[Open Assets] Unslanted HUD (Sonic 1 style)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CommandoEclipse

Occasional Artist and Critique
Because most people hate the regular HUD.

Code:
Update #1: Added stage clear tally graphics because I forgot to do so the first time.

Attachments

• srb20619.png
    srb20619.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,196
  • srb20620.png
    srb20620.png
    52 KB · Views: 1,459
  • srb20621.png
    srb20621.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,156
  • srb20622.png
    srb20622.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 933
  • srb20623.png
    srb20623.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 900
  • unslantedhud.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Bright Tailz said:
Because most people hate the regular HUD.

[citation needed]

Your numbers look very weird because they seem to have been redrawn entirely, rather than just shifting the bottom halves one pixel to the right.

Also, you didn't touch the level-end tally graphics at all.

This WAD makes me wonder why the HUD had to be like Sonic 2's.

It makes a lot of sense if you consider the context of the game's development, even if the specific reason has never been shared. I remember being told once that SSN was a semi-major player in the Sonic 2 hacking scene in the late 90's before he got stuck into DooM and its offshoots. Later, during the earliest days of the project where he led the more artistic side of things, he was busy working on the original Sonic character's sprites.

It would be around this time that he made the decision to select the Sonic 2 HUD. Why specifically Sonic 2 is a curious question - there's a number of plausible reasons that can be extrapolerated from the information gathered in the previous paragraph, such as programmer graphics that never quite got replaced, or whether it was an intentional decision for look and feel - but it's not exactly history's most unexplainable decision.

Of course, he could easily turn up and give his own take on things - but this is, at least, what I know.

犬夜叉;795219 said:
[citation needed]

You remember those arguments, don't you? ^^;

I always thought Sonic 1 / CD's HUD was more tidier whilst Sonic 2's was a bit of a mess
(Sonic 3, although uses Sonic 1's hud, the shine and colour kinda ruins it)

This WAD makes me wonder why the HUD had to be like Sonic 2's.

I always thought it was because SRB2 and Sonic 2 are both the second games in their respective series.

I always thought it was because SRB2 and Sonic 2 are both the second games in their respective series.

Yeah when i first saw it i though, "hey its like sonic 2". Anyways. I prefered the non slanted hud so this is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back