opponents, and even (This is totally not me trying to pass off my being too lazy to get rid of a couple details as a feature. o.o Really) Still handy for throwing off your opponents though.

Perfect Thok - Replaces Bounce Ring
Basically allows you to perform a quick thok-like 'dash' at any time, as any character, at the expense of one ring. Similar in potential strategy to multithok, but harder to attack out of.

Ring Scatter - Replaces Scatter Ring
Sends forth a 'splash' of force, causing any nearby rings to go flying. Useful for both keeping your opponent away from precious jewelry, as well as herding massive reserves into a corner for your own taking.
A little buggy. Again, it would've been nice to properly netplay test it. >_>

Aero Hop - Replaces Bomb Ring
Now Sonic can Fap Fap until he runs out of juice! (Oh God why did I reference that?!) Allows you a variant of multijump. Increases your vertical momentum rather than resetting it, and thus is less powerful. It's hard to use, but this is a FEATURE and not a BUG. If I wanted an overpowered free flight, I'd map this to the autoring instead (If you're feeling adventurous try it, it's actually kinda cool. But it still kinda loses to Pac's glider.)

Zero Rail - Replaces Rail Ring
Rail ring doesn't like weapon SOCs, so I don't like it. Same effect as Zero Shot.

Grenades - Replace Grenades
Grenades are awesome and I will not tamper with them.

Absolutely no graphical modifications are caused by this SOC, so no screenshots.

I'm not going to move this myself because that would be arrogant and I'm a terrible Judge anyway.

Attachments

• meleeweapons.zip
    695 bytes · Views: 1,695
And thus, the age of 2D match was born.

Maybe. I'll have to try it first. Though, the spintrail would need to disappear faster.

EDIT: Yeah, Zero hurts. Both of 'em. Test it in Split screen next time. Also, what you did with the scatter is just... I can't DESCRIBE it it's so weird and unconventional. And the spintail NEEDS to be up for just one tic. Having the ENTIRE TRAIL do damage is too much. And the Auto Ring camo is worthless with a shield, AND the auto ring afterimages are STILL viable. And that noise makes it worthless anyway, ESPECIALLY since the bounce ring, regardless of how off-track it is, works on the GROUND, and while SPINNING.

Last edited:
Finally a way to put my dash anger to good use(in coop when someone makes me mad I spindash 'em, XD).
But let me test real quick.

Okay, I've tried it (not in a netgame though :P)

That Proton Shroud sounds and looks quite cool, no complaints.
The Perfect Thok is a bit useless though and it works on the ground (lol)
Ring Scatter is big mess though, literally scattering the rings in sight ALL OVER the map sounds really stupid and unneeded.
Aero Hop is IMO even more useless and leaves you open for attack and all.

A suggestion for the Bomb ring replacement would be Selfdestruct: the Bomb ring explodes on you and damages anyone in the vicinity but not yourself.

I quite like the new additions. You should find a way to turn rail ring into something. Unrelated, but the Proton Shroud reminds me of the Dark Stone of Invisibility from a certain game.

Okay, did a ctf and match with this. Nice job, how ever, scatter, just get rid of it.
Also the zero shots do damage, as D00D64 has said. Other wise, fun with bounce ring and tails XD.

My turn!

Zero Ring - IT HURTS. D:<
Photon Shroud - It drains rings too fast. D: Either make the ring drain a tad slower or cut off the SFX. I vote for cutting off the SFX.
Perfect Thok - It only thoks in 8 directions.
Ring Scatter - Make it dissapear after a second of existance.
Aero Hop - Good! Knuckles can fly with it though.
Rail Ring - See name. -.-
Grenades - Grenades *are* awesome.

Draykon said:
So what this basically does is give the spintrail "missile" properties- allowing you to damage opponents by spindashing into them, and- the more interesting part- replaces the weapon rings with advanced movement tricks. Basically it's weapons.soc but less rangey, and with the damaging trail.
My only complaint happens to be with this. Countless times I have seen a melee SOC having been created and involving spin trails having the missile property added. It's aggravating since damage isn't handled by the actual player, but rather what the player produces (Eg. That classic Snake game).

Why not try to turn the actual player into a missile when in the spin frames? A_SetObjectFlags on the spinning frames and using the same action to remove the flags on frames the character normally exits his/her spinning frames (Standing, Tails fly, Knuckles glide), perhaps? This might prove to be useful for characters who either do not spin or do not have a spin trail.

Why not try to turn the actual player into a missile when in the spin frames? A_SetObjectFlags on the spinning frames and using the same action to remove the flags on frames the character normally exits his/her spinning frames (Standing, Tails fly, Knuckles glide), perhaps? This might prove to be useful for characters who either do not spin or do not have a spin trail.

Didn't adding the missle tag on players disable monitor popping for them? I believe Bippo Bop went into this issue.

Making the players themselves the missiles presents ALL SORTS of problems.
For starters, changing the player's flags midgame like that results in an annoying 'flicker' effect, in which the player's color is reset. This also breaks hires. (Though is that still used?)
By giving the player MF_Missile, you also screw up the way they're handled. Monitors need to be reworked- as Dood64 pointed out- and friction is pretty much gone.
Properly allowing a player to receive points for a kill in this manner is also a pain. Points are awarded to the player that it the target of the missile object. This means you have to ensure that the player is always targeting himself. For the most part, you can get away with having the player A_FindTarget for a player, but this tends to cause C-failures (At least in 1.09.4, again a test netgame is impossible, and I think C-Fails in general have been fixed, but it still means lag) when players get too close to each other- and guess where they're going to be when meleeing.

Those problems, and I think a few more that I can't think of ATM, vs a couple clicks in SOCEdit to get the damaging spintrail, maybe a bit more work to get the trail while spinning in general. I think it's obvious what works better.

You should find a way to turn rail ring into something.
The rail ring is a redring with some hardcoded properties. You're really REALLY limited on what you can change with SOCs.

The Perfect Thok is a bit useless though and it works on the ground (lol)
It's supposed to work on the ground, and it has all the same uses as Thok, plus a few more.

And to the complaints about the bomb ring: It really is a very powerful platforming tool, you obviously just aren't using it right. :D (Only use it while ascending, it's useless otherwise. >_>)

As for Zero Shot dealing damage: Join the test netgame next time. D:

If anyone hasnt found out yet, Zero ring and Rail ring still do damage, but the sound for the proton shroud kinda makes it annoying. But other than the sound it's a pretty nice change of pace from the normal system.

The only way to attack (If zero ring didn't hurt) would be grenades. Who would want to play an alternate match that you have to work kinda hard to hurt people, so the zero rings shouldn't be replaced.

Just turn the red ring into a punch!

Just change the sprite to a fist going out and make it disappear after 3-4 tics. I think you can also use a sock to change the speed at which it moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back