Pokémon Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I finished the main game and most of the postgame, I'll put a review of mine on here:

I had to admit, when Sun & Moon got announced I was very unsure about the new formula and how it was going to work (Trials, Grand Trials, etc) and honestly I was pleasently surprised. The game looks absolutely fantastic, the battles are a lot of fun (A bit challenging at times) and the Trials were great. It really stands out of the crowd from previous generations and I really like how it was handled. Also no more HM slaves is a huge plus in my book. It's so good now to be able to progress and create good movesets for a team without having to worry about the latter.

The story was fantastic. It really goes in-depth with the characters and the scenarios. What was going on in the current situation, what was going to happen next, and overall how the characters developed throughout the game. I didn't want it to end and I never felt that way with a Pokemon story for a very long time. The cutscenes were nice, but a bit heavy at times and dragged on for way longer than it should of have. Especially after the first time you beat the new Alola Elite Four.

There are only 2 things I have to critisise about the game. First thing is the lack of direction in some areas of the game give you. It's either very vague or it doesn't give you specific direction of where you need to go next. Thank god the Rotom Dex had flag points to show me where I needed to go, because there were a few points where I felt frustrated because it was not clear at times when I need a rough idea of where to go next. Plus the Rotom Dex just talks a load of crap half the time too which don't help.

Another personal gripe I have with the game is the excessive "Call for help" spawns. I'm talking about it happening 5 - 6 times in a row in some of the early encounters in the game, not so much in the middle point, and towards the end of the game when you try to catch something. The wild pokemon will literally do whatever spawns it can pull out to make you struggle and it's really annoying. It makes total sense for the "Call for help" to used more frequently in the Totom Pokemon battles, seeing they are the "boss battles" but for christ sake they need to lower those kind of spawns elsewhere. It's handy if you want to do the SOS Encounters for Shiny Pokemon and some of the exclusive enounters you can only find with this method, but if I want to catch a pokemon I want to go in, get the pokemon, and move onto my next task. That should not be an issue in itself.

I have 202/301 pokemon at the moment as I'm completing the Alola dex, but otherwise I'm really surprised with Sun/Moon and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it so far. It definitely has to be in my top 3 favourite gens by far. Gen 2 being my 1st, this gen being 2nd, and Gen 5 being number 3.

Edit: I forgot to add my team originally. My main team consists of: Decidueye, Salazzle, Alolan Raichu, Mudsdale, Araquanid, and Lycanroc (Midday Form).

Last edited:
Well, I just finally completed the Alolan dex, and overall I have a positive opinion. I really quite like how they've been adding a post-game story quest instead of just ending the plot at the champion, but in this one I'm kinda sad they didn't really include all that much in the way of area that wasn't necessary. The Delta Episode of ORAS used a lot of the territory in Hoenn that wasn't really used the first time around, and I loved that, but since this region is new they didn't really have a lot of extra territory TO use. I guess I just really miss having areas in the game that are off the beaten path.

Anyhow, now I'm probably on to figuring out what I want to use in PvP this gen, and see if this gen is at least reasonably balanced, unlike 5th and 6th X_X

and see if this gen is at least reasonably balanced

Well there is annoying stuff like Toxapex which is absolutely disgusting with how bulky it can be, and there's also the Tapus, Ultra Beasts and Ash-Greninja that can deal crazy amount of damage if you don't have anything against them, and they're really common in PvP from what I've seen.

Jesus fuck, I never thought I'd have to double click the Video Games thread icon to prevent seeing any spoilers from this game... But today I finally got it! And... I can't... stop.... squealing.... at the new shit in the game... Though I don't know if its a bad thing to have a team of 1: Level 14 Litten before doing the "island challenge".

Well there is annoying stuff like Toxapex which is absolutely disgusting with how bulky it can be.

Toxapex is disgustingly broken. With merciless, this thing is bound to get critical hits every single time unless somebody has Lucky Chant, or the Battle Armor/Shell Armor abilities. Plus giving how bulky this thing is as well, it would act as an amazing wall/special wall and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone starts using it.

For the Ultra Beasts, they seem to be an odd and very broken bunch as well. Guzzlord is an absolute nightmare to deal with, given how bulky it is and a realy heavy hitter as well. It was the only UB I actually struggled with in the postgame.

Finally completed the Pokedex and got my shiny charm! But let's have have a moment of silence for SAMMY SWAG as he only needs one more pokemon to complete the dex and then he got error 003-1101.
11792pd.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the best entry in some time if only because they finally made a stride forward and removed HMs as we knew them.

I'm enjoying it a lot though, a lot of the new designs are likable as well.

