Effect 4 on zoom tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MascaraSnake

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
I just found out that checking the Effect 4 flag on Zoom Tubes makes the player spin back and forth in it endlessly. That means that you spin from the first to the last waypoint, then back to the first, then to the last again, and so forth. Apparently, there's no way to stop this effect or escape otherwise, so you're trapped forever. My questions to the devs or anybody else who figures this out: Is there any use for this? Is there a way to make the player escape? Is this just a broken or unfinished feature? Who knows something?

I think EFFECT4 does something else...maybe you don't have it set up right.

Edit: Ah, here we go. It doesn't require you to face the same direction as the tube direction to activate it. This would explain why you go back and forth endlessly, if the end of your tube is also in an activation sector for it.

How exactly? If the Zoom Tube is two-way, you can't exit it at all, since the effect always affects both the start and the end sector.

Can you be teleported out of a Zoom Tube? Because if you can, then you could use that effect to create a zooming-back-and-forth-between-two-points effect and an attendent teleporter with a timed delay. That could be used for some kind of gimmick.

Could the two way Zoom Tube idea work if you put a FOF sector or something that would acts like a switch (by making use of Linedef executors) that pulls up a wall on the entrance, opening up a wall that was covering a third unaccessable route and another sector gets activated as well that is much like the previous one to start a new zoom tube route and just exit?

The idea is just a guess using what knowledge I have of Zoom Tubes and Linedef Executors, I have to read the wiki some more and try to test it out to see if it would work.

Hmm... or maybe you could have it as a "particle accelerator" gimmick where you have to "build up energy" in the Zoom Tube to teleport. Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back