Thokker - Let's play "Kick the Crawla"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, this thread got bumped? Good, 'cause I've been meaning to say that I can't believe how long it took me to catch on to this:

- If games are frequently stalemating, setting a time limit of ~7 minutes per match tends to keep things rolling.

You sly dog, you.

That is so true. The pacing of thokker is really slow. The average time it takes to score 3 points is about 15 or so minutes depending on the size of the map of course.

10 minutes is probably enough time for someone to score and some comebacks. Just like a full lengh match game.

EDIT: usually when i host. I put the minutes to 5 or 7 whilst in playing match. It speeds up the pacing. And i get throught most of the vanilla maps

Last edited:
You do wish alot of things in 2.2

First of all: SLOPES. Slopes are going to be in 2.2. A Sonic game isn't really a "Sonic" game without slopes or anything. That's the only things that remain in SRB2 to be a perfect Sonic action besides loops.
Second: That's fun. But this game needs to be bigger like wich team has more goals, wins. Game ends at 10 minutes (5 for each of the 2 Timers) like First and Second Timer like every other Soccer games.

Now. Here's a point thats been on my mind for a while now. What came first

Rocket League or

SRB2 Thokker?

That is so true. The pacing of thokker is really slow. The average time it takes to score 3 points is about 15 or so minutes depending on the size of the map of course.

Nah, the pacing is fine, but like you said, map size does come into play as to how long it may take to score goals. Usually in the small maps, scoring 3 goals within 7 minutes isn't too much of a problem(at least from what I've experienced). The idea of the recommended 7 minute limit is probably to prevent players from staying in one map for too long, should they regularly be in a stalemate position while playing. If the score happens to be even after that time has passed, the match goes into overtime, which makes the match continue for longer(until the next goal wins).

What I was trying to say in my previous post is that there's some subliminal messaging going on here with the "7 minutes". Just take a moment to think about it. =3

Game ends at 10 minutes (5 for each of the 2 Timers) like First and Second Timer like every other Soccer games.

I think this is a cool idea actually; having a first and second half for each match. Of course, it's hard to say whether it's worth the effort to even make that a thing, because it doesn't make that big of a difference and would probably be more of an inconvenience anyway. The thing about one long timer that's more appealing to me is that teams don't get interrupted mid-game from any progress they might've made in guiding the ball towards the opposition's goal.

Thokker came out last month, Rocket League came out in July of 2015. I think we now know what came first.
True, but I will say that Thokker was in development for quite a long time as well. Even before Rocket League was released, so at the very least, it's probably safe to say that Rocket League didn't have any impact on Thokker during early stages(or even at all. Correct me if I'm wrong though.).

Thokker was born out of a custom gametype created during the 2.0 era called "Tumbleweed Soccer". As a combination of a joke and a netgame stress-test for slopes, about a year ago Red created the tumbleweed soccer map now known as Tumbleweed Canyon, and since she was bored and jobless at the time she used some Lua to set up both a rudimentary round system and and some actually-functional goalzones. It turns out a non-flat map and some formal presentation on gametype rules is enough to make tumbleweed soccer actively hold people's interests, so what became Thokker ended up outliving those slope beta tests and started becoming a full gametype unto itself.

We DO have some ideas as to how Thokker matches can be sped up, but that'll have to wait for the next major version of Thokker (coming... some time this summer? Don't hold us to that date.) In the meantime, a 1.1 bugfix/map pack update is probably overdue so once I've gotten this coursework done I'll start poking Red about this.

As for Thokker in 2.2? I think the best thing to say to that would be a post Mystic made a little while back. It's on the radar, but there's enough behind-the-scenes concerns that it's not a priority and I'd be actively susprised if it made it in before 2.2.x (where x is whatever minor version happens around maybe six months after initial release).

Last edited:
To entertain those who are wondering: the first Thokker test netgame was May 16, 2015. The concept technically does slightly predate Rocket League's release by a couple of months! Also, it didn't impact us because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the Thokker team who's played it, and that was just one short session two weeks ago

(I had nothing useful to say. Sorry to get you guys' hopes up)

Also, while we'd like to eventually add a default time limit to Thokker rounds, I think it'd need a custom time limit handler first that doesn't count down during kickoff/post-goal time. I'd have to hack a bit more at the EXE to trick the menus into modifying the custom time handler's value instead of the built-in one's, but that's probably totally feasible maybe. (Also maybe I'd limit overtime to a minute or so before just calling the match a draw. I dunno. Probably add a cvar for it or something.)

Last edited:
Quick question: will there be offline mode competitive gameplay available for people with shitty laptops?

Thokker was born out of a custom gametype created during the 2.0 era called "Tumbleweed Soccer". As a combination of a joke and a netgame stress-test for slopes, about a year ago Red created the tumbleweed soccer map now known as Tumbleweed Canyon, and since he was bored and jobless at the time he used some Lua to set up both a rudimentary round system and and some actually-functional goalzones. It turns out a non-flat map and some formal presentation on gametype rules is enough to make tumbleweed soccer actively hold people's interests, so what became Thokker ended up outliving those slope beta tests and started becoming a full gametype unto itself.

Ah, so back then, it was kind of a happy accident that turned out to be more than what was initially expected. I like that. That's pretty cool. Funny how these things just work out, huh? =3

Trivia

To entertain those who are wondering: the first Thokker test netgame was May 16, 2015. The concept technically does slightly predate Rocket League's release by a couple of months!

I knew it, thokker came before Rocket League!

I played around with the ball by myself. At first it was annoying. It felt too hard to get up hills, and the ball felt too bouncy to work with. Then I discovered actually thokking at it made it actually go somewhere. Then I actually had a decent amount of fun just trying to get the ball into the goal. You should make single player maps for this, it's surprisingly fun by yourself. The only problem is that the ball IS a bit too bouncy, it can be sent flying at times and then you're waiting for it to come back. Also, the Bubsy 3D map sucks ass. I can't for the life of me figure out how you get the ball into the goal, the cliff is too high. And it's considered medium! Still, I hope it makes it into vanilla SRB2.

Last edited:
I gave this a spin and it's pretty neat. Pity I've never been able to convince my friends to try SRB2 (despite my best efforts), I think it would be a blast with friends.

It actually took me a few seconds to notice the slopes and start "SQUEEE"ing over them. They fit pretty naturally, and look and feel great, BTW.

Honestly, I think the highlights of this are the different ball types with their slightly different physics (at least, they all feel like they do), although Glacier Gear's "ball spawn" mechanic is super neat (I'd like to see more of this!), and Nameless Base's goals are really fun to score into, as the ball kinda rolls in if you get it into the larger "cup".

...BTW, that music for Nameless Base...It's from Etrian Odyssey, isn't it? I'm POSITIVE that it is, although I can't quite remember from which part of which game it's from, and that really bothers me (It's a game series I truly adore)

Wow, I feel so bad for discovering this just now. I missed out on a lot, it seems. The maps are amazing, especially the Bubsy 3D one. Good stuff. This is yet another proof that Team Smiles is probably the best thing to happen to SRB2 since a long time, you guys do some really incredible stuff. Good luck on completing 2.2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back