I'm currently on the second island, taking my time filling out the pokedex. The last gen I played was B/W, so this was a pleasant surprise. The presentation as a whole has gotten a much-needed overhaul and the battle system feels massively improved. I'm a fan of the changes to wild pokemon battles and "gyms", as having to fight two pokemon at once adds a new element of challenge to battles. I would have liked it had the developers gone even further and made more diligent use of the other battle types as well -- I never understood why each campaign is always so conservative with just sticking to singles for most of the game.

Needless to say, the removal of HMs is a welcome change. A lot of the game's differences from the previous entries seems to be aimed at fixing old problems and rebalancing the formula. It's all very streamlined.

Good game, will continue playing

Last edited:
Apparently not EVERYTHING is shiny locked.

261610typenull.jpg

Got this Type:Null in 3041 softresets (...with the shiny charm, here goes my luck lol)

I finally completed the Alola Dex with 301 pokemon, not including Marshadow as that thing isn't available yet. Now I got a Shiny Charm in this game it's time for the shiny hunts to start. I couldn't of got off a better start if I tried, after grabbing this beauty of a Shiny Rockruff after 55 SOS Encounters. It's got Hasty nature as well, so that'll be good for a physical sweeper seeing as Rockruff has got quite good Attack stat to begin with.

mini_750318IMG1841.jpg

mini_489840IMG1842.jpg

I managed to get a Lv 100 Shiny Silvally in one hell of a lucky wonder trade. Technically it doesn't count as my first Gen 7 Shiny I've caught myself as it is a trade, but a cracker nevertheless.

Last edited:
So after beating the Sun edition, i finally got myself convinced of getting the Ultra Beasts and then totally forgot about the Tapus.

i'm gonna say this gen was good, but i like a little more gen 6, i also got myself lucky and got the DNA Splicers, Prison Bottle and something else i forgot how it was named.

I also noticed the game has a Pikachu with Ash's hat that isn't available (yet), it got me crazy to get him that i thought a lot of hacking the game.

It's also awesome that you can fight Red and Blue IMO.

i also got myself a Shiny Riolu and i forgot how to evolve him, any hints for how to evolve him?

Last edited:
i also got myself a Shiny Riolu and i forgot how to evolve him, any hints for how to evolve him?

It evolves after leveling up with enough happiness, you can increase it by simply keeping it in your party and doing stuff with it (pokemon refresh, using TMs...). You can check if it's happy enough from a lady at Koni Koni near the TM store, at the south of the Akala island if I remember right.

Loved the game and all it introduced. Definitely has a formidable difficulty. Just hated how underleveled my team was at the Champion battle. I didn't really know how to gauge the levels my party needed to be by the end of the game though I'm also the type of player to skip trainers.
Gladion got on my nerves with his anime-like personality. I'm waiting for the memes to come out though. Like Lillie telling Nebby to stay in the fucking bag.
Seriously though, my team was still in the forties when I was doing the champion battle minus Lunala who somewhat carried the squad. But my team at the end consisted of: Leviathan(Gyrados)/Gengar/Alakazam/Nosferbatu(Crobat)/Stena(Tsareena from an NPC trade in Poni Poni Island.)/Lunala
I mean I know one of my problems was being weak to freaking dark types and having nothing to counter them, not to mention Alakazam and Gengar are both glass cannons. Also I didn't start missing Focus Blast and Thunder until the serious battles. Go figure .-.

After many soft resets I had beaten the campaign. I wish they let you save afterwards because that was all that was on my mind until I caught Tapu Koko on the first turn with a Quick Ball.
My Litten isn't even fully evolved yet o_e. Still a Torracat at level 33. I think that's one of the places I went wrong.
Anywho, that was my adventure in a nutshell. If anyone wants to donate some strong pokemans to me so I can get over the hurdles of post-game content. (Lunala's quad weaknesses hinder it's carrying ability and Tapu Koko feels fragile though he got an attack raising nature so I'm still happy.)

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the memes to come out though

But they already did

After trying out the game thanks to a friend, I got a good feel of what the new battle mechanics felt like, and they were great, urging me to buy a copy even more.

Welp, it took lots of saving up, but I finally got the game! I'm actually pretty impressed by the game's visuals so far.

f5YNi0S.jpg

This was wonder traded btw

...oh yeah that's right. That update for Pokémon Bank came out a few days ago. Updating it gets you a Z-Crystal for Mew, so that's cool.

Also you can transfer Pokémon from your Red, Blue, and/or Yellow game right to Bank which I still find crazy cool how that's a thing. Now I'm wondering if the Generation 2 games are getting Virtual Console'd sometime

Finally, i can now transfer my Mew from Pokemon Red that i got by that glitch. maybe MissingNo too.

Unless the glitch Mew is edited to have the data of the RBY event Mew, it won't be regarded as legit.

Funny thing is, transferring Missingno causes problems regarding names in Pokemon Bank. 20 years and it's still glitching stuff up, what a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back