View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018   #13
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Honestly I really like all of the classic special stages except Sonic 1, and that's primarily because Sonic 1's special stage 3 is so incredibly bullshit that even with memorization you're just going to lose every once in a while to falling across the entire map at uncontrollable speeds.

Sonic 2's special stages seem divisive nowadays, and I think part of that is that they're both challenging and memorization-based and you are absolutely going to fail them a lot until you succeed. There seems to be a lot of hyperbole on that, with a lot of older players also seem to have forgotten the learning process they had to get to the point where they can trivially complete them, and a lot of newer players not considering stage memorization to be a reasonable mechanic. I think there's a middle ground there, but of course I grew up in an era where memorization and ingraining something into your muscle memory to complete it was quite common.

On the actual topic, the main thing I really want to see fixed in Sonic CD is a removal of the loading sequences that were needed in 1993 but sure aren't anymore now that we aren't playing on a 1x CD drive. Time travel would feel so much more satisfying to me if it was instantaneous and it just instantly swapped the maps with zero load time at all.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote