• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

We have decided on something else for the time being. Something involving papersprites.

ADlxKK0.png

(One of) the new Battle maps, Eerie Grove Zone!

A little critical here, but that zone looks a little off

The fog and the skybox looks fantastic but the rectangular pumpkin and the weird hill protruding out from the fog makes everything look a little off

But otherwise, SRB2KART looks great, It's Mario Kart except, with SRB2 stages and fun courses. Can't wait for the full release as things look fantastic.

It's been a while, hasn't it?

The last time the weekly update went into more detail about what we want in our courses besides a simple screenshot was Crystal Abyss, which was quite a while ago. This week I'm going to go into detail about battle maps and provide some more detail than the usual.

This week's map is Fantastic Tabernacle by Tyrannosaur Chao:
4v42sDI.png

IFj96eb.png

LEEBmwa.png

WC27din.png

Based loosely off of classic JRPGs, Fantastic Tabernacle takes place in and outside of a large tower just above the cloud line. It's one of the Krew's current favorite battle maps because it plays to the strengths of our SRB2Kart's battle mode, which requires a different design than traditional Mario Kart.

Our maps in battle mode are very compact. Battle plays at the lowest kart speed, so long straights and circular loops result in a slow-paced goose chase that isn't much fun for anyone. Battle courses instead focus on tight locations that encourage risky encounters and discourage camping. The open area in the final screenshot gives you a lot of room to breathe, but counters it by adding in pitfalls should you get careless.

Most of the newer maps follow this set-up. Areas with a lot of space result in less cover from attacks or more chances to fall of course, while smaller, tighter areas are safer from random, roaming items, but in turn can't defend properly against focused attacks.

Does anyone recognize those Shining faces on the walls?

Last edited:
toaster pops in with a great looking homage to Sonic 1, Marble Zone, a battle map!

NG04E5J.png

LeafyTepidAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

HappyRelievedLark-size_restricted.gif

U432HIg.png

Marble Zone's layout design is inspired by Super Mario Kart Battle Maps, but expands on the concept by forcing players to plan their routes more consciously. Falling blocks will block of your original driving route, and lava falls can temporarily close off escape points.

Marble Zone isn't anybody's favorite level in the game that it came from, but it's definitely come into its own here.

Really like the look of both of those maps. I'm not the biggest Battle Mode guy but I will definitely give it another try with SRB2 Kart!

Kart now has a new dynamic camera! Horizontal position is always consistent now, only zooming out when you break top speed, so you aren't always escaping the camera, leading to a better feeling of control. The vertical position will lag behind, just a bit, to make those slopes feel like a roller coaster. When drifting, the camera will pan over to show where you're going for more visibility (and to make close corner cutting feel even tighter!). When boosting, the camera will zoom close in before zooming back out, giving big boosts greater feeling of power.

Noticed our new drift sparks and booster effects, too?

kart0359.gif

kart0362.gif

Kart now has a new dynamic camera! Horizontal position is always consistent now, only zooming out when you break top speed, so you aren't always escaping the camera, leading to a better feeling of control. The vertical position will lag behind, just a bit, to make those slopes feel like a roller coaster. When drifting, the camera will pan over to show where you're going for more visibility (and to make close corner cutting feel even tighter!). When boosting, the camera will zoom close in before zooming back out, giving big boosts greater feeling of power.

Noticed our new drift sparks and booster effects, too?

kart0359.gif

kart0362.gif

Nice updates and booster effect. I'm loving this so far! Keep up the great work!

Kart just looks incredible.

Absolutely incredible.

I have nothing else to say other than the Twinkle Park stage looks phenomenal.

and is that a new sky renderer i see?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back