2014, the Year of 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do realize that SRB2CS only works in match/ctf.

So you're saying that When you Made the code for Match play, It was all from scratch,
or did you take the basics of a mode that you've already created, Like Coop, but changed it for Match Style of netplay?

If it's the second option, I'm sure there is a way to port CSMatch/CTF to Coop, and with Coop comes Race.

So Tag/H&S would be your only big problem.
& Let's be honest, Nobody plays those modes anymore, *Rarely*

None of the SRB2 staff made it, it was all done by a guy that went around here by the name of LXShadow

JTE or Matt I'm guessing have the programming expertise to plug it in, but it would probably take forever just to port it into the current release, let alone bug fix it and make it work for the rest of the game modes

Hell, it doesn't even fully work with match/ctf, and those are the modes it was made for.

Dropped items and randomized items don't work. Even worse, basically all of the important information about the stage isn't getting passed, meaning that stages with any kind of interaction between players and the stage would just break outright. IIRC Tidal Palace isn't synched properly in SRB2CS for this reason, and that's a very basic gargoyle box running the water level. Actual complicated features like ERZ would be utterly broken.

LXShadow gets major props for actually DOING something about it instead of just whining about the netcode like everyone else, but it's not even close to a complete enough state to be usable for the game itself.

Last edited:
The current netcode isn't even functional anyway. I'd prefer to have fun and experience some bugs, than to slog through a choppy and unresponsive game that constantly freezes up. Just sayin'.

The current netcode is crappy, but it most definitely works fine when playing on decent connections with a ping below 150 ms or so and less than 10 players. On a LAN, what the netcode was actually designed for, it runs nearly flawlessly. While I empathize with those of you who have crappy connections trying to play across oceans, I don't see the logic in breaking the game for everyone because lower-end internet causes lag spikes. If you don't like that, I suggest you pick up LXShadow's torch and finish what he started.

Now hold on a minute -- my specs, internet, and location well exceed what should be necessary to play SRB2 smoothly. I'm constantly playing online on any other game (MM8BDM, Team Fortress 2, Awesomenauts, Worms, etc.) with low latency and no connection issues, and my FPS is always above 60. But with SRB2, my framerate is cut in half for the entirety that I'm online. There's no good reason for this, my computer isn't a toaster and my router is clearly competent; the only reasonable explanation that I can figure for it is that SRB2 -- and specifically SRB2 -- is fucking stupid at handling 64-bit Windows 7 or multiple processors. SRB2CS even fixes this.

What would it take JTE or Matt or whoever to try and solve this one issue? I'm not asking for an entire rework right now either, I just want to know: can you make SRB2 not a stuttering shitosaurus on my comp?

Relax. They are doing everything they can. I for one would rather them TRY to fix the netcode. But I honestly think the netcode is alright for Srb2. Minecraft uses a similar system to Srb2cs, where instead of causing lag, it freezes the players position for a bit. But that will throw everyone out of sync. Having lag is better the unresponsive players. In my opinion anyway.

but it most definitely works fine when playing on decent connections with a ping below 150 ms or so.

I have a Ping ranging from 57 to 85, depending on a vary of things.

Most players have Theirs Under 200,
but there is always that One player that joins with a 800+ Ping!!

Would it be wrong if we could set joining limits based on their ping number?
Yeah that would be kind of mean, and unfair.
However,

When there's lag, who do you think gets blamed?
I much rather have 4 players that are Lag free, then 7 unhappy Lag Shot Players.

Also, how much Data, is Srb2 Sending anyways? Because I have 10MB Upload Speed(9.8 while sending 33 megabytes *Onward* of data), but Task Mange Says only 0.1 is being used.
What is this point of this?

Many people have Fast Download Speeds, so we should be able to chose how much data, we want to send over.

*I'm not talking about "Maxsend", though if you don't have it set to 51200, go change it now.*

There's no good reason for this, my computer isn't a toaster and my router is clearly competent; the only reasonable explanation that I can figure for it is that SRB2 -- and specifically SRB2 -- is fucking stupid at handling 64-bit Windows 7 or multiple processors.
I don't know what your issue is, but Windows 7 64-bit is not the reason for your lag. I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with multiple processors, and SRB2 runs flawlessly online. So don't blame it on the OS.

