Slopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AshuraXDemon said:
If SRB2 had slopes can there be loops?

Heh, loops are pretty pointless, even in the classic Sonic games. They also, in my mind, were detrimental to the level design of Sonic Adventure 2. Sega says, "Oh, look; loops! We don't have bland and flat passageways in Radical Highway!" It might as well have; loops are purely cosmetic.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
It might as well have; loops are purely cosmetic.
Yes, but without the cosmetic elements, a game would be crap. Of course cosmetic elements come seccond to elements that allow function, but they are still important.

Think about this. Textures and flats. Those are cosmetic elements. Flowers, enemies, basic scenery objects. They are all cosmetic, apearance anyway. Objects could just be nothin but a 32x32 cube. Textures and flats could just be the little black and white checkered textures.
Your freakin' Dynamic Temple level. The background objects and sectors. Was any of that truely needed? No. It's cosmetic, but the level wouldn't be very appealing at all without them.

So, you want to play a level entirely made out of GFZROCK? Howabout REDWALL? To some extent, looking good is entirely necessary, although polish isn't.

Yes, but without the cosmetic elements, a game would be crap.

I for one care more for game play than graphics or cosmetics. (PS3s can go to hell). But Im not saying I care absolutely nothing for graphics. As long as I can tell what it is and it fits the current theme of whatever game I'm playing (which in srb2's case is perfect) I dont care if the graphics are smooth, detailed, or whether I can count how many polygons there are just by looking at it. The game has to be fun too.

Back to the main point of this 163 page monster topic:

Would it be possible to make walls transparent when your player is in front of a wall and the character is behind it?

wallIdea.jpg

Cosmetic elements as in like...background scenery and decoration, as well as slopes and loops. Then again, slopes and loops actually affected 2D Sonic gameplay; it allowed Sonic to go at full speed without going into a cheap danger, a technique necessary for ANY 2D Sonic level, even with a proper 2D mode.

Possibly have it that, if slopes are put in, the 2D Sonic can have it's sprites rotated? Though, this would have to be 2D exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back