Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Basically, instead of avoiding going on YouTube, Tumblr, and the likes for a day or two while completing the game, I have to avoid YouTube, Tumblr, and the likes for 16-18 days or so while waiting for the game to be released on my platform of choice and then completing it? I'm... I'm not sure what more of the game could be spoiled than what Sonic's official Twitter/Tumblr/YouTube accounts have already spoiled long ago, but I'm sure there's at least something I don't know about and want to experience on my own.

On one end, I would like for either all or none of its versions to be delayed... but on the other, if it's only one version that needs to be delayed, while the rest work fine and have been scheduled for a release for a long time, why take it away from them too? Hrm.

(Either way, I'm still a bit annoyed I have to avoid social media in order to avoid spoilers for so long...)

Yeah thats whats worrying everyone i know who bought the pc version. Just hang in there. It would be best to leave social media untill the 29th

I'm okay with the fact that PC Users are gonna have to wait more. The same thing happen with the PC Port of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, which was worth the wait.
I wonder if the PC Version of Sonic Mania will be worth the wait as well?

No Switch, gotta wait till the end of the month ;[

Trying to stop myself from listening to the entire soundtrack in the meantime

I've got it on the XBox One today as a treat for completing my University Finals and also my foot surgery. I haven't finished the full game yet, but will give a review of it so far.

It's an absolute blast to play. It really captures the nostalgia and the spirit of the 16 Bit Era. The controls and the movement feel perfect and with the 60 FPS, the animations and the sidescrolling is so smooth. The level design is large and filled with many areas of speed, platforming and exploration, along with burrowing design tropes from the 16 bit Sonic titles. The amount of SEGA references is quite cool as well. The story is simple, but works fine. Though it could do with explaining some of the story elements a bit more clearer. Some parts you have to assume that's what's going on in the story and can be confusing to keep up with what's going on.

The level design also fits with all 3 character playstyles, which compensate their abilities without changing the formula. To me, this is the top priority with 2D Sonic in which S3&K previously smashed that, and this game just does that as well.

The Special Stages are a real blast to play and some of my favourites yet. The only big issue I have with it though is the crazy difficulty spike in Special Stage 5 which required multiple retries before I even got it. The control is very sensitive on slow running speed, and quite stiff at high speed, so it's finding a balance and learning how to accustom to the change of control. Once that's done it's not too bad. Oh yeah not to mention the Special Stage rings are a real ball ache to find in some of the stages.

The soundtrack is just a breath of fresh air too. Tee Lopes has done some smashing tracks which are engraved in my brain and I can't stop thinking of it. The only one I find okay, but not amazing is the mid-boss theme. More of a personal opinion.

I need to finish the game before I can give my final verdict, but the only other issue I have is the lack of original stages. It feels more of a 67:33 ratio rather than 60:40. Although this was expected, I hope that a possibility of future DLC can compensate this. But the fantastic level design makes up for it.

For now, it's a 8.5/10 for me. Absolute blast to play and is a title that easily competes with the 2D Sonic as one of the best games in the series easily. If you haven't played it yet, get it as soon as you can. You definitely won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
There is a hilarious extra mode if you get enough Golden Medals. It's called "& Knuckles" mode. What does it do? It makes Knuckles follow you. Even Knuckles can team up with Knuckles! Wait... Knuckles & Knuckles is real? OH NO

There is a hilarious extra mode if you get enough Golden Medals. It's called "& Knuckles" mode. What does it do? It makes Knuckles follow you. Even Knuckles can team up with Knuckles! Wait... Knuckles & Knuckles is real? OH NO

Looks like SEGA is aware of the OHNO meme, i heard the Final Boss was also revealed, too.

We also now know who all can go super, IN LEVEL.
Sonic can obviously
Knuckles can again after 23 years, not counting the sonic 1 and 2 remakes
And Now Tails Can with just the Chaos emeralds! No birdies though, and not counting the remakes again.

IMG_0112.jpg

Got it after 5 attempts. World Record time in Green Hill Act 2 - 0:43:97 as Tails - XBox One version.

Last edited:
After getting all the Chaos Emeralds (finally) I've now got not only Super Sonic, but also Super Tails & Super Knuckles, which they both finally return at long last. I could not believe that they have returned after 23 years (not counting remakes) and my jaw dropped when I saw the text change. Super Knuckles has a hot pink glow and Super Tails glows peach in colour.

The transformation sprites for all 3 look fantastic and animate really well; actually giving them actual character when they transform. As for the music, I'll let you guys hear it for yourselves.

It looks like they jacked up Super Tails' flight speed as I swear he goes crazy fast flying now compared to S3&K. Also they've balanced him more now with Sonic & Knuckles by removing the flicky army. As that was originally meant to be his Hyper form in S3&K, that's why his Super form in that game was broken as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back