Super SRB2 Kart Z =NOT EXACTLY CANCELED=

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, we don't yet have a Bows-, uh, Eggman's Castle stage.

I think that Simsmagic's Darkvile Castle is the nearest we've got so far to an Eggman's Castle.

Also, with maybe the exception of the custom tracks and/or FZX/MK64's RR, I wouldn't be putting any of my F-Zero pack foward as part of vanilla SRB2Kart. And even then, the FZX/MK64 RR would most likely be a hidden/unlockable track, or maybe even used as the OTHER RR for the end of any story mode that SRB2Kart might have - a bit like how GX had two Phantom Roads: one that was used in every other mode, and one which was somewhat different for the last stage of Story Mode.

And besides, that pack's an addon to SRB2Kart, a bit like how D00D Kart was an addon to SRB2 Riders.

Not to tramp over anyone's parade but...

I've actually seen quite a few people think about Crash Team Racing (The Crash Bandicoot Go-Karting Series) And was thinking that perhaps some of those maps are worth a port. I've considered porting one, but I've got enough on my plate and want to finish that up first. Some of my friends, as well as in other netgames, thought it would be fun to add some of those maps in. Like Clockwork Wumpa, Cortex Castle, Hot Air Speedway, Nitrous Oxide, some of them actually have interesting styles to them.

Additionally, it wouldn't be hard to remake with SRB2's level design actually. It uses colormaps just like SRB2 does, as well as the topography! All it needs is custom textures, and it should be all set, actually. I feel like doing some textures for it maybe, I just need to get that game back.. somehow. As well as texture rips.

But anyway, no more rambling.

My tl;dr statement is, there are also lots of CTR and CNK fans, and perhaps trying out some of those levels are worth a shot :P

EDIT:

I think we should focus on more variation in the track themes. For example, we don't yet have a Bows-, uh, Eggman's Castle stage. And we definitely should focus less on ports since, as you've said already, we already have enough of them.

OH yeah, I actually remember someone trying to make a Bowser's Castle. It was a lot of fun.. I really wished they would continue it.

Secondly, someone DID try to make an Eggman Castle back about a year or so ago. I think it was by Fawfulfan. You could talk to him about it if you want. The Bow- I mean, Eggman's Castle he made was not that bad, but it kind of lacked playability. It was very hard to maneuver around some parts. It didn't have a lot of "Eggman" in it either.

And before I forget.. I have yet to see an Egg Rock Zone style map for SRB2Kart. That would actually be rather fitting. Driving on ceilings, anyone? ^^

Last edited:
Why don't I follow up on that and try mapping it sometime? It's worth a shot! It doesn't look to bad for me to do, with my mapping style. I'd make sure it has a lot for you to see too! Of course, I'd have to do that when I have time free.

Cortex Castle was considered for porting quite some time ago, but it was never started. No point in starting it now. Again, I kind of want people to, y'know, stop porting things.

Well, barring a few of the F-Zero tracks that I've yet to port over in my pack, I'm trying to focus towards making my own maps, rather than porting tracks over to SRB2Kart. And besides, porting can be tricky at times - especally if you want to make a really decent port that feels like the track from the game itself, and not a pale shadow of it.

sneak preview:
srb20180.png

Triple hitstun gogogo.

EDIT: On a second thought, I think that's okay. Getting hit by 3 shells in a row is like megashroom squashing a low-recovery character or a banana spinout.

Last edited:
Update 12.03.03

The code seems to be horribly broken!

Until further notice, SRB2Kart is unavailable.

Last edited:
You could always unload the new versions of the maps for now, and then, once the code's fixed, release the bug-fixed EXE.

Different MD5 means this wouldn't work.

Oh. Ok, then.

Anyway, I've been working on my newly released map, because somehow it was crashing in a given area. But at least now it doesn't do it now. And, thanks to some luck and a WW shield, and not because of the changed layout of the track, I managed to set a time which was only just quicker than the best time for the old version of the track. But still, I made a few mistakes in that run, so it could still be beaten.

Update 12.03.03

The code seems to be horribly broken!

Until further notice, SRB2Kart is unavailable.

Now see, this shows why:

A) The "dev team" (or rather, just ZarroTsu) for SRB2Kart need to check their new versions before releasing them (and keep backups of older versions of the source, even).

B) We actually need more people sorting out SRB2 Kart's source code - throwing the main bulk of the workload on one person just doesn't cut it.

The HUD item boxes are again, outdated ( here's the latest version I have: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7986587/KartRemakes_3-1.bmp ), and if you MUST have those stupid Hold item icons, stop making HUD shit blink. It's incredibly distracting and incredibly annoying. for items that blink as you use them (fire flower, gold shroom), make ONLY the item inside blink. just put a blank item box behind it or something. MUCH less annoying.

EDIT: Sprites by Iceman404, by the way. Don't want misguided credits going around. Cyber also colaberated with Iceman404 for the new(er) Pipe Frame design, which we will use when its finished seeing as how I've been slacking putting the old new Pipe Frame on the other characters anyway.

Last edited:
I hope that that feather in that HUD item box image is gonna be used. It's better off as a rare item than a shield, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back