Team Sonic Racing is good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyKnuxFrom1.9T_T

Leave me alone!
After Sonic Forces I can easily say nobody is satisfied. We need a good modern Sonic game like Generations, Colors or Unleashed. But what we get :D Sonic Forces with poor and boring level design... At least graphics and musics are incredible. Anyway what I am trying to say is we need a Modern Sonic game with no wisps, no friends, no classic Sonic... Only Sonic! Nevermind we won't be able to play a new good modern Sonic game...

But at least we got a brand new racing game. I wanna be honest. When I first saw I hated. I mean what the f**k is wrong with SEGA! Why wisps are takes place in this game too!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ta9xbycx0s
But I saw team mechanic then I changed my mind. Game is not bad. What are you think?

The characters of this game from only Sonic universe. Is this a good thing?

Will you play game online with your best friend?

And did you like new map desings?

I think this game is not even close to Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed!

I can't think of it being a bad game, since all the sonic racing games made by sumo digital were good. However I can hardly see it topping Racing Transformed since it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. (Team mechanics are cool but that's about it).
There only being Sonic characters isn't really a turndown for me but I can see how other people would think of it as one.

I really do hope that there's a setting to turn down the amount of voice lines because this is SRB2 Kart Z levels of meme right now though.

This game honestly feels like a letdown to me. We won't know for sure if it's any good until it releases, but nothing about it has really caught my attention so far. I really liked the All Stars Racing games, so I'm quite sad to see a working formula go in favor of a team racing gimmick with only Sonic characters.

I still don't understand why Sonic has more kart racers than on-foot racers.

I mean, you could create race tracks built around the Boost formula. It'd be perfect marketing.

I presume it's a long-term reaction to the failure of Sonic R. Sonic R was visually on foot but controlled like a traditional racing game. This created an incredibly memorable experience back at release when I tried the game out at a demo kiosk, and having no idea how I was supposed to control the game. This is because by this point, Super Mario 64 was the industry standard control scheme for a platformer, and Sonic R visually looks like a platformer. Hence, I tried to play it like SM64 but that's not how the game controls at all. I grew rapidly frustrated and instead went over to try that Virtual Boy kiosk again. When your game is losing out to the Virtual Boy, you have done something very, very wrong.

By putting the characters into karts or other vehicles, they get the benefit that players assume that you're supposed to control it like a vehicle. This allows players to immediately understand the control scheme they need to use, and thus prevents the horrible first impression that Sonic R generated.

It looks good I guess, but I personally have never been a fan of Sonic or Mario Racing games, whether it's kart racing or on-foot racing.

Sonic R was long enough ago that I can't really believe it's a long term reaction to that. It's got a LOT of flaws, but I have difficulty classifying it as an objectively bad game. It just falls short of expectations to me.

Anyway, this is bad. Just the fact that we've gone from a Sega crossover to a purely Sonic one bores me to death. I've had 0 interest in this game.

I got Sonic R long after it was already dated, but I loved the complexity of the levels. However complex racing levels are impractical, especially since once you find the fastest way through you'll do that every time.

Having played Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (the first one) a few times, I really do think it is objectively better than Sonic R ever was. Maybe it's less about the long-term failure of Sonic R and more a response to All Stars Racing being well received?

...Sonic R was visually on foot but controlled like a traditional racing game...I tried to play it like SM64 but that's not how the game controls at all. I grew rapidly frustrated and instead went over to try that Virtual Boy kiosk again. When your game is losing out to the Virtual Boy, you have done something very, very wrong.

By putting the characters into karts or other vehicles, they get the benefit that players assume that you're supposed to control it like a vehicle. This allows players to immediately understand the control scheme they need to use, and thus prevents the horrible first impression that Sonic R generated.

I've always felt that the boost formula would fit perfectly into a racing game, with enough tweaks. At least, to me, Sonic definitely feels like a vehicle once he starts boosting. He even has drifting and such.

The issue isn't really being at speed, but when standing still. Players who see Sonic standing on the ground expect hitting right on the stick will cause him to walk right, whereas if he's in a car they do not have that expectation. That's the big issue with on-foot Sonic racing games and I really don't think they can get around that outside of putting in a racing mode in one of their actual platformers, like SA2's versus mode did. (Which was fun, if shallow and unbalanced.)

I think what Puppyfaic is suggesting is taking the engine and mechanics for something like Sonic Generations or Unleashed and turning it into an actual fully-fledged racing game, bringing the controls and mechanics with it. I would agree that those mechanics are perfect for a racing game, but you'd have to design the levels like regular modern Sonic stages but make them loop. I'm not sure that Sonic Team has enough of a team left to do such a thing.

Last edited:
The sonic games have been going downhill, in respect to this game, at first I had no interest in it, thinking of it as a ripoff of SSASRT, but that changed since it actually had a plot, I just hope they will follow the old sonic formula, no rushing, and make a good plot like they used to. The high points of the game in my eyes may possibly oscillate between the online mode and story mode, in regards to story, I ain't seeing much now, but it leaves a little mystery, hope SEGA will do it's black magic, remember though assumptions can be dangerous, but it does not mean hope is lost either.

Actually the challenge stages that will feature in story mode caught my eye in the recent update. I wonder how robust they'll feel in practice, compared to the challenge modes that acted as filler in Sonic Unleashed Wii.

The last racing game I played with a story mode is Crash Team Racing, and it was pretty fun even if it just was a bunch of hubs that locked out certain races with one guy until you beat another one. Story modes in sports games usually only need to give you an excuse to race the AI in a certain order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back