Reporting servers - How to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Alrighty, guys. I've seen some reports on servers that I would love to take care of. However, there is a problem with the way the logs are being sent. I'm seeing either no log at all, or I'm seeing snippets from logs.

So, here's how you can report these servers, and help us take care of the problems plaguing the MS.

If you have joined a game, and it is apparent they're not playing SRB2, doing so in a bad manner (swearing, saying stupid things, kicking people randomly, etc.), or generally breaking the rules, warn them that they are breaking the Master Server rules, and will be banned. If those of us who are capable of banning on the MS do not see a warning, we will not be able to do anything. For the record, saying "Reporting you!" is not a warning. A proper warning would be along the lines of "If you don't stop roleplaying, I'm going to report you." The "Reporting you!" kind of warning will force us not to do anything about the rule-breaking server.

If, after warning them, you are kicked, close SRB2, and report the server, and include logs, immediately. To send over logs, open up the logfile it generates. For those who don't know, it's called "log.txt", and is found in the main SRB2 folder. Copy the contents on the logfile to http://paste.srb2.org/, and submit it. Then, head over to http://ms.srb2.org/, and click on the server name that is being reported. Write up a brief summary on what they're doing wrong, and include links to the logfiles put on paste.srb2.org in the Logfiles section. It is important that you copy all of the stuff in the logfile, as we need to see the map being used, and all the wads that have been added. Please be extra sure to include that. Don't put the contents of the logfile in the logfile -URL. This will lead to the reporter being banned from ms.srb2.org if it continues.

If, after warning them, they continue, stay in the game for a good 10 minutes or so to collect a decent logfile. Send it over to us using the same method explained above.

If, for any reason, you suspect they may start doing the same garbage again on a new game, copy the logfile of the first incident and save it somewhere so that you can include it in the next report. If you explain that one of the logfiles is from an earlier incident where they were legitimately warned, that warning counts for the second logfile for the new game as well, and you do not need to warn them a second time. But you must explain that one of the logs is from a previous game, and not the current one.

Now, I should also comment something I've seen requested a few times in the summaries:
We will not give a person extra ban time for insulting a girl, for being racist, or for any other kinds of these reasons. These all fall under the General Stupidity Rule, and will be treated as such.

Please, also remember: Just because you filed a report, does not mean that the person will be banned. We ban as we feel we need to. Telling people that they're going to be banned from the MS just because you filed a report is wrong, because there's a chance that they won't be. In that case, you will be the one who looks foolish, not the host. So please refrain from lines similar to "You're going to get banned now!"

For those of you reporting rule-breaking servers correctly, I thank you for helping to make the MS a place that everyone can enjoy.

Until now, we've used Nomorepaste (I mistyped?) and srb2.pastebin. I think this new one (paste.srb2.org) could be our official pastebin for reports hereafter.

I thought it'd be a nice idea if Cue added a notice in ms.srb2.org informing reporters about paste.srb2.org...

Dark Warrior said:
For those of you reporting rule-breaking servers correctly, I thank you for helping to make the MS a place that everyone can enjoy.

^^ Awww...

I remembered a report of mine that I had included screenshots as proof besides log file.

Did you get the pastebin code from the download section of that blog? I have that one laying on my comp right now. I Like how the custom pastebin even has the custom layout.

Don't put the contents of the logfile in the logfile -URL- box dammit, I've had two incidents of this and I'm going to start banning people from ms.srb2.org if it continues.

That is all.

Also, the pastebin is a hacked up one, notice the theme selection tool (cookie based, I'm lazy).

Dark Warrior said:
If, after warning them, they continue, stay in the game for a good 10 minutes or so to collect a decent logfile.
I have a question about this one. I personally don't like playing in real coop mode if they do change it to a coop stage. Would saying something like "stay in legal levels" after you finish warning them and leave and come back when you see them in the illegal level again? Since I can see what level number they are in and what wads they have in the Srb2 MS launcher and the game type this is made possible. I also figure that they are not going to go back to the illegal level when I am in there.

Torgo said:
Dark Warrior said:
If, after warning them, they continue, stay in the game for a good 10 minutes or so to collect a decent logfile.
I have a question about this one. I personally don't like playing in real coop mode if they do change it to a coop stage. Would saying something like "stay in legal levels" after you finish warning them and leave and come back when you see them in the illegal level again? Since I can see what level number they are in and what wads they have in the Srb2 MS launcher and the game type this is made possible. I also figure that they are not going to go back to the illegal level when I am in there.

If they go back to it after being warned, a straight out MS launcher screenshot or a reconnection and showmap command will suffice.

What about the other comands to help you report the server like
Listserv
nodes
gametype and
listwad?

Updated the first post with commands you would need to report servers.

-DW Edit: For those wondering, these commands don't appear because they were removed for being entirely redundant. See my post at the bottom of the topic.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
OMG SHUDDUP TORGO UR MAKIN IT HARDAR FOR US TOO PLAE IN SA CITEE

And thanks, DW, for this topic.

OK, lolwut? I thought you were referring to gh1337.wad... *shot for the idea*

Torgo said:
Updated the first post with commands you would need to report servers.

Err, it usually logs the added wads and stuff in the first place. The commands are redundant, and usually are only skipped over when reading the logs anyways.

Torgo said:
Dark Warrior said:

You can also leave, change your name before you enter the same server, then see if they go back to the illegal level.

...Wait, wouldn't someone be able to write up a fake report just to get a person banned because they generally don't like them?

It's not really that hard. They can just copy the format of the log file and make their own little "Incident". Seriously, this could be a real problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back