Contest Discussion Topic (2.1.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we be worried? There has been no discussion about current OLDC on the forum so far. If the contest really lacks entries, I might enter my 1 min long level.

Last edited:
Right now we stand at seven single player, three match, and two capture the flag entries. If you've got an unfinished entry that you think you can fix up to be good quality in an afternoon, I'd wager you've still got a shot at winning if that's your goal, but I'd suggest against rushing to the point where it sucks. Multiplayer appears especially weak right now, but that's not surprising considering the netplay issues we were having in the last contest.

Oh magnifiscent: 2.1.11 BROKEN MY ENTRY.
The polyobjects are fucked up and the level crashes upon seeing them in software. Why in the hell is that thing happening?!

Last edited:
As a reminder, the deadline is in one hour. If you have something you want to enter but have not already done so, now is the time.

I wanted to add my tig awds but i didnt make any level headers and its a tiny map in three different versions XD the story is simple, egmmans heats up the sky, so you can only step on shadows unless you want to bur yourself..

Something is wrong, when I already have a new level ready to send into the OLDC if the last one I had to rush like mad.

srb20666.png

srb20664.png

srb20669.png

Welcome to Eggflagsion Zone, the CTF version of Eggmansion. having gotten wind of people thinking making a decent mansion CTF level with vanilla textures was super hard, I took it upon myself to prove that it could be done, and this is what came out after 2 days of work.

Last edited:
For the next OLDC, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to make a levelpack merging all of the submissions? It's a bit frustrating having to add them all individually. And for those who want to have the OLDC submissions as their own .wads, keep both options?

Resources can easily conflict in stages using custom stuff, like SOCs, Lua, and even textures. This is the reason why the multiplayer contests, where the stages are merged, have banned custom resources for so long. We don't merge the single player entries because they wouldn't work in a single file. This is why you have to close the game and load up the next file each time, because otherwise some part of each file could conflict with another one. Considering how easy it is to do this, I don't see any problem with that.

Merging all the Single Player wads would involve hefty checking through every entry to prevent clashes in all sorts of ways, especially now we have Lua scripts where they could end up applying to every map if not coded right. Clearly no one would want to deal with that at all.

That, and Single Player entries can sometimes be quite large in the past, which lead to the SP zip being split into two zips on those occasions. Everything in a single wad would mean we'd have to resort to a split rar to put it on the MB as post attachments. ...I could go on, but there's probably no need.

Last edited:
The best reason is "I want to be able to delete the shit levels and only keep the good ones".

Also, I think Prime showed off a way to do it more simpler and faster by using a batch file, to not have that much of a problem.

Want to save some time when setting up your playthrough? Make a folder named "oldc14-2" and put it in your SRB2 folder, and place the SP maps inside. Then copy the following into a text file before changing the extention to .bat

Code:
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_autumnvalley.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_gravitygarden.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_koopagarrison.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_phantomgadget.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\scr_shadowcastle.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\s_cloudconvoy.wad
srb2win.exe -file oldc14-2\s_quickman.wad
Place the .bat file in your SRB2 folder, and thereafter using it will boot SRB2 with one wad from the list, and do nothing until you close SRB2, after which it will restart SRB2 with the next wad in the list until finished. Close the console window the .bat file opens to interrupt this process.

Screenshots of my next Match map for OLDC ... Do not steal my Idea =P

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 713
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    290 KB · Views: 694
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 693
Here are some screenshots of my next Match Level that is currently in progress. I'll be working a bit more on this level before submitting it.

Attachments

• srb20008.png
    srb20008.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 696
  • srb20009.png
    srb20009.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 704
  • srb20011.png
    srb20011.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 675
  • srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 686
Here's something cool that I added to my Match Level, a kitchen.

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 741
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 686
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 699
Since everyone else is posting previews, I guess I'll post one too.

1zk4iU2.png

(I know the framerate's unusually low. This room is proving surprisingly difficult to optimize.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back