Mansion Of Souls - *Horror map*

Hendrix

The guy of horror maps.
Hey there, people!

I'm releasing now my project: Mansion Of Souls! A horror map with a complex storyline that will be revealed during the gameplay. To have the complete experience, you must complete all the 3 finals:
- Bad Ending 1 (Normal);
- Bad Ending 2 (Secret);
- Good Ending (Secret).

Notes: to unlock the secret finals, you must pay attention on details and tips. Use headphones and don't disable audio for complete experience. It may not work properly on multiplayer gaming. If script text is not displaying, try pressing F3 or using "showhud on".
- New version with "PT-BR" translate (do not add it together with normal version);
- Minor bug fixes.

- LJ Sonic

Hope you all enjoy it!

Attachments

• Mansion_Wallpaper.png
    Mansion_Wallpaper.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 4,742
  • srb20407.png
    srb20407.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 3,270
  • srb20405.png
    srb20405.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,959
  • srb20388.png
    srb20388.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 3,642
  • srb20393.png
    srb20393.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 3,297
  • S_MansionOfSouls_v1.1.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 3,922
Last edited:
Well that was a strange, eerie experience. I won't pretend to know what actually happened, but I enjoyed it quite a bit! I actually gasped a little when I first got to the "second layer" and looked down that dark corridor...

I can tell there's a lot of effort and personality put into this. It has an unsettling weirdness to the bits of story that you encounter which I like! It gave me the uncomfortable feeling that I didn't know what would or could happen next. I probably won't be able to put in the time to understand what actually went on, sadly.

It's quite cramped, though, which actually isn't a big problem if the player goes into first person. If this is your intention, then you should really say so in your post! Otherwise you're probably gonna hear that complaint more than a few times. Additionally, some of the dialogue had weird extra characters hanging on the end of the sentences for me. This isn't intentional, right? The problem seemed to go away in the last half of the level. Those messages, especially the first note, don't seem to hang around long enough though. I'm not a slow reader, but I'm a slow understander, and I usually have to read the stuff on-screen twice to really "get it". You should prolong the length that the messages stick around.

Other than that, good work! It's not every day you get to play a unique level like this. I liked the atmosphere, and the music and sounds especially added to the creepy vibe.

I got to some "Secret Final 2" corridor, then got stuck in a small room with four flames where I was supposed to find a switch or something and after accidentally killing myself with those flames apparently I respawned in a bad spot and lost my two remaining lives and had to start over

So that happened

Really don't understand the point of these horror maps

DED Big Skull

Woah, another horror map! Nice, this is what I waiting for, I was thinking it have jumpscares, all nice! But, I found a funny issue on the Bad ending 1, when the player isn't in the floor, can move, and enjoying the moment, I did the spindash and killed the big skull.

srb20018.gif

You should tag all the sectors in the room and not use the center of the room (on Zone Builder), and don't use the floor-touch effect, use the anywhere in sector effect.

EDIT: Another thing that I noticed, the Skull is using Goomba's MOBJ? Because when I killed him, the death sprite was a smashed goomba

Last edited:
V1.1 update

Hey there, people!
v1.1 update is now out.

Thanks for all the criticism and help!

I got all of the endings and I have to say, I really enjoyed this. The whole thing was pretty surreal from start to finish, and I like in games where it messes with your expectations and sense of direction. Bad Ending 2 was probably my favorite since it shows the world collapsing around you, but I was also concerned about what would happen when I was in the path for the Good Ending. All in all, very well done.

I got all of the endings and I have to say, I really enjoyed this. The whole thing was pretty surreal from start to finish, and I like in games where it messes with your expectations and sense of direction. Bad Ending 2 was probably my favorite since it shows the world collapsing around you, but I was also concerned about what would happen when I was in the path for the Good Ending. All in all, very well done.

I'm very grateful for your review! Thanks for playing :)

Gotta say, I quite enjoyed this map, and that's coming from someone who normally HATES horror, never really has been my thing. I honestly would like to see more puzzle maps like this, whether they're horror themed or not.

As a side note, how does one get the good ending? Maybe I'm just blind but I can only seem to find out how to get the normal ending and the secret bad ending. Is there a choice to make prior to the one at the road that I'm missing, or is it done via a side route I missing during the normal/secret bad ending route?

Also, I find it funny how you pass by a dead Sonic, and it told me "You walked by you're own dead body! And yet, I was Shadow.

Gotta say, I quite enjoyed this map, and that's coming from someone who normally HATES horror, never really has been my thing. I honestly would like to see more puzzle maps like this, whether they're horror themed or not.

As a side note, how does one get the good ending? Maybe I'm just blind but I can only seem to find out how to get the normal ending and the secret bad ending. Is there a choice to make prior to the one at the road that I'm missing, or is it done via a side route I missing during the normal/secret bad ending route?

Also, I find it funny how you pass by a dead Sonic, and it told me "You walked by you're own dead body! And yet, I was Shadow.

Thank you very much for supporting and playing! I'm really grateful for this!

By the way, when you get the "Normal Final", you must search the black paint with a ring in its front around the gates room (the room in that you must search the buttons for open the doors/gates).

Last edited:
I've never tried a horror map before, but wow, what a map to start with!
I enjoyed it from beginning to end. And I'm not done with it yet, as I still need to get the secret bad ending. (BTW if you could tell me how to get it I would be very thankful.)

I've never tried a horror map before, but wow, what a map to start with!
I enjoyed it from beginning to end. And I'm not done with it yet, as I still need to get the secret bad ending. (BTW if you could tell me how to get it I would be very thankful.)

Thank you very much for playing it and supporting! Glad you enjoyed it.

Bad ending 1 - Go into the forest; Bad ending 2 - Follow the road & Good ending - Get into the black painting with a ring in its front around the "gates room".

I already got the secret bad ending on my first playthrough

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

I also saw a piece of grass when i no-clipped through a door

Had a pretty fun time with this one, even online with friends! The music and atmosphere kept us on the edge of our seats, and the mystery of it all enticed us to keep moving forward.

There were a few accidental deaths here and there, particularly when it came to tables, but it was mostly otherwise glitch-free and can probably be attributed to our hyperactive spinning around.

There was one particular annoying issue we came across, however, relating to one of the endings.

When going inside the house, it took some effort to have our characters actually fall through the painting on the floor. A collision issue, maybe?

For those looking to playing this map online, be warned that some doors will close permanently when a player character enters them, so try to stick together or else you may be locked out from progressing!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back