Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime 2.0 said:
Tslxruf Village, 10/10
Lolwut? Tell me that's a prank.
Prime 2.0 said:
On IRC, when ZarroTsu asked me what the contest maps were like, he said "So how many were absolute **** and how many were made by Mystic?". I answered, "All but one. One was made by a god." Because up till now, it was assumed impossible to balance the characters in a race map.\
You're kidding. I don't know what you're on, but I can't consider it perfect. And it's my own map!

It looks so funny when I see other people type in "Tslxruf Village". The Tslxruf is completely random.

I should start voting now. On to judging!

Circuit:

Freezing Flare: 4/10
The flow kept breaking up for no reason, and ice in an active volcano? Lolwut?

Tslxruf Village: SRB2TBE/10
See above. And did anyone find all the monitors?

Endless Mine: 4/10
Glaber Syndrome. I do not like breaking some rock for the other players, and it was kinda cramped.

Wacky Track: 6/10
There were a lot of things that seem to pop into your way. The design itself's pretty good, but that fault, along with sky seizures, did not help you.

CTF:

Spring Passage: 5/10
OK, I guess. But awful movement lines, and the middle was really the only good part.

Season's Greetings: Purple Flurp/10
I see my problem. The layout's kinda linear, and the blue team is harder to see in their base than the red in theirs.

What happened to Warpshade's map?

Match:

Arial Match: 6/10
A kinda good layout, but the pillars to the monitor ruin the map.

Last Stand: 2/10
You're a rail away from every weapon ring on that map. That kills any chance this thing had.

More to come.

EDIT: An SP vote!

Ivy Caverns: 3/10
The colormaps suck, to be blunt. And too many drops.

glaber said:
MAPA7 - Freezing Flare Zone by Simsmagic 3/5
First thought, "Hailfire peaks?"

Well, simsmagic's Wiki userpage says that is what the level is inspired by. And apparently Freezeflame Galaxy as well. (Almost signed myself Wikistyle with –~~~~)

RedEchidna said:
Season's Greetings: Purple Flurp/10
I see my problem. The layout's kinda linear...

Umm...

Cloud Palace is linear; Daimondus CTF (scored 8.27) is linear; Isolated Canyon (scored 8.29) is linear; Metal Star (scored abt 8.7) is pretty linear; Lime Forest is linear; Silver Cascade is linear.

Honestly, whenever CTF maps are not linear, it's highly annoying (at least for me). For the first few netgames of CTF I played, I got lost in Conveyor Conflict. For my first time in Castle Canyon in a netgame, I got lost (as well as two other people). Both of those are non-linear. And they were also made by Mystic XD.

You can put a slight twist on linearity. I think, however, you shouldn't veer away from linearity for something like a CTF map. CTF maps that are overly wide also overwhelm me (and probably others as well).

HYPERKNUX said:
Ivy Caverns Zone act 1 by Azure Hawk 2.5/10

Come on Azure Hawk, you can do much better than this. I didn't like this one at all. The level very much lacked in scenery, some paths were a little confusing, and the water palette was way too bright for my eyes to cope. Tone it down a bit. The design most of it was extremely flat as well with the additional cheap death pit every few minutes. It slowly started inproving near the end like Mystic said, but in my personall opinion, the stage needs serious editing, or revamped.

Emerald Valley Zone by I'll Begin 8.5/10

Oh nice stage there :P, this was really great, however, some bits were a bit flat in level design, and a few bits did kinda lack in screnery, and the stage was a bit too short in my opinion, otherwise I would given it a 10.

Haven't finished all reviews yet. Will do soon.
FuriousFox said:
The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals.

lol

glaber said:
I wound up downloading the patched version just to be able to play it.
So, why haven't you voted on the map, yet?

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Forever Forest, 6/10
The thing that really annoyed me about this map and killed the rest of it was the one small raised grass section that looked somewhat like a swastika. I never want to play this zone again because of that; that just utterly killed the zone.
What the crap; I can't believe how Nazi-phobic eveybody is. It's just a symbol that, given the texturing, adds to the feel of a ruins-ish level. Heck, it doesn't even LOOK like a swatiska. Are you smoking something?

Either way, I couldn't find out how to complete the zone. It was certainly the 1P map that PLAYED the best.
Partly this is my fault for adding The Button. However, y'all seem to be afraid of a little bit of puzzle solving. I can't believe that nobody figured out that there was a balcony over on the left. I mean, seriously.

