Character WAD Crashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro the Magma Fox

Totally not using Hydreigon
Hi, I really need help! I try my character wad, no bad sprite names come up, but then when my character MOVES, the game just crashes! Please, I need help!

Nobody can help you without you providing the wad for them to look at. How is anyone supposed to know what is wrong just based on a single sentence description of the symptom?

It sounds quite like the all uppercase lump names syndrome(not TM) to me. Well, depending on the program you are using, you have to set it up so that it can read and write lowercase lump names.

If you are using XWE read this first.

If you are usng SLADE, well, there isn't any wiki page that tells you how to make it accept lowercase lumps, but i bet it is similar to the SLumpEd Tutorial.

Once you got that set up, then you should read the Character WAD Tutorial to see if you missed some frames (or compare another custom character wad to see what you did wrong just be careful on XWE)

If you still can't figure it out, you can upload it and get help that way.

Last edited:
I used SLumpED and I added a map to stop the crashes, but the walking and idle sprites etc. are like item boxes, goal post or other random stuff!

Go into your WAD file and check the sprite names, the issue is probably that the lowercase letter frames have been auto-capitilized by your program making them your standing and walking frames. Just find the pictures with lowercase letters (PLAYa#, PLAYb#, etc) and make sure that they are lowercase.

Ah, SLumpEd. Yeah, SLumpEd has a bug where even if you tell it to allow lowercase lumps, it will still change the lowercase lumps to uppercase everytime you load the WAD. It saves lowercase lumps fine, but you have to keep on changing it to lowercase everytime you want to update the WAD.

For that reason, SLumpEd isn't very good for character WADs, but you can try SLADE which does not have this bug and is very similar to SLumpEd (since it was made by the same person and is practically an updated version of that program). You can also try XWE, but make sure you set up XWE before you use that.

Last edited:
Okay, I am trying it now! (March 22nd, 4:10PM GMT)

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Wait, I'VE GOT IT!!! All I needed to do was make the lump names that should have lowercase... BE LOWERCASE! Thanks XWE! And on that note... How do you set that lowercase option on SLADE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back