Invalid Hosting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yllandril

Always Wins By Default
For a while now I've been hosting my own custom made maps on the master server. I go by this same name in game, Yllandril, and some people may or may not recognize me. I've made a small collection of maps and never seemed to have any issues while hosting them for people to join. I never intended for them to be up for download from any sites or links, just something to get from me hosting in the game only.

I know of 4shared by looking through these forums for problems that others have had, but I've never posted anything online for download before. I am also paranoid that people would try to steal my work and claim it as their own, so I refrained from putting anything online. Recently though people have either just not joined my server, or they're having issues joining. Earlier this morning my maps looked to be fine, but after adding extra music into the game through other programs later on, people were unable to join. I've limited the size of the maps that host the extra music to below 3,000 Kilobytes, and I've used the maxsend console code to put the maximum download size to 51,200 but I'm told that the download freezes about halfway through, then after countless attempts to rejoin and retry the download, nothing but connection timeouts persist.

So I'm either still doing something wrong with my maps, or there isn't really anything I can do about it. I'm unsure how large a "big" file is considered in SRB2 tech, but personally I don't think 3 Megabytes would be that large. Hopefully there is a way around this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmmmmmm...
well, i cant download even 1 meg on srb2, but i dont know about other people. its quite rare for people to claim your work, so you should get over it and try to upload them to 4shared.

Last edited:
SRB2's netcode is absolute garbage, so you should try to make your file as small as physically possible if you want them to download the file from the server. It SHOULD work regardless of the filesize, but in practical reality the lag generated when someone is downloading makes it problematic and it goes quite slowly, and will occasionally disconnect. If you want to use custom music and have people download from the server, use MIDI.

Also, just a general note: by not providing your work anywhere but your server, you kinda make it even EASIER for someone to steal your work by joining your server and going and posting it elsewhere as their own, because nobody will know who made the file to begin with. If you want to prevent plagiarism, your best bet would actually be to post it into submissions of the SRB2MB, and the next best bet would be to set up a web site and offer them up for download. It's a lot harder for someone to claim your work as their own when people know who it's attributed to.

Okay then. I'll take a look at 4shared and see what I can do to host them there. Thank you for the help, and also thank you, Mystic, for I didn't even think that it would make things easier for them to plagiarize.

Also as a side note/edit to my maps. It turns out that one of the songs I had made to fit into one of my maps doesn't seem to work. Whenever I load it into my map using XWE, somehow the map data is overwrote with the song data, and I am then unable to play my map until I remove the music. I have tested the song with all my maps, and they all give me the same result. I tested it with the first song, but it always worked out fine, regardless of which map it was placed in. So I've decided that I'll just not use it, and only keep the first song and try hosting again some time later.

This isn't really a bug, it should've had its own thread.
But now that the problem is solved, it doesn't really matter.
I hope people will like your maps!

Sorry to post again on a topic that's practically closed now, but I have one last quick question since I'm new to these forums and I don't know much about it. Would I be able to advertise about my room and custom maps on a different thread and have a link that goes to my files in 4shared?

It does say no advertising outside of signatures. But upon reading some other forum posts, I stumbled across another page from somebodies signature that had a link to a separate page that lead to download links to what they created and posted on the site. So I asked for the wrong thing, sorry. I meant to ask if there is a way to put up a thread or topic that shows my maps and things, and has download links right here in the forums.

I meant to ask if there is a way to put up a thread or topic that shows my maps and things, and has download links right here in the forums.

There is. It's called submissions. Just make sure you read the submission guidelines first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back