Mystic said:
Actually, Kuja, giving the map a zero for failure to load is pretty standard procedure around here. There are far worse reasons to give a map a bad score. While I'd prefer people try the fixed version, it is the author's fault that he sent a broken WAD, so scores are going to reflect that.
I'm totally not surprised. In any event, I couldn't care less if I win or not, simply because I've gotten some of the best criticism evar.

BlueZero4 said:
Forever Forest, 6/10
The thing that really annoyed me about this map and killed the rest of it was the one small raised grass section that looked somewhat like a swastika. I never want to play this zone again because of that; that just utterly killed the zone.
What the crap; I can't believe how Nazi-phobic eveybody is. It's just a symbol that, given the texturing, adds to the feel of a ruins-ish level. Heck, it doesn't even LOOK like a swatiska. Are you smoking something?

No, I'm not smoking anything, and I don't appreciate that comment. The symbol looks a lot different, yes, but someone else at first glance thought it looked like a swastika as well, and it still slightly resembles one. Rather than complaining about my comment, just don't do that next time. I also fail to see how that made it look more ruins-ish. The level would have looked just fine without the symbol; this level already has tons of detail.

BlueZero4 said:
Either way, I couldn't find out how to complete the zone. It was certainly the 1P map that PLAYED the best.
Partly this is my fault for adding The Button. However, y'all seem to be afraid of a little bit of puzzle solving. I can't believe that nobody figured out that there was a balcony over on the left. I mean, seriously.

If nobody figured it out, then you designed that area of your level incorrectly. Simple as that:
The Wiki said:
Likewise, it's a good idea to test your map by having someone who hasn't seen it before try to run through it. Make sure they don't get confused and go around in circles, and if they do, try to alter the stage so that kind of situation doesn't happen. Nothing is more frustrating than having no idea where you're supposed to go.

New to voting

Hi, everyone! I'm just going to do voting on contest levels, and hopefully I can help others avoid...THE SYNDROMES! XD

I'll start off with the CTF levels, since there are only *two* of them.

Spring Passage Zone by HYPERKNUX, 5/10
LOL Moire waterfalls. Okay, but for me, it seemed like you could get the rail ring and then explosion ring in 5 seconds or less. That was somewhat of an issue in Iron Turret Zone, especially when you are dealing with people who are mouselook experts. Also, just like in Iron Turret and in most other levels with rail rings in them, the rail ring is right on an excellent sniping point. It's okay to give somewhat of a challenge to get to a sniping spot after you have a rail ring. Other than that, it stuck to the fundamentals and felt like an official SRB2 stage.

Season's Greetings Zone by redechidna1, 8/10
Yay for ROFL and LOL! (I wish you could make a 3-way CTF so that this would include LMBO ^_^) I was intrigued by the fact that it was symmetrical but had grass for the Red team and snow for the Blue team. The rail rings had excellent placement and the infinity was cool but not too powerful in the stage. I love the zone that greets the season also because it's the ideal size for a CTF level. Plus, the whole level is accessible, meaning your opponents can strike from anywhere. The only issue I had with the level was that the alternate paths next to the base are just a little too elaborate. Watch out for that in your next level.

Match next.

Arial Match Zone by Cheese, 2/10
Uh, isn't this a little familiar? This one is too small and most people would just stick to the outside path rather than risk a plunge when using Sonic. The random monitor in the center is easy for Tails or Knux to get to, but Sonic has to go to the bottom and bounce up springs when it takes a lot of time to do so. Either that, or jump on all too narrow platforms leading to the center. Good grief!

Last Stand Zone by ST218, 3/10
Pretty big. It also had every weapon ring except rail. They were spread out, but it was a little too much. And just what are you going to do with those homing rings? Unless your quarry is relatively close, there's no way you can connect with homing. More than likely, your target is far away firing auto bombs at you.

Sand Fish Zone by ST218, 4/10
Two huge stages in one contest? Bad move ST218. And the same weapon rings you used in Last Stand? I see a problem. Sand Fish in particular is more open than Last Stand was. The only reason I am giving you one point more than Last Stand is because of the trap over the auto ring, plus quicksand and spikes on the way there. Wait, there's another pair in the upper middle room. Oh yeah, spring placement that makes it difficult to get those. Hmmmmmmmm........

Physics Lab Zone by Jazz, 7/10
This might be a good level to put in Jazz Attack. I was absolutely mesmerized by how you could walk through one color of the room and come out in a different color of the room. Excellent! And you can jump through the floor...or...is it the ceiling?!? This is just plain fun! I also loved the visuals. It is so cool to see all the technology sort of stuff in a level. Maybe it's a cyberworld for Megaman.EXE to explore. That would also be cool. ^_^ Or maybe it's just a...jazzy physics lab! *shot* I say good job with placement of explosion, and again, nice visuals!