Windows 7 64-bit is not the reason for your lag. I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with multiple processors, and SRB2 runs flawlessly online. So don't blame it on the OS.

The OS is not what that matter is, I have the Same problem Running Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. Haven't tried a 16-bit computer, nor do I have one at the moment, But I can say Srb2 should only be played up to a 32-bit comp.

Which Doom was Srb2 made in, so I can test to see if it's not Srb2's Programmers, but the Doom Engine being not optimized for 64.

It could be Lack of Programming knowledge also,
Using Objective-C was a Bad move in the first place anyways.
Unless you're wanting to port Srb2 to Iphone, Just stick with Cpp & SDL, or whatever lib you use.

The netcode in SRB2 is as good as it can get for a long time IMO. Remember this is a fan game.

Honestly I prefer the way it freezes instead of still going. Just because of that fact you can actually still move around afterwards without any issue. The problem in CB is exactly the same as any other FPS game when it comes to handling lag, though it actually doesn't have that great resemblence. If a player joins with GIANT ping, you can't hit ANYONE that well at all. It's so out of sync. I rather have freezing lagshots from railrings than no hits at all.

Anyway, I think I had heard (well, read) someone say something about Brak Eggman and a sprite revamp. Is that an actual thing or is my mind being dumb? 8D

CB is exactly the same as any other FPS game when it comes to handling lag

This has nothing to do with CB.
All that is, is better OpenGL capability.

I think a Ping Limiter would be in order.
Atlest so we have the choice on how much Lag, we want to put up with today.

Last edited:
How would your object oriented programming, Ever work in C?
What are you talking about? There is no object-oriented programming in SRB2.

This has nothing to do with CB.
All that is, is better OpenGL capability.
I assume he meant SRB2CS, not SRB2CB.

I think a Ping Limiter would be in order.
Atlest so we have the choice on how much Lag, we want to put up with today.
This feature already exists.

I don't know what your issue is, but Windows 7 64-bit is not the reason for your lag. I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with multiple processors, and SRB2 runs flawlessly online. So don't blame it on the OS.

I've never had issues with playing online myself, but I'm not that active in multiplayer. Last time I was in a serious net game of any mode, it was when 1.09 was still the latest release. I'm mostly a single player guy and only care about online coop.

Still, I played the game under WINE on Linux, through its linux native ports, the Windows port on Vista, Win7, and XP. All played online on multiple system architectures without a hitch, (32-bit on my desktop, and 64-bit on my laptop.) so it's definitely not the OS's fault.

I'm gonna second Burning-Fox's question about brak eggman since it seems like it might have been overlooked amidst the multiplayer discussion, will we be seeing a better quality look for it this version? i'd assume if not we will eventually anyway since it's pretty jarring right now, at least to me.

The other thing im curious about is now that RVZ2 is on the cards instead of BMZ2, will the old tune that was made for it be used, i heard it in beta quest and while the quality was poor, i can imagine that being very good if the quality was improved.

I know the second one isn't really a 2.1 related question since RVZ2 won't be there, but its just something im curious about.

No Bluecore, SRB2 is just plain C. Not C++, not Objective-C, but just C. (Do you C what I mean?)

I think you should go look up things to be double sure what you know is right, assuming things is very bad.

furythehog: BMZ2's theme wasn't even made for it originally, it was an update to the old theme for Midnight Freeze Zone.

Last edited:
Anyways Object-orientation is simply the logical extension of older techniques such as structured programming and abstract data types. Anyone could clearly see that in Srb2's Code.
I know what object orientation is, thank you very much. But if you think you're seeing object orientation in SRB2's code, you must be hallucinating, because SRB2 is written in a language that doesn't support object orientation.

Anyway, I think I had heard (well, read) someone say something about Brak Eggman and a sprite revamp. Is that an actual thing or is my mind being dumb? 8D
Brak Eggman is getting a gameplay revamp for 2.1. I don't know about the sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back