Srb2 is eighteen years old?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many things we can do nowadays that just make me gawk. Let's ignore some of the cool things like slopes and polyobjects, even. I remember before the 128K blockmap limitation was removed, and maps couldn't get larger than a certain size. This might sound absurd, but even the old Mystic Realm maps were too big without that fix. IIRC, while it's before my time, GFZ2 is actually the size it is because at the time the map was made, the blockmap limit was 64K.

While I'm a huge fan of GFZ2, I wouldn't exactly call it a large map by any means. The size and level of detail even back in 1.X got absolutely incredible, never mind what we see today.

May be incredibly oldbie compared to others in this thread by this point, but it just occured to me v1.09.4 was released over 10 years ago as of writing. How about that.

There are so many things we can do nowadays that just make me gawk. Let's ignore some of the cool things like slopes and polyobjects, even. I remember before the 128K blockmap limitation was removed, and maps couldn't get larger than a certain size. This might sound absurd, but even the old Mystic Realm maps were too big without that fix. IIRC, while it's before my time, GFZ2 is actually the size it is because at the time the map was made, the blockmap limit was 64K.

While I'm a huge fan of GFZ2, I wouldn't exactly call it a large map by any means. The size and level of detail even back in 1.X got absolutely incredible, never mind what we see today.
Egg Palace was mind-blowing back then, yeah. I still remember the time I came back to replay it only to find that it felt... mostly normal sized. Such a weird, weird feeling, on that map.

GFZ2 wasn't just the size it was for that limitation - the corners of the map were actual corners to make it play nice with the blockmap better, weren't they?

I can't believe a post I made got this much attention, lol.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Speaking of games based off of games, I've got a question; should I make a mod for a game or a whole new game (the choice may seem obvious, but you would be surprised how stuck I am between WAD making and another project that a handful of you may know about).

It's also not true. The planet isn't stacked that badly in favor of children. Of course, around here I'd wager the number of people who actively remember 1998 is pretty small.

I was like thirteen when I found out about SRB2 in 2005, so I assume that half of us are pretty much adults now

Yeah when I was younger I'd keep promising myself that I'd stop playing this dumb kid's game when I reached X years old. Ha!

I cant believe i am still playing it to be frank. Regardless im still invested with what the community has to add to Srb2 as a whole.

Not forgeting the next major update, 2.2.

It's also not true. The planet isn't stacked that badly in favor of children. Of course, around here I'd wager the number of people who actively remember 1998 is pretty small.

I was in elementary school in 1998 which means I remember 1998 nicely.

I wish that I found this game sooner. I only found it when I typed Sonic Doom into youtube to see if they have a Sonic Doom version and then I found this SRB2 itself.

(SRB2 Halloween was released in same month as me I just thought that would be cool to mention)

Anyway the only reason I was able to find this community to begin with is because I found v2.0.6 on my brother's hard drive when I was cleaning it up and I figured I'd do a little research on it

Last edited:
(unless you're the developer, then ehhhhh)
You would actually be surprised at how this isn't the case. The time spent between version releases tends to blur despite the years. 2.2 will be my 3rd major release I'll see as a developer, and it still feels like only yesterday I was raging at PHONEHOME....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back