BlueZero4 said:
Forever Forest, 6/10

No, I'm not smoking anything, and I don't appreciate that comment. The symbol looks a lot different, yes, but someone else at first glance thought it looked like a swastika as well, and it still slightly resembles one. Rather than complaining about my comment, just don't do that next time. I also fail to see how that made it look more ruins-ish. The level would have looked just fine without the symbol; this level already has tons of detail.

I also don't think BlueZero4 appreciates the fact that you dislike his map almost entirely because of a shape that somewhat resembles a swatiska. In all seriousness, if you're that phobic about symbols, I have no idea how you even survive in this world. Its not like his map has some kind of super-secret hidden resemblence to the atrocities that were commited under that symbol...

Not to mention:

FuriousFox said:
Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Look SonicMaster, I can safely assume that everyone here hates what the Nazis did to their fellow human beings. But you are relating an SRB2 map to the pinnacle of evil and mass murder when the two have absolutely nothing in common. That in itself just makes no sense to me...

BlueZero4 said:
If nobody figured it out, then you designed that area of your level incorrectly. Simple as that:
The Wiki said:
Likewise, it's a good idea to test your map by having someone who hasn't seen it before try to run through it. Make sure they don't get confused and go around in circles, and if they do, try to alter the stage so that kind of situation doesn't happen. Nothing is more frustrating than having no idea where you're supposed to go.
You know, the Wiki isn't an almighty rulebook of dos and don'ts. It's written by people who've been making levels for SRB2 for a while now, just like you and me. Heck, you've been contributing to that age a lot. You might as well just say it yourself in your own words rather than quote the Wiki.

Furthermore, you know as well as I do that I'm human being fully capable of making my own decisions and opinions. I know how I want to design my levels, and making the area with button difficult was a conscious design decision, not an accident. Quit treating it like one.

Almost forgot to judge the race maps!

I should probably judge the circuit levels; however, I will not judge Wacky Track because I was watching Sonicmaster develop it, and my view would be too biased.

That being said, here we go:

Freezing Flare Zone by Simsmagic, 5/10
This one is pretty good, although there were a few places where the flow of the race was a bit broken. I liked the visuals though; fire and ice combine to make glass easily break! XD

Tslxruf Village Zone by redechidna1, 3/10
I had a few problems with pronouncing "Tslxruf"...just kidding. I did have issues with that one area where it's really dark. I can see how using a shield in OpenGL would help, but is that really necessary? F11 doesn't help, either, so at first I got lost. Using Tails, I was able to get through it without falling into the pit, but I can see where Sonic would have trouble. It doesn't matter whether or not you can make a race where no character has an advantage; if Sonic has trouble with something, chances are Tails and Knux will have trouble with it also.

Endless Mine Zone by Glaber, 1/10
Uhhhhhhhh......yeah. (*cough* Glaber Syndrome *cough*) NiGHTS maps are supposed to have obstacles, yes, but NOT places where you can get stuck for longer than ten seconds. I am speaking of two places in particular, both of which are close to each other. I am ESPECIALLY referring to the two cannons and breaking platform problem. Bouncing back and forth gets to be very annoying. I think it's your first NiGHTS map I have ever seen, so I'll spare you from a zero.

Cepheus: GUARDS, STOP THE GLABER SYNDROME!
Guards: Yes, sir!

Wacky Track by Sonicmaster, 1337/OVER 9000!
See above.

GOSH, I hate misunderstandings with a passion.

I didn't get remotely scared or anything. Why would he try to promote anything like that? I just didn't like the symbol because it sort of looked like one. It came off to me as: "Well, that's dumb." I'm not trying to say that that map is OMG PROMOTING EVIL, because it's NOT.

As for surviving, I've had a dad that has verbally abused my mom and me a LOT. I am still alive.

Once again, I hate misunderstandings. I wasn't trying to accuse BlueZero4 of being evil. Now I know it was just an innocent misunderstanding.

OK, well, if I can't rate the map lower because of that, then I'll change my vote to an 8.

I don't hate you, BlueZero4. I don't think you're evil. I just want this conversation to stop.

Damn I forgot aobut the decimal thing. Sorry, I only just noticed it. those were my true opinions, but I'll take out the decimals, and put my feedback back on here again if it's allowed.

