• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

what the fuck happened to my thread

I'm sorry, but I never asked if you liked the characters or not. If you want to stay on topic, you should talk about how the sprites are instead of talking about your dislike for them, because your opinion on the characters themselves are completely irrelevant to the quality of the sprites.

biovgj.png

Evidence that Sonic does have a tail~

Last edited:
I wonder who made that great lineart you shaded there, that is totally better than the vanilla backframe's awkwardness in every way?~

biovgj.png

I'm Totally loving these sprites, hope the 2.1.9 patch comes soon. But I just.... It feels like the shoes haven't changed at all, and I think his back spines should be a bit more "round" or bended to have more a form like a circle and a bit less.... big? It almost covers most of Sonic's middle back. But anyways, if this is intentional to keep the ol Sonic style then it's fine like this.

Last edited:
I didn't change the shoes because it felt unnecessary, as they are fine already. And also, they do cover a lot of Sonic's back.

800px-Classic_sonic_orthographicsvg.png

I'm not sure if I really like the way Sonic's arms are posed. Not structurally, but stylistically. If you'll notice in Sonic 1-3, his arms have more of a bend to them, like he's holding them against his hips or something. Doing something like that would imbue more personality into the character.

what the fuck happened to my thread

I'm sorry, but I never asked if you liked the characters or not. If you want to stay on topic, you should talk about how the sprites are instead of talking about your dislike for them, because your opinion on the characters themselves are completely irrelevant to the quality of the sprites.

*clipped image*

The spines on that Sonic's head look a bit too short, even by Classic Sonic standards. As others have said, all of his spines are also not rounded enough, more triangular than crescent-like.

No, they really don't. The ones on the sides are really awkward and short-looking. The main issue is that the bottom center spike goes down as low as the bottom side spikes, and it looks off because of that.

Also, I don't know if it's the posing, the way the spikes are positioned, or what, but the head looks too small for the body for some reason. It's kind of weird-looking.

800px-Classic_sonic_orthographicsvg.png

biovgj.png

I think he might need to make the bottom 2 spikes a bit longer, but the top 2 are pretty much the same as the one on the reference art.
Even if he doesn't do that, I still love these sprites. I don't really have a problem with his spikes, but if you REALLY want them to look exactly like that reference art, that's all that should be changed, in my opinion.

I appear to have messed up the subject temporarily. I apologize for that and honestly, I meant just the legs, not the arms themselves. Thank you.

Anyway, why are we complaining about the length? I think the real issue is the shading. Look at those side quills and tell me that the lighter pixels are not out of place. If anything, at least it isn't pillow shaded, but it's still awkward.

Last edited:
Look at those side quills and tell me that the lighter pixels are not out of place.

Alright, the lighter pixels are not out of place.

sotwjk.png

Updated the sprite based on what Terra and RedEnchilada said, thank you very much for the feedback~

I think he might need to make the bottom 2 spikes a bit longer, but the top 2 are pretty much the same as the one on the reference art.

Don't fall into the trap of making the sprites from a dead-on center view. You want to have the 'camera' at about forehead-level. That reference art is with the view height at about belly. In SRB2, the camera is almost always above the player.

For example, this kinda looks like he's leaning forward, because the camera is higher than he is, but the sprite is drawn like a straight-on parallel projection:

The earlier image didn't have any transition between the lighter and darker pixels. This one does.

Also, taking into account what SSNTails said, the sprite itself looks strange. Sonic? You're not close enough to the edge to be glancing down at the abyss.

The earlier image didn't have any transition between the lighter and darker pixels. This one does.

Um, it actually did have anti ailising around the highlights, it was just closer to the dark blue. Also I understand the camera thing, but literally all of SRB2's back-sprites for characters are dead on view with the camera. Even your Sonic back-sprite, SSN.

No point in changing it now, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Then fix it so it's consistent with the other angles? Vanilla Sonic's back-side has the perspective he mentioned, and that obviously looks closer to correct than vanilla's back.

Then you'd have to do the back angles for everything that involves them, animations and other characters.

Um, it actually did have anti ailising around the highlights, it was just closer to the dark blue. Also I understand the camera thing, but literally all of SRB2's back-sprites for characters are dead on view with the camera. Even your Sonic back-sprite, SSN.

No point in changing it now, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

No, that specific old sprite is slightly tilted higher up. It's subtle but makes a difference.
HOWEVER... there are a lot of other ones that violate that principle and are straight-on... I'm not saying all of my old ones are correct, rather I'm speaking from experience and saying to avoid the same trap. :P

What's the point of giving perspective for Sonic's back sprites now when none of the other characters have any perspectives in their back angles at all? What I made was literally the same pose and perspective as the vanilla sprite, just with better spines and a tail. How did all this shit come up only now?

Like, fuck. It's hard for me to know what everyone is expecting when all I intended for Sonic was just really a revamp. I might be willing to do this whole perspective stuff few people have been suggesting, but I honestly don't know how to apply that to the back angle without revolutionizing the other angles' animations as well. Can someone help me out with that, then? At least for getting the point across to what I should try doing.

w1trtc.png

Please, help.

EDIT: Speedwagon just sent me an edit of the sprite.

rotationthingshitman.png

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back