Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let me to post my review.

(firstly, I can guarantee I played at least 3 times these maps on MS with other players)

MAPA8 - Heavenly Fountain Zone by SonicMaster

Technical issues: runs very well, no lags, errors, unclosed sector or visible missing textures. Nothing bad found.

Theme and scenery: Adopted scenery is uniform along the whole map. But... if the theme is a "Fountain", I think that fountain should receive more importance... that looks like a yet-another-scenic element; anyway this is a minor issue. I think the gray texture pallet made this map a tad depressing...

Regarding to visibility, I doubt you would get lost in that map, the few problems I found about visibility are: 1) first death pit just after Player start is hard to see: I remember when we played the map, the first thing that almost everyone did was to fall into death pit. 2) Just after teleporter corridor, it's hard to see where you'll land: the first thing that comes up to my mind is "I will fall into death pit?!"

Paths and Flow: This is the most important thing of race (ORLY?!)

Narrow tunnel breaks the flow: height steps forces Sonic player to thok desperately.

Fountain breaks the flow, too: if you are using Sonic or Knuckles you have to stop or slow down if you use the fountain. It's a interesting trick, but you have to do some tries to perform it perfectly... what's not good for a circuit map.

Teleporter corridor fits very well for Sonic - but if Tails falls in water, it's almost impossible to dodge teleporters. If you're using Tails, before this corridor, you have to stop, aim, spin and fly to pass it.

I don't know if this was intended: Tails can go straight from 1st checkpoint to 2nd checkpoint without using that narrow tunnel.

Gameplay: It's a playable and enjoyable map. You used good tricks but I think you could make it more interesting.

Rating: 7/10

MAPA9 - Aqueduct Circuit Zone by Ezer.Arch

I think I don't have so much to say...

This map came from an idea that almost whole circuit is covered by water. Even so it's possible to develop speed. There are various kinds of obstacles to face along circuit, some members have pointed out some of them here.

I have to admit I hadn't expended enough time planning it (was my fault, really). I had done some sketches in paper first, later I sat down and started to draw pieces and placed them forming a path.

I'll stop here... Thanks for judging.

Rating: *poses for a photo*/10

Re: Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2

FuriousFox said:
Judging will end March 9th at midnight GMT (March 8th, 7:00 PM EST).

Patience SM. They're not always going to be posted immediatly after the end of the period.

The results are in!
N represents a dropped vote, X represents a perfect score.

Single Player:
New Super Mario Zone by fawfulfan: X3N21212322242132 = 2.8
North Pole Factory Zone by SonicMaster: 9567877566576678N = 6.5625
Sapphire Coast Zone Act 2 by Blade the Hedgehog: 6656676656N657667 = 6
Mr E Special Stage 1 by Glaber: 454120523331223322 = 2.6111111111111111111111111111111

Match:
MAPA1 - Boringe by SonicMaster: 6556355 = 5
MAPA2 - Toxic Plant Zone by HyperKnux: 6N6766 = 6.2
MAPA3 - Rook's Valley Zone by Drake Spyker: 8677457 = 6.2857142857142857142857142857143
MAPA4 - Destiny Islands by Darkness Claw: 5545340 = 3.7142857142857142857142857142857
MAPA5 - Castle de Space by Space K. Green: 7758486 = 6.4285714285714285714285714285714

CTF:
MAPA6 - Space Base Zone by Jellybones69: 64644N = 4.8
MAPA7 - Overheated Zone by SonicMaster: 6675555 = 5.5714285714285714285714285714286

Circuit:
MAPA8 - Heavenly Fountain Zone by SonicMaster: 867X53357 = 6.375
MAPA9 - Aqueduct Circuit Zone by Ezer.Arch: 78N66697 = 7

Congragulations to SonicMaster, Space K. Green, and Ezer.Arch! Enjoy your golden usernames for the next little while!

I come here to congratulate Space K. Green for your 1st victory, especially for a new member in community. I hope you stay with us and bring us new surprises. (...! where's he?)

From my part, I think my map did a long trip in this contest: started well, later went down, visited the Gates of the Hell; at the end receives an atonement.... Blame me for it, I admit I should've challenged more the player, but I had decided: no hazards, no death pit etc... next time, I'll expend more time planning the map first. I'll try.

I don't think Space K. Green is a new member, I remember seeing him a long time ago, then he vanished. Either that or I'm crazy.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a new member... I was here long ago. Forgot what it was that distracted me from this site, though.

Thanks for the congratulations, Ezer. I'm really happy that my map won, despite the awesome competition.

Dunno what I'll work on next after I release the "custom content" version of the map, though... That one person mentioned this would make a good NiGHTS map, and I was thinking that as well ever since I figured out how to set up a NiGHTS track.

But then again, there's an experiment I'm running as well...

I've checked the scores, and my map got a 6.5, I THINK.

Whew, I'm not in last place. I was last time.

Anyway, I think it's time to seriously reconsider my level design technique. I'm going to take a break from level design and recharge my creative energy.

Kuja said:
Eh? Where's that 8 I gave Blade?
Apparently, Spazzo excluded your votes. You voting post is rather small, so he might have overlooked it.

As far as I know, results for New Super Mario Zone, North Pole Factory Zone and Heavenly Fountain Zone are wrong (excluding Kuja's votes, including them all SP results are wrong anyway). It should be 2.625, 6.5 and 6.

Blade said:
I've checked the scores, and my map got a 6.5, I THINK.
I think I know why you think so: You have divided 104/16 instead of 104/17.

Last I checked, I didn't need to write a giant paragraph explaining why I liked or hated a map. Everything that I felt about each map was already mentioned through everyone else's posts, so I refrained from saying so and allowed explanations to be taken via PM. It saves time for those who won't read it, anyway. But as it is-yeah. Not really the most accurate number, there.

I'm not angry, as it really doesn't involve me directly, anyway. Congrats to the winners, however.

Kuja said:
Last I checked, I didn't need to write a giant paragraph explaining why I liked or hated a map.
I don't think Spazzo excluded your votes intentionally. It's just really easy to overlook if you're just checking the page for votes.

Actually, I thought the NSMB level was really cool - it could use some touching up, but it was very representative of how much better SRB2 is at being a Mario game than a Sonic game. If Mario movement was programmed in, and some fixes were made with the blocks (which has been done in 1.1), it could work really well.

Yeah, there's some blind jumps and such, but nothing that can't be tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back