Ivy Caverns Zone act 1 by Azure Hawk. 2/10

Come on Azure Hawk, you can do much better than this. I didn't like this one at all. The level very much lacked in scenery, some paths were a little confusing, and the water palette was way too bright for my eyes to cope. Tone it down a bit. The design most of it was extremely flat as well with the additional cheap death pit every few minutes. It slowly started inproving near the end like Mystic said, but in my personall opinion, the stage needs serious editing, or revamped.

Emerald Valley Zone by I'll Begin 8/10

Oh nice stage there :P, this was really great, however, some bits were a bit flat in level design, and a few bits did kinda lack in screnery, and the stage was a bit too short in my opinion, otherwise I would given it a 10.

Haven't finished all reviews yet. Will do soon.

BlueZero4 said:
Furthermore, you know as well as I do that I'm human being fully capable of making my own decisions and opinions. I know how I want to design my levels, and making the area with button difficult was a conscious design decision, not an accident. Quit treating it like one.

Sorry if I made it sound like I said it was an accident, but I know that that wasn't an accident. It wasn't a good idea. The fact that players had trouble completing the level because of puzzles and not actual coordination skill is usually frowned upon. I would frown upon that, too. That's why people hate Carnival Night Zone Act 2. Heck, I never figured that out myself. Instead, my dad did.

OK, so what you did is apparently not as bad. We just don't want to solve puzzles on the main path. So we're going to reflect that in our votes. I just think it'd be better if you did that on a secret path (or to make a secret path). Difficulty due to thinking is not something I'm fond of in Sonic, unless it's Emerald Hunt.

I didn't get remotely scared or anything. Why would he try to promote anything like that? I just didn't like the symbol because it sort of looked like one. It came off to me as: "Well, that's dumb." I'm not trying to say that that map is OMG PROMOTING EVIL, because it's NOT.

As for surviving, I've had a dad that has verbally abused my mom and me a LOT. I am still alive.

Once again, I hate misunderstandings. I wasn't trying to accuse BlueZero4 of being evil. Now I know it was just an innocent misunderstanding.

OK, well, if I can't rate the map lower because of that, then I'll change my vote to an 8.

I don't hate you, BlueZero4. I don't think you're evil. I just want this conversation to stop.

If you thought that was bad, Doom actually had it for a while and Doom 2 still does on maps 31 and 32.

glaber said:

If you thought that was bad, Doom actually had it for a while and Doom 2 still does on maps 31 and 32.

Well, the fact that he didn't actually try to put a symbol that resembled a swastika clears things up. I'm not bothered anymore. And yes, I would think Doom would be bad. I know, it's the game that allowed SRB2 to exist. But I myself don't appreciate some of the things that are in Doom (even the first one). Doom 64 had intentional Satanic imagery. And since it was very blatant and intentional, well, I would never play that.

Re: Almost forgot to judge the race maps!

Gemini Spark said:
Endless Mine Zone by Glaber, 1/10
Uhhhhhhhh......yeah. (*cough* Glaber Syndrome *cough*) NiGHTS maps are supposed to have obstacles, yes, but NOT places where you can get stuck for longer than ten seconds. I am speaking of two places in particular, both of which are close to each other. I am ESPECIALLY referring to the two cannons and breaking platform problem. Bouncing back and forth gets to be very annoying. I think it's your first NiGHTS map I have ever seen, so I'll spare you from a zero.

Cepheus: GUARDS, STOP THE GLABER SYNDROME!
Guards: Yes, sir!
Well I'm sorry for that block part. The only reason I did it like that was because the crumble by touch version didn't work with NiGHTS Sonic. And if this really is the first Nights stage of mine you've played then go unlock Stocking Stuffer from SRB2Christmas1094 for my first Single Player NiGHTS stage.

OK, so what you did is apparently not as bad. We just don't want to solve puzzles on the main path. So we're going to reflect that in our votes. I just think it'd be better if you did that on a secret path (or to make a secret path). Difficulty due to thinking is not something I'm fond of in Sonic, unless it's Emerald Hunt.
It's definately nice to know that. I'm definately planning on using some degree of problem solving in making act 2, but I'm going to be keeping act 1 the way it is.

And yes, I would think Doom would be bad. I know, it's the game that allowed SRB2 to exist. But I myself don't appreciate some of the things that are in Doom (even the first one). Doom 64 had intentional Satanic imagery. And since it was very blatant and intentional, well, I would never play that.
Perhaps Chex Quest is more up your alley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back