Suggestions

But what about the acid? Can't you just add some resistance to elemental shield so that its able to protect against acid?

Why add resistance to something that is basically water with the instant kill (or perhaps death pit) effect?

Why make a shield significantly more powerful than it is already? (and also capable of breaking maps with Emerald Coast style watery "death pits" if they were made the same way as acid)

Why add resistance to something that isn't even in SRB2's own levels anymore? Mystic himself had acid removed from ERZ2 for a reason. =V

2.2 needs to support 2.1 maps, luas, characters, etc. Really! Porting everytime could be a pain.

Too bad, because we've already revamped the character sprite system, the palette, how Lua handles angles, and how polyobjects are set up.

Unless you want these changes to be undone..?

Too bad, because we've already revamped the character sprite system, the palette, how Lua handles angles, and how polyobjects are set up.

Unless you want these changes to be undone..?

no, but it will be boring to port and report for other versions. I don't want to undone new settings but, at least 2.1 luas, maps and others to be supported.

Turns out that's WAY harder than just changing it. Porting sucks, yes, but there's just no practical way around it unless we don't want to change or add things, ever.

Frankly it's asking a lot to support 2.1 maps in 2.2, when we've already how polyobjects are set up (as already mentioned), and made setting up the No More Enemies special actually make sense. Both those things alone make it utterly impractical, perhaps impossible, to support 2.1 maps with those features entirely in 2.2 without some changes.

EDIT: oh right, the changes to NME are actually in the "next" branch up on GitLab/GitHub already.

Last edited:
ksRyhZV.png

Not pictured: A character's sprite set must end with an S_END marker, even when being followed immediately by another S_SKIN.

(also, sonic is no longer without an S_SKIN, this isn't a perfectly direct comparison so i probably should've picked the sprite ranges for tails or knuckles)

Last edited:
- made setting up the No More Enemies special actually make sense.
...Oh. I was wondering why that special wasn't working for me. :P

...Wait... Are the sprite frame range thingies now customizable on a per-skin basis without SOCs nor Lua (except S_Skin?), in a similar way to how was once planned (and scrapped) for some old mod? If so... My, that's really something I look forward to (even though I don't even make characters). (So, is it, or did I misinterpret something?)

You'll need SOC or Lua to add additional animations, but each animation can be any length and animations of zero length will default to other animations. This allows you to test a character with a single STNDA0 frame in your WAD, which will probably lead to a slight surge in rejected sprite rip submissions, but whatever. It's worth it.

(this has been talked about in 'fun before, even before i became a dev - so here's its first mb mention i guess)

Last edited:
So, does it break netplay this time, like in SRB2RP, or have you managed to find a fix for that?

All joking aside, this seems like a fairly interesting concept... one that will end up giving me multiple headaches in the near future, but if I can use this same method to apply overlays to the characters, it won't really be that way.

Given the expansion on frames, will we be getting ZDoom's extended rotations (9-G) sometime in the "near" future?

Goodness knows who would even want to sprite all those extra angles if we did add them, lol.
Well, for big angled scenery (for example the big Eggman statue, sprite ESTA in srb2.srb), especially if rendered in a 3D program (either as the sprite or as a base to make the sprite from), it might be nice. Not for general gameplay objects, though.

Could someone make it so that if player 2's analog mode is set to be on, when they pick the other person up in single player as AI Tails they retain analog control rather than switching to default?

Great features to improve Multiplayer mode in SRB2 :
  • "Reconnect" command so we can reconnect to the last server we were in, make it easier to rejoin last session without having to take a long trip to the server list and having to find which one of the servers in there is it .
  • Allow spectator mode in Co-op, Race and competition, so we don't have to worry about other players getting stuck in levels if i decided to leave for a while (with playersforexit all set in that server).
  • Ability to set the number of players required to reach the exit and change to next level (not only "one" or "all") .
  • Some console command or option to disallow changing skin in Co-op games, or at least to apply the same skin changing restrictions that are applied to Match/CTF (for admins only of course) .
  • Spectators names should be displayed under scoreboard in Special stages .
  • Ability to turn on/off item respawning for Co-op and similar gametypes .
That would really be very helpful .

Last edited:
Random suggestion, but can CastleBot FaceStabbers get some of invulnerability or a hitbox when they're charging at you? Right now they're glorified thrusting Crawlas and I think they deserve a bit more love as an actual enemy. For some reason I think I remember reading something about this but I couldn't find anything from searching this thread.

I'm not sure if this idea would cause them to become more annoying than they need to be, so it'd have to be played around with to find a good balance between Crawla and Sharp.

I figure this might be a somewhat weird spot to put this, but I have suggestions... not exactly for the game itself, but the forum.

* A new topic for Source Port Builds: Such as SRB2Wii and SRB2Mac. May come with a message stating that handhelds are typically not powerful enough to run SRB2.
* A topic for containing dev-comments on suggestions. Might help to cut down on duplicates, but this really isn't that important, and I can understand reasons to not have it.
* A page that acts as a GetWad Repo, containing all of the releases on the forum.
* A separate section in releases for MD2 Models, considering their popularity has risen.

I'd like to see a sector special or linedef effect that gives non-FOF flats the waving water effect, floor- and ceiling-wise. I can't imagine it would be hard to do.

if not already possible, a line def for music volume or music fade out. this could be used to make music track switches feel smoother instead of instant.

An example of where it could be used is the zoom tube in ERZ3 to Metal Sonic's Arena

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back